The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Posts 426 to 450 of 1289

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I encountered this material when Mick was still working it out. I was going out to the deserts of Nevada for the summer and I took a notebook with the voice leading instructions for movement of each voice. I don't even remember if he'd even named the MSRP at that point but I remember sitting in the shade and working out cycles with amazement when inversions, voicings I'd played but never heard like that, and a return to the beginning...and beginning on different chords and seeing the modes appear...and combining chord families (like drop 2 and drop 3 and listening to the canons deconstruct. There is definitely something to be said for doing it by hand one note at a time. It's like musical spirographs, and it's beautiful. That being said, there is also something to be said for having a complete print out once you've done a few by hand.

Recently in my Westland music group meeting, we looked at this material, and one thing you can try: get 4 people to play one voice a piece and listen to the lines blend into chords with a sense of subtle movement. It's a good exercise in learning to hear in voice led movements and progressions.

The question of how this material is used was explored too. It was discussed here on this thread but one thing is to take an area of tonal chords, not turnarounds but chords within a key, and in the solo space, instead of playing a given set of chords, use a voice led progression, arpeggiated or chordal, and it creates beautiful tapestries of sound that can then use a moving soprano voice on the top to create a melodic line.
    Pieces like ATTYA already have a cycle 4 movement to them, so other cycles can be used too.

Most importantly, these things must be integrated into your EAR. Not in your fingers. Only through aural assimilation will these chord combinations begin to suggest places within traditional harmonic progressions where you can, instead, use a sound that comes to you naturally through your ear. It's a way of hearing.
    If you cannot hear, train your ear. If you cannot imagine, train your mind. Take the time and let the familiarization process take its course.

Not everyone is cut out to play imaginatively. Try composing. Create small melodies. Come to terms with your creative vocabulary and then expand it. That's the kind of player this material is suited for.

David
    Many thanks for the info.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok guys, I have another question: Can anyone share the voice leading pages for four part quartal chords?

I'm working from The Advancing Guitarist and then with some of the voice leading sheets from the Almanac that have been shared with me. I'm looking at how to voice lead between different structures - i.e. 4 part 7ths to TBN 1 or TBN 2 to TBN 1 etc.

It strikes me that where a 4 part 7th is 1 3 5 7, TBN 1 one can be looked at as 1 2 5 7, and TBN 2 as 1 2 4 7. In this same vein of thought could a 4 part quartal chord be 1 3 4 7? My line of thinking is that moving in fourths up from a root you get 1 4 7 3 (C F B E in C for instance), so just a different inversion of the above.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think the first sheet on 4ths uses that exact voicing 1347, so you're right on track. I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't check, but this is definitely one of them.

User Info Menu

It is a crapy quality of pic but I hope ut can help. You're on good track.

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-forumrunner_20150831_165307-jpg

User Info Menu

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-08-31-2-09-59-pm-png

User Info Menu

For the adventurous souls with a spirit for a challenge. Just a small random sampling of things you can do. One thing that is nice, play around with the melodies that are created and use them in introductions for standards and chord solos. Guaranteed to get their attention.
    Let's have some commentary from anyone after dipping into these assorted pages.
    David

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-08-31-2-14-44-pm-pngAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-08-31-2-19-38-pm-pngAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-08-31-2-20-15-pm-pngAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-08-31-2-20-43-pm-png

User Info Menu

Let's have some commentary from anyone after dipping into these assorted pages.
    David
    At the moment, I'm really into creating short progression with the 3 part stuff:

This type of thing: (nothing too complex)

A E B
    A E D
    A G D
    C G D
    C G F
    C B F
    C B F

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for posting this. My question is:

Functional voice leading says the chords are stacked 125 to 215. root of the chord, 2nd, 5th on top; is that right? But then the cycle starts on DGC to DAE, which I would have interpreted as 251 to 152. Can someone explain please? Thanks!

User Info Menu

short observation: they no longer sound like 4ths to me.

that's my fault, I've never internalized these sounds other than stacked in root position.

User Info Menu

Funny reading this I had a feeling that I purchased these books years ago, just visited my parents look what I found in the loft, don't think I've ever opened them.

User Info Menu

PM'ed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Playdough
    PM'ed
    Hi thanks for your message, but I've just started looking through them... This is good stuff!

Saying that this thread is AMAZINGLY helpful in addition, possibly even without having the books one could get a great deal of info here.

Especially with the pdf links to the cycles.

User Info Menu

is there anyone here who wants to sell number 3?

User Info Menu

I think U may enjoy this, A maj7 cycle, drop 2

https://dochub.com/yragroneelf/b9nygm/amaj-7ths
    Last edited by sonicBling; 10-29-2015 at 11:01 PM.

User Info Menu

So here's some news for all Goodchord enthusiasts. I have a very limited number of editions of the Goodchord Almanacs. These are all that exist of the entire print run and I'm going to have this quantity marked each one numbered as the limited edition final printing and each one signed by Mick.

There may be future editions of parts of these almanacs reprinted in smaller editions for less money so don't worry, the material, this group and the study and performance of this rich exhaustive work will be available in the future. But this is the last chance ever to get these editions in their original massive almanac form.

