The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 78 of 78

User Info Menu

Taking this conversation slightly sideways, we guitarists play on a fixed-pitch instrument, unlike, say, a violin or trumpet. Speak to them and they'll tell you that G# and Ab are not the same note. Western music had its pitch messed up by the key system. Hence we have Bach’s 48 preludes and fugues- two in each major and minor key, to demonstrate tempered tuning. Pianos are typically tuned with the bass notes a little flat, the treble a little sharp, and a slight flat bit in the middle. In blind tests using a piano tuned exactly and one using the aforementioned system, an overwhelming majority of listeners preferred the latter. On the piano, each string (or pair) is tuned individually. Now the guitar has six strings, each one tuned by the nut, bridge and frets. Obviously, what we end up with is a compromise. My take on this is that Mr. Feiten has attempted to create a better compromise. I’ve only ever played a Feiten equipped guitar once, a Garrison (no longer in production- bought out by Gibson, I think). It was the sweetest sounding acoustic I’ve ever played- but whether it was the tuning system or other factors I can’t say. I should have bought it, but wavered and someone else got it. Anyway, the point is that you should try it. Don’t bother about anyone else’s opinion, if you like it, get it. If you don’t (or can’t tell the difference), don’t.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When it comes to technology, you generally want to go with the guy named "Buzz".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    When it comes to technology, you generally want to go with the guy named "Buzz".
    I've always said that if this thing fails, as a business venture, at least 3/4 of the blame goes to the stupid name they gave the thing. "Wanna make your guitar sound better? Try BUZZ Feiten."