The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27
    Okay, here it goes, is the GHM derived from the Eb major scale or the F major scale? Also what chords can I extract from the GHM? Would I first want to just build diatonic triads? from the GHM? Then add sevenths and so on?

Thank you in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Arthur
    Okay, here it goes, is the GHM derived from the Eb major scale or the F major scale? Also what chords can I extract from the GHM? Would I first want to just build diatonic triads? from the GHM? Then add sevenths and so on?

Thank you in advance.
    G harmonic minor is derived from the G natural minor scale - which is enharmonic with (same notes as) the Bb major scale.

Triads from G HM:
    Gm
    Adim
    Bb+ (Bbaug)
    Cm
    D
    Eb
    F#dim

7ths from G HM
    Gm(maj7)
    Am7b5
    Bbmaj7#5
    Cm7
    D7
    Ebmaj7
    F#dim7

NB: the vii chord is different from the ii chord. Both are based on dim triads, but the ii has a minor 7th (F), while the vii has a diminished 7th (Eb).
    It's also common to add a b9 to the V chord.
    D7b9 = D F# A C Eb = rootless F#dim7.
    Last edited by JonR; 03-30-2011 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

+1 on everything JonR said

And yes you build chords by stacking the thirds diatonically, though there are some times other chords you can extract from a scale.

Jens

Hey out there, thank you.. I found this tune which appears to be in Eb, and apppears to be using GHM a times. So by just extracting all the diatonic harmonies from the key, and also the GHM harmonies, am I on the right path to improv freedom as far as trying various chord voicings? I want to stay as close as to the melody as I can, so would this be some kind of voice leading.

Thank you..

User Info Menu

What tune is it?

User Info Menu

Indeed! What song?
    Is it maybe a progression like this?:
    Gm7 Gbdim Fm7 Bb7

That would be a very common place to have G harmonic minor in Eb major.
    And G harmonic minor appears from altering Eb major to contain a Adim (or in this case Gbdim..)

Jens

"Have you Ever Really Loved A Woman" By Bryan Adams. I am no good at hearing chord changes really, so that is what brought me to all these questions, so at least I would be as close to the melody with some cool voicings.

Thank you,

I am not underzstanding the below informatoin.

That would be a very common place to have G harmonic minor in Eb major.
    And G harmonic minor appears from altering Eb major to contain a Adim (or in this case Gbdim..)

Jens

User Info Menu

It means that by raising the Ab in the Eb major scale a half-step to A natural, you have the notes of the G harmonic minor scale (well, except for F#). Does that make sense?

Does the tune use a D7 chord in some places? Maybe D7 to G minor, or Cminor to D7 to G minor? The G harmonic minor would fit over those chords well. (sorry, don't have access to that song).

User Info Menu

"Have you Ever Really Loved A Woman" By Bryan Adams. I am no good at hearing chord changes really, so that is what brought me to all these questions, so at least I would be as close to the melody with some cool voicings.

Thank you,
    OK, here's the chord changes:

VERSE
    |Eb(#4) - |Cm(6) - |D - |D - |
    |Bbadd9 - |F/A Gm7 |F - |F - |
    |Cm - |Cm Bb Am7 |Dsus D |D - |
    |Am7/G D7 |G - |

CHORUS
    |G - |G(maj7) - |D - |D - |
    |D7 - |D7 - |G - |G - |
    |G Bm/F# |Em7 - |Am7 D7 |Am7 D7 |
    |Am7 D7 |Am7 D7 |G(maj7 - |G(maj7) - |

There's definitely a strong sense of G harmonic minor in the opening 4 bars, which are a VI-iv-V-V in the G minor key. He's really milking the pseudo-flamenco sound of the scale, with the nylon string guitar and that opening guitar figure before the verse. (The (#4) and (6) are not actually in the chords, but in the melody. Both A notes, of course.)
    This is definitely the place to bring out those harmonic minor licks. (You could add 7th, and b9 and b13 to the D chord if you felt like it.)

The next 4 bars of the verse are in Bb major (I-V-vi-V), which is relative major of G minor. (G harmonic minor is obviously not right here, because of the strong presence of F natural. Bb major scale!)
    In the 3rd line it starts working its way to the key of G major, which is confirmed in the last 2 bars. And of course the chorus is entirely in G major. (All the guitar fills in this section use the G major scale.)

So it's an interesting sequence, if only in that it strongly suggests G minor to begin with, but without ever using a Gm chord.

BTW, there is a bridge to the song:

|Eb(#4) - |Eb(#4) - |G - |G - |
    |D7 - |D7 - |G - |G - |

The Eb(#4) - given its previous context - suggests G harmonic minor again, but could just be Eb lydian (Bb major). The rest is G major.

That's followed by the guitar solo, on the first 8 bars of the verse sequence, in which he uses (as suggested above) G harmonic minor scale on the first 4 bars and Bb major on the 2nd 4.

EDIT: chord chart adjusted to fit 6/8 (2 triple beats per beat).
    Last edited by JonR; 03-31-2011 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

To me, this song is a bit too simple and distinctive for a jazz over.

Anyway, JonR is basically right, four measures (if you take this as 6/8 instead of 3/4 ) G-min (implied Spanish, Mexicano), then on to Bb (or F then to Bb) then G major. Wandering key centers and rubato feel are a characteristic of intros and overtures, warming the ear up for what is to come. And yes the dissonant A (#4) is in the melody.