So to be clear. If you wait, it's my hope to have the smaller bite sized portions of these books available. There won't be new material but it'll be easier to work on. However in its present forms, as the big books, they will be cheaper overall to buy these books now. (Massive book $50 = 3x smaller books $20@ ...etc)

I'm not selling these for more than their original cover prices, that's the business for the price gougers and collectors. I am just putting the books at the original cover prices (from a long time ago) so those of you who want to study these can do so in style with a real original signed limited edition Mick Goodrick voice leading book. They are texts. They will not become obsolete. They are printed on archival thick paper. I'd rather they not sit on a shelf nor wind up on eBay for $300 apiece. But that's why first dibs go to readers of this thread.

I'll continue to put parts up for study in this group, and please know that this stuff is amazing and it's not easy to pick up today and show up at a jam shredding it tomorrow. But you know this thread, you have a good idea of what can be done. If all you need is the book, it's time.

I'll have a price list (list + $5 for the shipping and mailing business) so PM me and that's it.

Very few first editions of Volume 1. Some typing errors that were corrected in the second printing. Aside from those errors, these are the rarest. Signed

A few Volume 2 Almanacs. These are described in this thread. Signed

A few Volume 3 Almanacs. This is the mind bending volume. Least approachable when published, most sought after now by the players in search of totally new sounds. Signed

A few volumes of Factorial Rhythms. This is a study of rhythmic permutations, literally all the rhythms you never thought of and put together in a form that's great for ear training, sight reading, doorway into unblocking your rhythmic concept or composing with a fresh idea of rhythms. Signed.

Solo pieces for guitar. Mick's most personal volume. Compositions written in notation, beautiful solo and duo pieces to be played without rhythm section. A study in beautiful harmonies too. Finger style is extremely helpful but not required. Signed.

Solo pieces transposed for solo piano. Gorgeous arrangements by Mitch Haupers. Each one a beautiful piano piece.

All books are unopened aside from the limited edition number and author's signature. Hey great Christmas gifts!

I'll be ready to ship out later next week. PM for all questions, or details.
    David
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-10-28-8-58-00-pm-pngAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-10-28-8-58-27-pm-png
    Attached Images Attached Images Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_5266-jpg Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-10-28-8-58-00-pm-png Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-10-28-8-58-27-pm-png 

User Info Menu

I don't see Mitch Haupers book?
    His CD is wonderful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonicBling
    I don't see Mitch Haupers book?
    His CD is wonderful
    Sorry! Piano pieces is available. Yes. Thanks for reminding me
    David

User Info Menu

B harmonic major cycle, drop 2 voicing

https://dochub.com/yragroneelf/vJ61ok/harmonic-major-b

Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Hi thanks for your message, but I've just started looking through them... This is good stuff!

Saying that this thread is AMAZINGLY helpful in addition, possibly even without having the books one could get a great deal of info here.

Especially with the pdf links to the cycles.
    Yeah lots of amazing info here! And lots of fun to be had going through the cycles!

User Info Menu

pm'ed truthhertz

User Info Menu

Hey everyone. An update. Books are getting ready to send out, I'll contact everyone who gets in touch with me and arrange for shipping instructions.
    Overseas orders, no problem. I'll send them anywhere. Overseas shipping will be priced individually depending on where.
    Domestic orders, just add $5 to the price of the book. These are list prices now for out of print last edition books.
    Volume 1 $50 I found a limited number of these as of 12/15 and I'll be happy to sell them.
    Volume 2 $40
    Volume 3 $30

Factorial Rhythms $20
    Solo Guitar Pieces $20
    Solo Piano Pieces $20

I'll post in the group when an edition sells out. Otherwise, assume they're available. I'll return all PMs individually and let you know the address to send to.
    Thanks guys. I look forward to the ensuing discussions

David

Sample from the Piano transcriptions of the guitar pieces, arranged by Mitch Haupers.
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_5336-jpgAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_5333-jpg
    Last edited by TH; 12-28-2015 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone. An update. Books are getting ready to send out, I'll contact everyone who gets in touch with me and arrange for shipping instructions.
    Overseas orders, no problem. I'll send them anywhere. Overseas shipping will be priced individually depending on where.
    Domestic orders, just add $5 to the price of the book. These are list prices now for out of print last edition books.
    Volume 1 $50
    Volume 2 $40
    Volume 3 $30

Factorial Rhythms $20
    Solo Guitar Pieces $20
    Solo Piano Pieces $20

I'll post in the group when an edition sells out. Otherwise, assume they're available. I'll return all PMs individually and let you know the address to send to.
    Thanks guys. I look forward to the ensuing discussions

David

Sample from the Piano transcriptions of the guitar pieces, arranged by Mitch Haupers.
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_5336-jpgAnybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-img_5333-jpg
    That's great, I was getting worried you had forgotten about us very excited!

User Info Menu

Volume 1 $50
    Volume 2 $40
    Volume 3 $30
    What is a last edition? Are these reprints of the original 3 books?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    What is a last edition? Are these reprints of the original 3 books?
    These are the last of the out of print original printing stock. Some of these had reprinting in the course of their publications, but these are all that exist. They will not be reprinted in this form.
    If you know about these books and you want one, this will be your only chance to get them here. That's all that means. You can get them used on Ebay from now on.
    Again. These ARE the original books. They are for sale. They have recently been unboxed from previously unsold boxes. When these are bought and sent out, there will be the absolute end of anything coming out of Goodchord books. These were printed long ago. They are being sold now.
    I hope this answers your question. Post #489 might be worth a look at.
    At the present, they're being made available to Mick's students and readers of this thread.
    No mystery, just a book if you want to buy one.
    David

User Info Menu

thanks for the reply, but i already got micks solo guitar book, and don't really play piano.
    I like Mitch Haupers CD invisible Cities