The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Posts 1,276 to 1,289 of 1289

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Rules refer to the rules of counterpoint. These rules don't have to be specifically species counterpoint. By rules I mean any set of principles that inform how voices move in a given style.
    Oh yeah, I missed this. There you go. Make up rules if you want.

Counterpoint is embedded into jazz anyway. Guide tones in Cycle 4 progs are an example of contrapuntal schemata - one that goes way back to, well Bach, and before. Barry Harris stuff uses contrapuntal principles, such as similar, contrary and staggered (borrowings) motion.

Species counterpoint is kind of like explaining the rules of chess. Things like Cycle 4 shell voicings/guide tones are more like common openings that people use that follow the rules but work very well for various reasons. (Literally an opening in the case of the Bach above.) Things like the melodies of Autumn Leaves, ATTYA and so on reflect realisations of these pre-baked 'four knights game' type sequences of moves.

One thing I noticed - Falling Grace by Steve Swallow obeys the rules of species counterpoint between bass and melody (I think) - it does not follow the standard cliches one would use in this context. Which I thought was interesting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Please bear in mind you are quoting me quoting Robert Gjerdingen before this becomes 'a saying' haha.. I can't trace it back further. It does sound like the sort of thing people like Boulanger might have said.
    Yeah, I remember hearing him say that in a podcast a few years ago. I've also seen you mention it. I wasn't sure if it was a saying that predated Robert Gjerdingen or it was his view.

Well, it's not easy to answer. I think many would answer technique. For myself I think its perceptual. Modern harmonic theory is very hung up on stuff like naming chords and root movement. Counterpoint is concerned with intervals and voice leading first and foremost. It's a different perspective.
    I actually think counterpoint is a better way to understand modern harmony (or at least how it can be composed) than functional harmony, because functional harmony is often powerless to explain unusual or modern harmonies anyway.
    I was under the impression that you also believed that counterpoint is a better way to understand even the functional harmony (eg American songbook stuff). If that is true, than I'd be curious if you completely abandon the functional view and chord-scales to achieve harmonic motion through counterpoint.

FYI, I'm not that interested in the more period correct approaches to counterpoint. I'm happy with exploring the voice movements in various cycles as well as just thinking movements as consisting of separate bass, melody and inner voices. It's amazing what you can do by starting with a mostly scalar bass movement, then adding a melody on top and finally experimenting with different middle voices. But I'm still firmly grounded in everything I know about harmony as my reference (even when I'm not aware that I am, lol). Moreover, I hear the movements in relation to these references (like most people in the 21. century would). So that's why I'm curious if it's even possible for someone who is trained in modern harmony to be able to eliminate that reference when thinking contrapuntally?

Attachment 109550
    In chord symbols
    F B/D# | F D | Bb Gm Gm6 | D

Cool huh? Late romantic harmony of this kind can be characterised as highly chromatic counterpoint. It's hard to analyse a lot of this stuff using Riemannian functions etc. The ur-example is Wagners Tristan chord.
    Yeah, that's interesting. Functional harmony works. But not everything that works is functional harmony.

Another interesting point is that, are these voices melodically independent? Not really. So what we often consider counterpoint is really something in-between vertical harmony and counterpoint.

User Info Menu

So that's why I'm curious if it's even possible for someone who is trained in modern harmony to be able to eliminate that reference when thinking contrapuntally?
    It would depend on what sort of counterpoint you're thinking of. I'd guess it's not so much about eliminating references, just thinking about the music differently because it's a different texture... 'eliminating that reference' sounds a bit absolute whereas rather there is a spectrum of differences and similarities across different styles and textures of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, I remember hearing him say that in a podcast a few years ago. I've also seen you mention it. I wasn't sure if it was a saying that predated Robert Gjerdingen or it was his view.

I was under the impression that you also believed that counterpoint is a better way to understand even the functional harmony (eg American songbook stuff). If that is true, than I'd be curious if you completely abandon the functional view and chord-scales to achieve harmonic motion through counterpoint.
    I don't see it as a replacement for functional harmony, more as a complementary understanding. Even in historical improv circles there are relatively few hardcore headbangers who think we should reject modern theory entirely. (But those people tend to be in to hexachordal solfege which is a whole other rabbit hole haha.)

I also don't see it as a way of understanding harmony exactly. Without wanting to sound obtuse and ciruclar, I see counterpoint as a way of understanding the counterpoint of standards, which is a separate, if related feature. Harmony is another feature. As is melodic contour, form, etc etc.

