The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Posts 1,201 to 1,225 of 1289

User Info Menu

Here's a thing I noticed today

So you have a cascade (a version of cycle 4 where every second chord is a first inversion)

eg
    Dm G/B C F/A Bo E/G# Am

In the outer voices it goes tenth, thirteenth, tenth, thirteenth etc

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screenshot-2023-03-22-21-59-48-png

Notice how we flip the third from the treble to the bass - this means we can run the same diminution - in this case 3-1-2-3, and it leads elegantly onto the next note in each case, and you get an easy way to do imitative counterpoint.

The root goes from bass to treble so you could do a little decoration there too.

EDIT you can also see it as a canon

Sick, bro, as JS Bach would have said, or more likely, ah yes flipping obvious m8. In fact I stole it from Guiliani's Fughetta.

So you could go from open triad to.. err... opener triad, or drop 2 to drop 2/3 with that counterpoint. Maybe drop a voice in the second case to simplify the fingering for contrapuntal decoration. Both sound NOICE. Could probably do other, more modern, stuff too. But the third/sixth thing is very trad. Maybe I could work out an equivalent scheme using 4th/5th or 7th/9th for the MODERNZ.

Works well on All the Things You Are. And Autumn Leaves obviously.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 03-23-2023 at 04:20 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm working exclusively on 3 part 4ths, putting together a multi tiered approach with chord shape grids, aids on how to navigate, ear training approaches and then suggestions on how they can be used over diatonic changes.
    It's fascinating how they can change the entire harmonic and emotional impact merely by virtue of the fact that it's harmony in 4ths. Diatonic 4ths at that. Voice led at that.
    This is turning out to be potentially weeks or months worth of work to integrate these sounds and applications into my playing, but it's SO cool.
    I'll have some chord grids for closed voicings soon, then spread after that. It's a whole new "grab" vocabulary.
    I might use this as the first week's "idea to chew on" in the Super Chops for voice leaders thread. Certainly no lack of material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I'm working exclusively on 3 part 4ths, putting together a multi tiered approach with chord shape grids, aids on how to navigate, ear training approaches and then suggestions on how they can be used over diatonic changes.
    It's fascinating how they can change the entire harmonic and emotional impact merely by virtue of the fact that it's harmony in 4ths. Diatonic 4ths at that. Voice led at that.
    This is turning out to be potentially weeks or months worth of work to integrate these sounds and applications into my playing, but it's SO cool.
    I'll have some chord grids for closed voicings soon, then spread after that. It's a whole new "grab" vocabulary.
    I might use this as the first week's "idea to chew on" in the Super Chops for voice leaders thread. Certainly no lack of material.
    I’ll look out for that!

User Info Menu

4 part fourths. Very cool because diatonically, they're not grouped the same way I'm used to, ex: I and II are alike, III is a b2, IV is like I, V is like I, VI is like I and VII has the b2b5.

I'm starting to use these more frequently as I get used to them and they're changing the ways I hear chord. In cycles, they reveal the character of the mode, yet their 4th qualities hide the obvious sounds we're used to. They make the evident ambiguous.
    Try the cyles using these "new grabs". I've found this chord grid chart helpful for me to visualize where my fingers go. Also, by playing these as dyads (2 of the 3 notes at a time) I can help train my ears to the wonderful sounds of these intervals.
    Combine these with your usual staple chords and you can get some very fresh sounds.
    These are close voicings. I'll do another chart for spread voicings as I get to them.
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-epson026-jpg
    Obviously these are not gridded to open position but it's the paper I could get. The root note is marked by the black dot, 2 and 5 marked accordingly.

User Info Menu

I quite like going through the inversions up and down the neck before moving to the next chord.

For instance in cycle 2 drop 2
    Cmaj7 Cmaj7/E Cmaj7/G Cmaj7/B Cmaj7
    Dm7/C Dm7/A Dm7/F Dm7 Dm7/C
    Em7/B etc

this is fun with the three part fourths too.

I’ll try and record this at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I quite like going through the inversions up and down the neck before moving to the next chord.

For instance in cycle 2 drop 2
    Cmaj7 Cmaj7/E Cmaj7/G Cmaj7/B Cmaj7
    Dm7/C Dm7/A Dm7/F Dm7 Dm7/C
    Em7/B etc

this is fun with the three part fourths too.

