The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 1289

User Info Menu

That's interesting, David. I also own the three original volumes. So, you basically took the book apart and make them available in smaller portions without adding anything to it?
    That's good news, so I can keep my books and wait for the download material.
    Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead
    That's interesting, David. I also own the three original volumes. So, you basically took the book apart and make them available in smaller portions without adding anything to it?
    That's good news, so I can keep my books and wait for the download material.
    Thanks!
    Yes. There's a little commentary by Mick, and I was my hope at some point to make a workbook based on some ideas that musicians, and you guys here, have shared, but that may be a separate project.
    You know, Gearhead, having them, that there's no help about how to use that dense material. That was by design. Mick never wanted to prejudice the musical potential of that way of thinking by making it application specific. He also just wanted to give it to the few that could appreciate it, and let them spread the word.
    But the cost of each volume, though reflective of independent publication costs, was high, and the material was such a commitment to work on, he's had regrets that it couldn't be embraced by more. It's like how many of the people who own the complete works of Shakespeare in a single volume actually read from that edition?
    So he's wanted to find a form for more people to actually learn to use MSRP voice leading. If you can get all you need from a smaller much more affordable publication, then all the better.

That's why I really appreciate the ideas everyone shares here. They're original, they're inspired and they're free. Use the books for the material as minimally as you need and share the music that results.
    If you have the books, you've got it all...and you have nothing. Until the music is heard.
    David

User Info Menu

Yeah, you're right. I've mosty worked with Vol. 3 so far. To me the most accesible one, at least for my purposes. But this thread has helped a lot. Thanks to everyone.

User Info Menu

Volume 3! That's where the most amazing sounds live. Yes. You got right to the good stuff. Good for you-
    David

User Info Menu

Hey guys, a few years late but I just got started on the first pdf - Cycle 2 triads. Don't worry I won't update this thread every time I start a new pdf!

Didn't want to read further into the thread before I got the stuff into my fingers, so I don't know how the cycle is derived. As far as I can make out, we start very high up on the guitar, and we play the harmonised scale in order (I ii iii IV)... but going backwards physically.

I'll get to the explanations after I get the cycles in my fingers. Either way, just purely in terms of playing and hearing the thing, this is some great stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    zirenius, you are one of the very rare souls who has these. So I don't need to tell you that the original format was pretty dense, not to mention unwieldy even on a hefty music stand. The new volumes will be that material, and frankly, if you took the first two volumes, unbound the spiral wire and grouped them by colour, pink, blue, yellow…that's be it. Any additional material, notes, helpful words of wisdom I'll try to make available as a free download or something nominal like that.
    As a matter of opinion, I'd say do that anyway. And then just take one "reduced" volume off the shelf and work through a pair of pages one group at a time. And expect to spend weeks on any one cycle/voicing group. Yes, it's plenty daunting just as a segment. But that's the way to do it. Oh yeah, and share your impressions and results with us!

David
    Hi David,

so sorry that it took me so long to reply. Thanx for your words of advice and for clarifying what will be in the new books. I would very much appreciate if the commentary by Mick himself was made available to the owners of the original books even for a small fee depending on how much extra material there is.

I think I will be "taking apart" the books as you suggested. Might do so with the pdf's though to keep the original volumes intact. I will share anything that comes to mind.

Abyhow, good night, y'all!

User Info Menu

I've been working through all 3 volumes too. Any new insights by Mick would be of great benefit. It's volume 3 that's crazyyyy...

Thanks for keeping this stuff going TruthHertz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toddep
    I've been working through all 3 volumes too. Any new insights by Mick would be of great benefit. It's volume 3 that's crazyyyy...

Thanks for keeping this stuff going TruthHertz
    Volume three is proving to be the pot of gold for those who are advanced enough to think in harmonic challenges. Triads over bass notes, stuff you've never imagined being played, no less on guitar. And a good portion of this should not be played on guitar, it really can damage your hands, but everyone can decide how to tackle it (diads, writing for duo, etc) and that's Mick's point, really push yourself to make sense out of it. Then come back and share it. He did his part, and now it's up to the stellar players to do their part. You'll find stuff in application that he never thought of, and he wants to hear it. So keep chipping away.
    Sometimes he'll be playing and some of the most beautifully complex sounds will flow out of him. Ah... volume 3.

I'll share all I have.
    David

User Info Menu

I'm also very interested in any new Goodrick publications.

User Info Menu

I am interested in these Goodrick publications. Thanks TruthHertz for all the info and work you've put into this.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have a working link to the article that was mentioned for pianists earlier in the thread? I can't get that one to load.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes, David, many thanks for all the work that you have put into this thread.

If possible would you be able to explain what is included in the forthcoming dyad book (as that is the one I am thinking of buying first)?

Many thanks

User Info Menu

For those less pianistically inclined that're curious about how some of these concepts might sound when attempted on piano I've recorded the last two examples from the article that was posted on the previous page from KeyboardMag.

