The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 1289
    Ok. Top note, c, is assumed root Or 1 in the key to the left? I'm assuming it's voiced with the c as high note? But on left it's 125 on left. Trying to understand the key on left. No idea on the thingy art the bottom left. :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Ok. Second sheet somewhat answered my question. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Ok. Top note, c, is assumed root Or 1 in the key to the left? I'm assuming it's voiced with the c as high note? But on left it's 125 on left. Trying to understand the key on left. No idea on the thingy art the bottom left. :-)
    These are all referenced in the key of C. So it's all diatonic voicings that have that in mind. Cycle 2 means (with the chord voiced beginning with root on top as you saw), C Maj, D min, E min, F Maj, G Maj, A min, B dim... you know, the diatonic chords going up by step.
    The cycle 6 goes up by 6ths, C Major, A minor, F Maj, etc... that's the cycle assignment. The actual voicings will be in 4ths, so that's where these voicings (from volume 2 by the way) are different from volume 1 (which are in triadic and 7th -tertian- harmony).
    Are you referring to the diagrams on the left? That shows for each voice, which direction you have to go in and how far, to reach the next note in the series. The arrow tells you which direction, the number tells you how many notes. Here, they're pretty much step wise.

Functional shows you the inversion of the next chord in that series.

A little cryptic but once you get the hang, they actually tell you a lot; much more than notes on the staff.
    Have fun!
    David

User Info Menu

1st observation on the cycle 2 example- maybe obvious to y'all, but not to me at first:

It's just 125 taken up the scale.

Voiced with voice leading explained.
    Last edited by yotsn; 05-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Is there an msrp on the cycle 2?

Also, what is ct?

And can someone help with the 125 triangle diagram on the cycle 6 exercise, as well as the 5 with the circular arrow around it on the cycle 2 exercise and the 12 with the arrows/ct/up on the cycle 2?

I'm loving this.
    Last edited by yotsn; 05-07-2015 at 03:36 PM.

User Info Menu

On these 4th exercises, how cognizant is everyone of the function of each tone while cycling through? In the the triad exercises, it's easy to see the chord inversion, where the root 3rd and 5th are, on these from book 2, it's easier to get lost and not know which is the 1,2 or 5. Wondering if it is a goal to keep those in mind for you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yotsn
    1st observation on the cycle 2 example- maybe obvious to y'all, but not to me at first:

It's just 125 taken up the scale.

Voiced with voice leading explained.
    Cycle 2 is stepwise, Cycle 3 goes up in thirds, Cycle 4 root movement is an interval of diatonic 4th and so on. The neat thing is, sometimes it's just so weirdly beautiful, you don't even know that the chords are, where they're coming from, where they're going and what's going on; you just feel it.

Is there an msrp on the cycle 2?

Also, what is ct?

And can someone help with the 125 triangle diagram on the cycle 6 exercise, as well as the 5 with the circular arrow around it on the cycle 2 exercise and the 12 with the arrows/ct/up on the cycle 2?

I'm loving this.
    When I posted the first one, it was just to give a working sample to dive into with. So I truncated all the other information. An hour later, I was having so much fun actually working through them, I decided to pick a nice one and post that in total, hence the more complete treatment on cycle 6. Subsequent ones will have complete information.
    CT is a common tone that doesn't move yet takes on a different role in the next chord. Other voices will move up or down as determined by the arrows.
    The triangle indicates the relationships between individual voices, how they move to one another from one chord to the next. Each voice will move consistently to another in a consistent way. That's indicated at a glance with that graphic.

On these 4th exercises, how cognizant is everyone of the function of each tone while cycling through? In the the triad exercises, it's easy to see the chord inversion, where the root 3rd and 5th are, on these from book 2, it's easier to get lost and not know which is the 1,2 or 5. Wondering if it is a goal to keep those in mind for you?
    Great question! It depends on the user. Most people I know do have an awareness of the root-it makes controlling the resolutions easier when you know which is the perceived root. Though it's the great quality of quatral harmony (the 1 2 5 is actually like root, fifth of that note and fifth of that one, the 2 being the 5 of 5 if you get my drift) that you really can't easily tell what is what.
    They're really nice to take as entire chordal entities in themselves, and I imagine some use them as just progressions. That's what this thread is for, see what anyone thinks. That's why Mick didn't put explanations, to let you think.
    I've found that working with these pages does make me aware of individual notes aurally AND cognitively as I'm playing. My ears have gotten a lot better for time spent with the Almanacs.