I’ll try and record this at some point.
    I just spent some time with this. It's a very useful exercise especially when learning a new chord scale.

Of course you can make it more interesting by playing maybe two inversions connected by melodic movement in any voice before going to the next pair of inversions etc.

What I'm finding with the almanacs is that you stay in a sound you like for a while then move on when it gets a bit boring but when you come back to it you build upon your previous knowledge and really cement those sounds/voicings in

For example stay using drop 2 top 4 strings voicings for a while, get bored with them, move onto three part 4ths, get bored with them then when you revisit the drop 2's you really cement them in.

Now to find more creative ways of using these new harmonies

User Info Menu

4 part fourths. Very cool because diatonically, they're not grouped the same way I'm used to, ex: I and II are alike, III is a b2, IV is like I, V is like I, VI is like I and VII has the b2b5.

I'm starting to use these more frequently as I get used to them and they're changing the ways I hear chord. In cycles, they reveal the character of the mode, yet their 4th qualities hide the obvious sounds we're used to. They make the evident ambiguous.
    Try the cyles using these "new grabs". I've found this chord grid chart helpful for me to visualize where my fingers go. Also, by playing these as dyads (2 of the 3 notes at a time) I can help train my ears to the wonderful sounds of these intervals.
    Combine these with your usual staple chords and you can get some very fresh sounds.
    These are close voicings. I'll do another chart for spread voicings as I get to them.
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-epson026-jpg
    Obviously these are not gridded to open position but it's the paper I could get. The root note is marked by the black dot, 2 and 5 marked accordingly.
    Nic one David. I'm messing with these using 357 triads and melodic lines. Nice! Edit: you can get some nice contrary motion using these triads

The middle box in the second line should have the D note one fret higher.

These are cool sounds but my favourites included FBC on top 3 strings and BCF. Nice and dissonant.

We'll keep going

User Info Menu

My play thing for today.

Mixing 3 part 4ths with triads in a suspension chain.

It's a good idea, something to work with and expand anyway.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LbANwm0uwYg?feature=share

User Info Menu

I know that there are Ben fans here.

Just found this on my phone. The opening phrase of The Windows of the World. Such a great tune from Ben's Day after Day album.

Ben Monder The Windows of the World Transcription #benmonder - YouTube

User Info Menu

I'll be busy the next few days before the meeting on Saturday so I just recorded the little bit that I have written so far.

It's a short idea but ripe for embellishment and continuation.

Starts with quartal idea then goes into a typical baroque idea which is a series of fast ascending chords followed by a slower descent and finishing with a suspended cadence.

Bonus points if you can spot the #11

Edit: Just to say it's one take on one guitar. My family thinks there's a bass involved but it's not so.

User Info Menu

Liarspoker, that is beautiful stuff going on in these videos you have posted!

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Liarspoker, that is beautiful stuff going on in these videos you have posted!

Tony
    Hey Tony,

That's appreciated very much.

All thanks to the almanacs for getting new harmonies into my ear.

Maybe see you Saturday evening?

User Info Menu

Here are 3 part 4ths in spread voicing all inversions. Note how there are often two ways to play the same chord. This is great for getting to know the fingerboard better.
    These chords can be used in cycles or by themselves where you'd normally use your chords based on thirds. Play around with these and note how they can be used as substitutions and they have the overall effect of sounding familiar, yet different. Note too, that these chords are three part chords that DO NOT have guide tones. No 3rds or 7ths, which puts them on the opposite side of the spectrum from conventional wisdom. They also are a unique distinction that they include 5 diatonic chords in the non altered form and only the III chord (b2) and the VII chord (b2 and b5) have an altered interval.

Great fun. Throw them into your vocabulary, sprinkle sparingly or create voice led cycles (These are cool because the voices move UP AND down).
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2023-04-23-6-22-44-am-png
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 04-23-2023 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I was messing a little with Misty last night.

The 2 Ab bars are Abmaj7 to Ab-7.

The 3rd and 7th of the Abmaj7 are C and G.

The 3rd and 7th of the Ab-7 are B and Gb.

A nice little opportunity to insert some 3 part fourths or quartal harmony.

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting video featuring how Steve Vai practises when he's at home.

He also wrote an article for Guitar Player magazine in the 1980's about playing anything for an hour. He used vibrato as an example.

Here is the article. It's a great read.