Excuse the sloppy playing! It was just quick sight reading..

User Info Menu

Thanks Dioxic- sounds cool on piano. If there are any more of those piano pdfs (pt.2?) somewhere else on the internet please let me know, that's the only one I could find.

User Info Menu

is that Ex.22 (2nd recording from Dioxic) a Mick piece on a record somewhere? What is it?

I'm running the voice leading in C major cycle 6 like it says. What would be the chord for TBN I? Not sure how to have a 5th in the bass if the chord is a C major 7- or maybe it's a C/F chord? In that case, how would I do the cycle 6 voice leading with it?

If anyone sees anything else from the cycles that sounds like this example please tell, I'm not seeing a whole lot of similarity after running it just now.

User Info Menu

I'm not positive this is what you are asking......

The starting chord for TBN 1 in C major is G/C

Inversions of the I chord in drop 2

C G B D ..... D B C G ..... G C D B ..... B D G C

The difference between these and Cma7 inversions is that E always moves down to D

User Info Menu

Yeah, definitely a confusing post. Sorry. I'm referencing the blurb written about ex. 22 that was recorded above.

"Play through the voice leading in C major,cycle 6,using TBN 1 and D2,4,as well as DD2D3.You’ll hear some similarities to this piece."

That made sense except for the TBN 1 part. I'm wondering about doing the C major cycle 6 using that chord with the D in it. Not sure how to proceed there. From what I can tell of the almanac, the C major cycle 6th thing is for a C major 7 chord only. I'm sure it applies to other chords like this one, just not sure how to do it.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

as it's been a while since those books appear to be sold at important prices, wouldn't it be a good idea to unite and collect money and buy them once and for all, and them scan them and offer them freely (indeed it seems like they will never be re-printed) to the world ?

I'd be glad to help in this project, either giving some bucks or organizing the collect (I guess there are some website for this purpose ?). Is anyone interested ?

All the best
    G.

User Info Menu

The problem is that you'll almost certainly be violating some copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by guelda
    Hi guys,

as it's been a while since those books appear to be sold at important prices, wouldn't it be a good idea to unite and collect money and buy them once and for all, and them scan them and offer them freely (indeed it seems like they will never be re-printed) to the world ?

I'd be glad to help in this project, either giving some bucks or organizing the collect (I guess there are some website for this purpose ?). Is anyone interested ?

All the best
    G.
    I know this is a long thread now. you need to go back and read truthhertz posts re. all this. It's actually in the works.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-10-2015 at 08:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey, there's news on publications of new material. Things are moving along on new material, dyads and cyclical rhythms. There'll be things announced about Lulu publications.
    Sad regrets about previous Goodchord materials though. It now looks like the path to republication will be a difficult one at best and I'd say if you see any volumes appearing on Ebay, go for it, go for it with a friend and work on the material together, form a club, go for it and share the information among yourselves.
    It was hoped that the almanacs would be easily accessible to a new generation of players. That's not really up to Mick at this point so should anyone out there possess a book and want to form a study group, I would recommend you take the paper off the shelf and get it in your fingers and ears.
    If you need the material, do look for people that you can network with and form a study group with. I will share contacts with interested players and that's about all I'll be doing.

Meanwhile, let's start discussing the music we can make. That's the real point of this thread.
    PM me if you've got a book and want to start a local network. PM me if you don't have a book but would be willing to work with others. PM me and tell me where you're located, and if you're in Boston, there're actually people exploring this stuff at my store. It's free to join us and the music is our goal. PM me for details.

Musical adventures to you
    David

User Info Menu

Let's form a study group here. As I've said, these are not things that need to be studied in any particular order.

There's been quite a bit of talk about triads. Volume 2 has, among other things, triads in 4ths. We could pick a cycle, and work on it for a little while, then come back with comments, questions, applications, clips or revelations.

Anybody want to make a little group here? Just an idea or suggestion to bring this thread to real life...make music that nobody's heard before.

David

User Info Menu

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-05-06-12-56-00-pm-jpg

OK, for all the curious, the bookless and the adventurous. This is cycle 2, chords unnamed and cycled through 2 generations, in 4th and note, the voices lead UPWARDS, so start low.
    Welcome to the world of the Almanacs.

I'll post a new screenshot on a regular basis. And I'll take requests for which grouping or cycle you'd like to see. Shall we start? Wrestle. Scratch your head. Move your fingers. Open your ears. Ask questions. Go for it.
    David

User Info Menu

Cycle 6 in two approaches.
    It's my hope that in small pieces, working in a concentrated dedicated group, we might actually make progress with learning to use the language, sound, and mindset of this material.
    Cycle 6 is quite different from the cycle 2. See for yourself.
    David

Anybody use the Goodchord Voice Leading Books?-screen-shot-2015-05-06-1-18-03-pm-png