The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many root notes can a chord have?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

6 40.00%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • Other

9 60.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

ever heard the joke about how many jazz guitarists it takes to change a lightbuld?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by tele jazz
    ever heard the joke about how many jazz guitarists it takes to change a lightbuld?
    What's a lightbuld?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Any given chord can only have one root. If we change the root, it's a different chord.
    But then, what about the diminished and argumented chords. In these every note in the chord can be the root, and each chord thus has three roots. But of course they don't work as roots at the same time - it depends on the context which note is the root.

I feel this thread can evolve into a deep semantic discussion, so I'd better back out here before I get dizzy.

User Info Menu

Well, I was more having a little fun about the terms "chord" and "pitch collection." Certainly, any one of the notes in a diminished chord can be the root, but only one note is the root at any given time...

As soon as you call something a chord it can have only one root. See this is why I called it my "IQ test answer," which is probably also synonymous with "smart aleck punk kid" answer.

And now, some humor:

A teacher is doing a math lesson with her class. She asks the question, "If ten birds are on a wire and I throw a rock and hit one, how many are left?"

Little Johnny raises his hand and says "None, teacher."

"Why none, Johnny?" Says the teacher, to which Johnny responds, "Because all the other birds will be startled and fly away."

The teacher says "Well Johnny, the correct "math" answer is nine, but I like the way you're thinking."

To which Johnny says "Teacher, let me ask you a question. Three women are on a park bench eating ice cream cones. One is politely nibbling right around the top, the next is gently licking around the sides to prevent any drips, and the last one is really going to town, taking the whole thing in her mouth at once. Which one of these women is married?"

The teacher, a little embarrased, responds "Uh...the last one?"

To which Johnny replies, "No, the one wearing the wedding ring. But I like the way you're thinking."

(thx to Randy at the tdpri for my new fave joke)