So, as I understand the questions, and that's not easy -
    I don't think you can pull from the GHM as a path to "improv freedom."
    First, I would resist the idea that "scale" leads to freedom.
    Second, IMO, there is no strong prference of F# or F before the D-chord. And during the D chord there is no strong reason not to use both F's.
    Generally, I don't take this chord movement as "harmonic minor," just because there is an Eb. Many types of minor-key songs with a Eb(7)-D(7) movements are not HM. Examples: It Don't Mean a Thing, Agua de Beber, Walk Don't Run. If the composers aren't thinking scale-scale-scale on this chord movement, why should I?

BTW, I am surprised, given the history of the forum, that no one told you to use the Bb Jazz minor for the Eb#11.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle
    To me, this song is a bit too simple and distinctive for a jazz over.
    Well, as it is, it certainly isn't jazz, and doesn't seem to belong here. But then jazz was only ever about messing around with popular music...
    And there's some interesting changes there, well worthy of discussion from a jazz perpective, if the OP is into that (and he has come here, rather than to some rock theory board...).
    Anyway, JonR is basically right, four measures (if you take this as 6/8 instead of 3/4)
    Right, I'd say definitely 6/8! The way I marked the chords didn't make that clear. Out of habit I marked it as 4 beats per bar and it's 2. I shall now edit my previous post...
    So, as I understand the questions, and that's not easy -
    I don't think you can pull from the GHM as a path to "improv freedom."
    First, I would resist the idea that "scale" leads to freedom.
    +1
    Second, IMO, there is no strong prference of F# or F before the D-chord.
    True. F would fit equally well (and perhaps better) on the Eb and Cm.
    And during the D chord there is no strong reason not to use both F's.
    Maybe, but the F# is clearly in the chord. Harmonic minor is a reasonable choice, and F natural could easily be a passing note. And of course (this being a jazz forum) we could mention D HW dim and D altered too...
    The attraction of harmonic minor is that it fits all 4 chords, and so unifies them as a progression. But still, there's enough time on the individiual chords to explore other options.
    Generally, I don't take this chord movement as "harmonic minor," just because there is an Eb. Many types of minor-key songs with a Eb(7)-D(7) movements are not HM. Examples: It Don't Mean a Thing, Agua de Beber, Walk Don't Run. If the composers aren't thinking scale-scale-scale on this chord movement, why should I?
    Very true.
    It's clearly "minor key" (IMO), and of course the minor key has variable 6th and 7th degrees. The chords here allow a variety of Fs at least.
    BTW, I am surprised, given the history of the forum, that no one told you to use the Bb Jazz minor for the Eb#11.
    It won't be long now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    But then jazz was only ever about messing around with popular music...
    Even when jazz was popular music?

I'd say definitely 6/8!
    When there is a drummer stomping and the first downbeat, and hitting the snare on the second one, I'd say definitely.

Looked over on Wiki. Amazing how much play this song has had.

User Info Menu

Even when jazz was popular music?
    Of course! Messing around with popular music used to be more popular than it is now.
    Looked over on Wiki. Amazing how much play this song has had.
    Hmm, I'd never heard it before - mind you I never heard of that film it was written for either. And while I quite like the tune and changes, the lyrics and his delivery kind of make me want to throw up... and the pseudo-Spanish vibe is ultra-cheesy.
    Surprised to see the guitar was Paco de Lucia! It's certainly nicely played, but sounds a little like flamenco-by-numbers. I guess that's what they paid him for.

So everyone just decided to blow me off because I am not doing a "Jazz" tune? LOL

User Info Menu

No one blew you off, not that there would be anything wrong in that. There just doesn't seem to be anything left of the song to discuss, given you question about whether HM scale is the path to improv freedom. The only "cool" chord voicing possibility I see G-Db-Eb-A , the second time the melody goes to A, which is added one note not on the original.

If you have a more specific question, somebody will probably answer despire your ingratitude.
    Last edited by Aristotle; 04-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Surprised to see the guitar was Paco de Lucia!
    Did you see that in Wiki or see him in the video in the cafe scene?

Screw you Aristotle

User Info Menu

Screw you Aristotle
    You're welcome.

User Info Menu

Screw you Aristotle
    Now Johnny.....honestly - would Jesus write something like that?

User Info Menu

Don't needle him. Maybe he'll ask for help with another song.

User Info Menu

Did you see that in Wiki or see him in the video in the cafe scene?
    wiki.

User Info Menu

So everyone just decided to blow me off because I am not doing a "Jazz" tune? LOL
    I'm not "blowing you off" (especially as that has a rather different meaning in the UK...)

I posted because you asked a good question, and the song is worth analysing. I don't much like the song - apart from the chord changes, which are quite interesting - but I guess there was no need for me to offer that opinion. No offence intended - not to you anyhow.
    (And Mr Adams won't be bothered by what I think of him.)

I know man, I didn't read before I commented before I read all the postings, I am brand new at this, I felt like a pile after I read all the replys, and tried to edit and I guess it went through anyway. Following that I still continued on my nitwit course and again said an ignoranious thing to Aristole. Hope he forgives me at some point.

User Info Menu

I know man, I didn't read before I commented before I read all the postings, I am brand new at this, I felt like a pile after I read all the replys, and tried to edit and I guess it went through anyway. Following that I still continued on my nitwit course and again said an ignoranious thing to Aristole. Hope he forgives me at some point.
    Who cares if he doesn't! You're welcome here, but you'll be aware there are one or two members who take no prisoners.

Take a look over on AAJ too:
    Music Theory and Analysis - Jazz Bulletin Board
    The advice may not be any better (or clearer), but I've seen much less sarcasm or argumentativeness over there.