The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread but to me the Ma7#5 is like the 'Swiss Army knife' of chords since it works against all kinds of qualities

Cma7# works as the upper partials to D7 (7 9 #11 13) and of course the TT sub of D , Ab ( 3 #5 1 b9).

There's a thread about this under Chords (I think) where Bako points out all the possible common usages.

As far as the augmented scale I haven't really worked on it but I'm not really hearing it as "dominant". Too many 1/2 step resolutions. I think it would work better as a pentatonic, but the note you leave out would depend on the chord you use it against.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Not to hijack the thread but to me the Ma7#5 is like the 'Swiss Army knife' of chords since it works against all kinds of qualities

Cma7# works as the upper partials to D7 (7 9 #11 13) and of course the TT sub of D , Ab ( 3 #5 1 b9).
    Right, that's what I was thinking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    On the same root??
    sure thing...

hancock, shorter, towner, liebman, brecker, mendoza, maria schneider amo
    use it as a compositional & improvisational tool... commonly used in post-60's
    modern jazz...

a good intro for you might be 'Ron Miller - Modal Jazz Composition & Harmony, Vol. 1 (Advance Music)'
    Last edited by oneworld; 03-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneworld
    sure thing...

hancock, shorter, towner, liebman, brecker, mendoza, maria schneider amo
    use it as a compositional & improvisational tool... commonly used in post-60's
    modern jazz...

a good intro for you might be 'Ron Miller - Modal Jazz Composition & Harmony, Vol. 1 (Advance Music)'
    I don't see how maj7#5s sub for dom7s in functional harmony, let alone in modal harmony.
    Any chance of a quote from the book? Or better, a recorded example?

User Info Menu

CMa7+/D-----D13#11

very common dominant chord