Mick has been using these voice led chords in his playing Sundays. It's beautiful to hear them played, and as a listener, I'm not at all aware of what's going on chord wise.

David

User Info Menu

Like Mick didn't provide enough material right on the surface.......

Ted Dunbar, a guitarist I took classes with at Jazzmobile was a big fan of books.
    At the same time he felt it was not just a one way info exchange, one had to engage their own thinking.
    He used to say for every page that you read, you should write ten of your own.
    In that spirit:

Alternate between the close and spread quartal chords.

Cycle Two

alternating one chord each:

D G C ..... A E D ..... B E F ..... F C G ..... G A D ..... B A E ..... C F B .... G D C etc.

alternating two chords each:

D G C ..... D E A ..... F E B ..... F C G ..... G A D ..... E A B ..... B F C .... G D C etc.
    Last edited by bako; 05-08-2015 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested, I just wrote an online tool based on the chord cycles.
    You can leave me a PM and I'll be happy to share the link... and wait for comments/suggestions...
    I think I need some beta-testing before releasing it officially to the community
    Enrico

User Info Menu

you can just name the chords by the simplest function (lowest number) of the notes compared to each note (as if it was the root), so CGD can be: 1 5 9 of C, 1 5 11 of G, 1 7 11 of D. In that example 1 5 9 will be chosen for that family. You can check every family of "nameless" chords that way.

User Info Menu

WOW - Volume 3 just went for $368.00 on eBay. That's just insane. Considering that all volumes are out of print and not coming back anytime soon - does anyone here that has volume 3 be willing to share? I have volumes 1 and 2 and would be willing to help someone that can share volume 3. PM if interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Attachment 20000

OK, for all the curious, the bookless and the adventurous. This is cycle 2, chords unnamed and cycled through 2 generations, in 4th and note, the voices lead UPWARDS, so start low.
    Welcome to the world of the Almanacs.

I'll post a new screenshot on a regular basis. And I'll take requests for which grouping or cycle you'd like to see. Shall we start? Wrestle. Scratch your head. Move your fingers. Open your ears. Ask questions. Go for it.
    David

Many thanks, they're fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kevykevy
    WOW - Volume 3 just went for $368.00 on eBay. That's just insane. Considering that all volumes are out of print and not coming back anytime soon - does anyone here that has volume 3 be willing to share? I have volumes 1 and 2 and would be willing to help someone that can share volume 3. PM if interested.
    I have volume 3. I will not, in good conscience share it in illegal copy but I would be happy to take parts of it and share it in selected sections, for study if people are really going to work on it. Even by chapter, there's a lifetime of work. Believe me.
    I'll only do this because it seems any republication seems unlikely now. If and when it becomes available legally, I will no longer be sharing any of these.
    e_del seems to have a good thing going for working with material from the earlier volumes.
    PM me privately.

User Info Menu

I struggled at first with the symbols on the pages, so for anyone who needs to know, here's an explanation of Mr GoodChord's Universal Notation System:
    (What each symbol on the page represent.)

http://musicbookshop.co.il/l-image/U...tionSystem.pdf

User Info Menu

Anyone who has had the time to experiment with the previous posts is probably having a lot of fun with the challenge. Anyone that has been intimidated by it, be comforted by knowing it doesn't get any easier and there's no easy way around the intimate time you spend with your instrument.
    Here's more for the adventurous. Cycle four. These are chord movements that move in root movements by fourths. You know these, right? like ATTYA. Anyway the fourths have a neat relationship with the sixths, you'll see/hear it when you work with them.
    I've included triads and fourths so you can get an idea of the worlds of overlap that working with these families can uncover. I hope this is opening up the guitar for you.
    David

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-cycle-4-triads-png
    And in Fourths

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-cycle-4-fourths-1-png
    -
    Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-cycle-4-fourths-2-png

Just curious... "Cycle 4"... because the root movement is in 4ths?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Just curious... "Cycle 4"... because the root movement is in 4ths?
    Yes,

If you look at the Triad Close, it is diatonics 4ths in the key of C in terms of root movement.

The order of inversions move as such:

0 - 2 - 1 :||

And the voicings move up the neck.