Vai.com - The Official Steve Vai Website

Since we are doing quartal/ suspended harmony I'm going to try to meditate for an hour per day on a quartal progression from the almanacs Friday onwards.

Hopefully something unique will come out.

Can't start tomorrow as I'll be playing +-8 hours of guitar but the good news is that my better half is heading to Spain for 5 days tomorrow so that gives me plenty of practise time.

User Info Menu

I just did my first hour using the Steve Vai meditation technique as per the above post.

It was very easy. The first 5 minutes were the hardest as I had to find my bearings but as soon as I knew where I was the hour was over before I knew it.

I'd encourage everyone to try this.

Just take one line and work with it for an hour without any disruptions.

I used the first spread triads line in book 2 as shown below.

Actually I'd love to hear how everyone else would approach this line.

I wrote a little thing with it but will try to extend it over the next few weeks and record it before the next meeting.

Have fun everyone

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img20230428111528-jpg

User Info Menu

The highlight of my day. Collecting the almanacs from the printers.

Yes, my life is sad

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img20230502133656-jpg

User Info Menu

Got told to go out to the music room so who am I to argue

Just recorded this. A few cycles of spread three part fourths with some embellishment.

Hope that you all enjoy

User Info Menu

Just wanted to say congrats to Jimmy blue note and others here for getting this site going:

Home - Modern Guitar Harmony

Great resource for explorers of the almanacs going forward. I will put some money in soon to support this effort. Curious if the factorial rhythm book will appear here or the falling grace book. I assume Hal Leonard owns the advancing guitarist rights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by studiotan
    Just wanted to say congrats to Jimmy blue note and others here for getting this site going:

Home - Modern Guitar Harmony

Great resource for explorers of the almanacs going forward. I will put some money in soon to support this effort. Curious if the factorial rhythm book will appear here or the falling grace book. I assume Hal Leonard owns the advancing guitarist rights.
    There's a falling grace book??? Has anyone got a copy?

User Info Menu

It's a very new site barely 3 weeks old but one with great ambition.

Monetary support is always welcome but there are other ways to support the site as well.

These include;

* Subscribe to the MGH YouTube channel
    * Subscribe to the newsletter
    * Contribute to the blog and/or YouTube channel
    * Spreading the word about the site
    * Etc etc

It's a great long term project and hopefully one that would make Mick proud.

David will know more about the books.....

Let us know what you'd like to see, read and hear about on the site.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    There's a falling grace book??? Has anyone got a copy?
    Before Mick died, it was taken from him with the promise that this person would find a publisher. That person has since disappeared and refused to answer any attempts at communication. The estate lawyers are trying to make inquires and secure their return upon which I'll publish it in full.
    I'm trying everything I can but it's in the hands of the private investigators now.

User Info Menu

Oh wow. Crazy story. Thanks for your efforts.

Do you mean that there's only one copy?

Before Mick died, it was taken from him with the promise that this person would find a publisher. That person has since disappeared and refused to answer any attempts at communication. The estate lawyers are trying to make inquires and secure their return upon which I'll publish it in full.
    I'm trying everything I can but it's in the hands of the private investigators now.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. I hope that everyone is well and that you're practicing and playing like mad

Here are 6 short pieces using cycles from Mick's Almanacs. Details are in the title and description.

If you haven't then please consider subscribing to the YouTube channel as it would help a lot and please if you like a piece then feel free to share.

Thank you so much

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...7Vj5CELVUp0FFr

Edit: it would be great if the link was a video instead of a link. Anyway....enjoy

User Info Menu

June 9, 2023
    Today I celebrate the life of Mick Goodrick as this would have been his birthday. For 7 years we played a duo and conducted a weekly art/music session. For 2 years after his retirement, I cared for him through his steady decline from Parkinson's disease. Through all that time, I made his life comfortable and within our talks, he answered any musical question I could think of and which he had an answer to. I put my life on hold and he always knew he would be cared for. We rarely talked gear or guitars, but it was all about music. He knew there wasn't even a guitar he could leave me to say thanks, because I'm exclusively a 7 string player. But we understood.
    The day after he died, I had an instruction from his lawyer to meet with someone up from NY who would come to me in New England. When I showed up I was given this guitar as his way of saying "The music lives on."
    Happy Birthday Mick.
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2022-11-18-8-34-19-am-pngAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2022-11-19-4-48-55-am-png