I think there's something missed in the conventional approach to schemata in jazz which is we look at C A7 Dm7 G7 for example and call it a turnaround. In fact there are effective counterpoint ideas that work very well with that basic progression, and show up in jazz. The guide tone thing is an example of this - but while 3rd and 7th are the classic choice for circle 4 progs, they are not the classic choice for all progressions. Also a II V I has different characteristics melodically from a Cycle 4 chain, you don't see nearly as many standards melodies for example based on guide tones through a II V I. In the latter case it's quite common to find a melody that goes IIm9 V13 and then to the root of I, for instance. On dozens of standards. Even without dwelling on the history of music, this strikes me as something that might be useful to write about.

FYI, I'm not that interested in the more period correct approaches to counterpoint.
    I mean I kind of assumed not from the tone of your posts.

But as much as I enjoy the style of that harmony and as pretty as it sounds, that' snot my ultimate goal. I mean I'd need to be a better classical musician for starters.

OTOH I think there's also something here which exists independent of wanting to improvise like Bach or whatever. There's a lot of stuff that crosses over, and this logic could still be interesting for stuff that doesn't (like Wayne tunes.)
    I'm happy with exploring the voice movements in various cycles as well as just thinking movements as consisting of separate bass, melody and inner voices. It's amazing what you can do by starting with a mostly scalar bass movement, then adding a melody on top and finally experimenting with different middle voices. But I'm still firmly grounded in everything I know about harmony as my reference (even when I'm not aware that I am, lol). Moreover, I hear the movements in relation to these references (like most people in the 21. century would). So that's why I'm curious if it's even possible for someone who is trained in modern harmony to be able to eliminate that reference when thinking contrapuntally?
    I've got to the point where I often find myself sort of translating from contrapuntal/figured bass terms. The main reason is this is language that is more specific about what is going on in the bass and top line. Often that's much more to do with the identity of a given musical idea than the chord progression. Also seemingly diverse chord progressions might have more in common contrapuntally than it might appear from the chord symbols.

For example, have you noticed how many tunes with some sort of descending chromatic voice leading in the harmony focus melodically on the fifth and then the fourth of the key? This is contrapuntal archetype that dates from the C18, and it's everywhere from baroque to, well, rock. I bet Mehldau's noticed lol.

So it kind of opened my awareness up to that kind of stuff. The main thing I've found it good for is composition, solo jazz guitar and reharmonisation. Jazz improv? Not so sure. For instance Charlie Parker doesn't really play melodic sequences in the same way that you find even in jazz composition. Melodic sequences are a big part of this stuff, and jazz repertoire is full of them, but not in Bird's solos. That's interesting.

Yeah, that's interesting. Functional harmony works. But not everything that works is functional harmony.
    Functional harmony works for... err... functional harmony? Well I guess that's sort of circular.

The way I view it , what we refer to as music theory is about categorising features of music. Function is one aspect which may be apparent in some music, or not. The more types of theory you have, the more things you can get from analysing music.

Several theorists have noted that when the three functions theory became established (predominant, dominant, tonic) people started writing more progressions that worked that way. There's loads of stuff in so called common practice music (curly wig music) that breaks those rules.

Another interesting point is that, are these voices melodically independent? Not really. So what we often consider counterpoint is really something in-between vertical harmony and counterpoint.
    It really depends what you mean by counterpoint. You have to be careful of talking at cross purposes. For a lot of people on this forum and in the jazz guitar community, counterpoint is a texture. If you think about harmony in modern terms then counterpoint is about finding ways to make the texture of less chordal, usually taking an already arrived at chord progression. How can I make Autumn Leaves sound a little like a Bach fugue? That type of thing.

If you are talking about the way classical composers studied, counterpoint is kind of the same thing as ... I want to say voice leading? But the logic of harmony. It doesn't work from a preset progression in the same way as jazz improv does. Even ground basses and things work a bit different.

So the Dvorak example is an example of Chorale texture. But in terms of how the voices move, you can look at them from the lens of counterpoint, as you could a Bach chorale. This might seem a bit odd because... block chords, right? But in fact the strictures of counterpoint function in the same way - and this is what we could call first species.

So instead of thinking of chord progressions and thinking of voice leading, you are engaging with voice leading immediately. You think about the intervals between the voices and the way they move and if needs be are prepared and resolved.