I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Sometimes people seem incredulous about whether Bach type lines can be assimilated into one's vocabulary, and if so, how that might be done. That was never a goal, specifically, with the Almanacs, but it turns out that when you work with harmonic minor, in this case cycle six with a drop 3 voicing set, this is one of the things that turns up. This is one page out of the first volume. Here it's from a chapter on 7th chords. These voice lead DOWNWARDS so start high.
    Have fun.
    David

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-harmonic-min-cycle-6-drop-3-png

User Info Menu

Thanks, David.
    This thread is so long, I'm sure someone else has talked about this before: lately, I've been enjoying randomly opening up a page of Vol I, and playing through the cycles as arpeggios. You definitely hear the "Bach-type" sounds, and it tickles my ears/brain!

User Info Menu

Truthhertz, love your threads on harmony. Hope you don't mind me chiming in with a video I did a while back.
    This is a go on pg13 of Vol.2. Spread triads moving in cycle 2 with passing tones. Some Bach up in this stuff for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Sometimes people seem incredulous about whether Bach type lines can be assimilated into one's vocabulary, and if so, how that might be done. That was never a goal, specifically, with the Almanacs, but it turns out that when you work with harmonic minor, in this case cycle six with a drop 3 voicing set, this is one of the things that turns up. This is one page out of the first volume. Here it's from a chapter on 7th chords. These voice lead DOWNWARDS so start high.
    Have fun.
    David

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-harmonic-min-cycle-6-drop-3-png
    Enjoying the cycles, they're great fun and every one is an adventure. Many thanks, they're keeping me busy.

User Info Menu

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers. I don't have the almanacs but am trying to figure all this out. Just from the snippets here in this thread for voice leading 7th chords through cycles 2 and 7:

The voice leading for cycle 2 seems to be:

Chord 1 -Chord 2
    R -----------7
    3------\/----1
    5------\/----3
    7------\/----5

And for cycle 7:

Chord 1 -Chord 2
    R -----/\----3
    3------/\----5
    5------/\----7
    7------------1

So for cycle 2 for example, Cmaj7 - Dmin7:

C -----------C
    E------\/----D
    G------\/----F
    B------\/----A

So with voices moving parallel like this you can end up with parallel 5ths between the B-E and A-D. Is this right? Or does the voice leading pattern change depending on how you voice the chords D2, D3, D2D4 etc? Thanks if anyone can answer it.

User Info Menu

My Observations are, the direction of the movement of inversions (ie up or down) is cycle based for the diatonic 7th chords, not voicing specific.

7th Chords.

Cycle 2: Down the neck - The order of inversions move down for each chord, R, 3, 2, 1 inversions :||
    Cycle 3: Up the neck - Order of inversions move move down for each chord, R, 3, 2, 1 inversions :||

Cycle 4: Down the neck - The Order of inversions move R - 2 :|| or 1 - 3 :||
    Cycle 5: Up the neck - The Order of inversions move R - 2 :|| or 1 - 3 :||

Cycle 6: Down the neck - Order of inversions move up for each chord, R, 1, 2, 3 inversions :||
    Cycle 7: Up the neck - Order of inversions move up for each chord, R, 1, 2, 3 inversions :||

Triads will move differently.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdough
    Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers. I don't have the almanacs but am trying to figure all this out. Just from the snippets here in this thread for voice leading 7th chords through cycles 2 and 7:

The voice leading for cycle 2 seems to be:

Chord 1 -Chord 2
    R -----------7
    3------\/----1
    5------\/----3
    7------\/----5

And for cycle 7:

Chord 1 -Chord 2
    R -----/\----3
    3------/\----5
    5------/\----7
    7------------1

So for cycle 2 for example, Cmaj7 - Dmin7:

C -----------C
    E------\/----D
    G------\/----F
    B------\/----A

So with voices moving parallel like this you can end up with parallel 5ths between the B-E and A-D. Is this right? Or does the voice leading pattern change depending on how you voice the chords D2, D3, D2D4 etc? Thanks if anyone can answer it.

User Info Menu

There is a study extract from Volume 1. If you'd like to get a copy through Google Drive, PM me and include your Email address, gmail addresses are the easiest if you have one.
    Examples are based on only selected diatonic voice leading cycles. Similar to the above posted examples.
    Before you take this on, please be willing to work on this material, and work hard enough to try to make music from it. There's nothing "Plug and play" about these cycles; you can't just play them and paste them into the solo space right from the start; you figure out what it means.
    If you have an inquiring mind and you truly want a new approach to harmony, then by all means PM me and I'll give you something to get you started.
    Share your questions and results with us all please.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 06-10-2015 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd love a copy!

My e-mail address is pncoutts@gmail.com

Thanks, David

Paul