In fact today Bach's chorales are usually taught in terms of functional chord progressions with voice leading considered secondarily. In Bach's era, he would teach from the bass line. You'd come up with a whole bunch of bass lines that represent good counterpoint to the chorale and then populate the inner voices accordingly.

This is actually a really good way to work on interesting reharmonisations for standards. Come up with a bassline, drop in the inner voices after.

I don't really see any compelling reason to think about chord function in this context. I think it just complicates things wondering whether you wrote a II V I or a IIIm chord or whatever. If you’ve practiced this stuff well enough you can write convincing stylistic harmony without a thought and if you don't want to write trad harmony it scarcely matters, you can experiment and choose according to your own preferences and make your own personal language.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 03-09-2024 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Btw I’ve never really seen chord scales to be of much use when understanding chord progressions. Does anyone else find them useful for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Btw I’ve never really seen chord scales to be of much use when understanding chord progressions. Does anyone else find them useful for this?

I find chord-scales useful for creating movement inside a chord, not so much for understanding progressions. It provides an organization for non-chord tones. If I want the sound of lydian dominant as the back door dominant, then when I move voices, I know that 9, #11, and 13 are available.
    Of course you can expand this as a progression. Then iv minor (the ii of backdoor dominant) becomes MM etc.

User Info Menu

I find chord-scales useful for creating movement inside a chord, not so much for understanding progressions. It provides an organization for non-chord tones. If I want the sound of lydian dominant as the back door dominant, then when I move voices, I know that 9, #11, and 13 are available.
    Of course you can expand this as a progression. Then iv minor (the ii of backdoor dominant) becomes MM etc.
    Was just watching this today.

Honestly the title is clickbait and conceptually there’s nothing much different than what you’re talking about here, but it’s an interesting take

Why I Stopped Using Scales - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post

Honestly the title is clickbait and conceptually there’s nothing much different than what you’re talking about here, but it’s an interesting take

I'll check it out. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic

Classic Manness

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    All roads lead back to Bach!

Gavotte 1 from BMV 995 starts with cycle 4.

Am - Dm - G - C - F - Bm - E

Attachment 109547
    So I dug this out today after your post. Bloody lovely it is too. Are you learning the suite?

Favourite bits
    That move from G7/Am in the B section - Bach is the interrupted cadence master imo.

Also (possibly more relevantly) there’s a lovely descending figure

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_2260-jpg

This thing could be interpreted as a triadic cycle 6 on each bass note - on the first on Am, F/A, Dm/A then G, Em/G, C/G etc. Which is a nice thing to have on a stepwise descending bass

I actually think what it is to my ears the harmony is an incomplete 5-6-2 (5 3 - 6 3 - 6 4 2) in figured bass which would be Am, F/A, Bm7b5/A, G, Em/G, Am7/G etc which is similar. As the 2 isn’t in the music this is purely implied and how I’d expand it to 4 voices.

User Info Menu

Also that delicious pre-cadence thing in the last bar of the bit I posted. Those two scrunchies are both incomplete Dm6 (or the second is Bm7b5/F if you like, same thing).

User Info Menu

I'm not learning the suite yet. Just revisiting some grade 7 and 8 pieces.

I might do the bridging year before the ATCL diploma ( if I do it, time is my enemy ). My classical technique needs it.

Btw I am noticing more schemata in classical music especially like your example above. Scalar descending bass harmonized with the 10th or 6th.

User Info Menu

For example, have you noticed how many tunes with some sort of descending chromatic voice leading in the harmony focus melodically on the fifth and then the fourth of the key? This is contrapuntal archetype that dates from the C18, and it's everywhere from baroque to, well, rock. I bet Mehldau's noticed lol.
    I know that the root or the 5th are the most common pedal notes over a moving harmony. The fourth seems a little riskier but more interesting perhaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I know that the root or the 5th are the most common pedal notes over a moving harmony. The fourth seems a little riskier but more interesting perhaps.
    I don’t think that’s exactly what I mean. I don’t want to clog up this thread with too much OT stuff (no really) so I’ll post something up on this on my jazz counterpoint thread when I’ve done a sheet on it.

For now, try playing/singing
    Blue Skies
    Insensatez
    Chim chim cheree
    In Walked Bud
    No Moon At All
    It Don’t Mean A Thing
    Exit Music For a Film
    Hotel California
    It Was Just One of Those Things
    Corcovado

Back to back in the same key. The effect is quite funny, even though the tunes don’t all share changes, the affinity is kind of obvious.