The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Bert Ligon's Jazz Theory Books...

I just picked these up last week. I read through them like a madman over the last four days... I will hit the examples over the next year or so. There is so much good stuff in there! I can say with certainty that there are among the best (jazz) theory texts ever written.

Amazon.com: Jazz Theory Resources: Volume 1 (9780634038617): Bert Ligon: Books

Amazon.com: Jazz Theory Resources: Volume 2 (Jazz Book) (0073999320428): Bert Ligon: Books

Amazon.com: Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians: For All Instruments (Jazz Book) (9780634001765): Bert Ligon: Books

Of course, I read this one a while back and played through all the examples... I based the outline ideas in my book on it. It is a must, IMO.

Amazon.com: Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony (Jazz Book) (9780793561933): Bert Ligon: Books

Those of you who have read Jazz Theory Resources please post about your experiences and so on.
    Last edited by JonnyPac; 02-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

you got it johnny pac..

I have been keen on bert ligon before I found this wonderful site...have mentioned his name many times...excellent stuff..

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    ...I can say with certainty that there are among the best (jazz) theory texts ever written. ...
    So, there is life after Levine?

Man, when you go for something, you sure go whole hog.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Of course, I read this one a while back and played through all the examples... I based the outline ideas in my book on it. It is a must, IMO.

Amazon.com: Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony (Jazz Book) (9780793561933): Bert Ligon: Books
    I have this book but have yet to dive into it. Now that you've read through all of Ligon's books, which one would you recommend starting with?

User Info Menu

4 Days, My God!

User Info Menu

I just picked these up last week. I read through them like a madman over the last four days... I will hit the examples over the next year or so. There is so much good stuff in there! I can say with certainty that there are among the best (jazz) theory texts ever written.

Amazon.com: Jazz Theory Resources: Volume 1 (9780634038617): Bert Ligon: Books

Amazon.com: Jazz Theory Resources: Volume 2 (Jazz Book) (0073999320428): Bert Ligon: Books

Amazon.com: Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians: For All Instruments (Jazz Book) (9780634001765): Bert Ligon: Books
    Good books, yes.

Jazzpunk: I'd say that vol 1 is the place to start.

Ozoro: I've spent 4 years (or could be 8, can't really remember when I got them), and I still look forward to taking them down from the shelf again. JP is a superman, so we ordinary guys should not compare ourself to him ;-)

User Info Menu

I requested "Jazz Theory Resources" through the public library's inter-library loan department (-the library is my "Cheers", the place I go where "everyone knows my name.") I want to spend a week with it and then decide if I want to buy a copy.

Still working on "Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony." My main book-work remains the Herb Ellis "rhythm changes" stuff, learning lines and transposing them to 11 other keys. Takes me awhile, but the more I do it, the faster I get at it. That. comping, and learning tunes is my focus now. But I do put in some time with Bert every day. It's coming...

User Info Menu

There's lots of good info on Bert's website, too, if anyone wants to get a sampling. Very good material, and very well presented (IMHO).

User Info Menu

I got the "Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony" a month or so ago and like what I have read so far makes a lot of sense. I was at a music store two weeks ago and spent some time scanning "Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians" and really like what I saw. I picked up a used copy off Amazon and it just arrived a couple days ago. I am so glad I got it, it has so many of the patterns and approaches all in one book. Bert Ligon is a great Jazz educator.

Warning: This is a book for any instrument, it's not guitar specific and has no TAB.
    Last edited by docbop; 02-15-2011 at 11:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Warning: This is a book for any instrument, it's not guitar specific and has no TAB.
    I think that goes for all Ligon's books. I know it goes for "Linear Harmony." Ironically, Ligon *is* a guitar player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar

Peace,
    Kevin
    Did you have something on topic to add or just trolling this thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Good books, yes.

Jazzpunk: I'd say that vol 1 is the place to start.
    Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Did you have something on topic to add or just trolling this thread?
    I was just teasing a bit. On his thread on Levine, he seemed to put him on such a pedestal. Now it seems that someone else is the center of the universe. By his own admission, he's only had them for four days.

Pointing out that his enthusiasm may be premature and exaggerated is not trolling.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

I was just teasing a bit. On his thread on Levine, he seemed to put him on such a pedestal. Now it seems that someone else is the center of the universe. By his own admission, he's only had them for four days.

Pointing out that his enthusiasm may be premature and exaggerated is not trolling.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Kevin you're clearly trolling on this thread. If you haven't read the Lignon books than you have nothing on topic to offer.

Nobody cares about your personal opinions of Jonny so just keep them to yourself. Jonny is entitled to be enthusiastic about whatever he damn well pleases. If you don't like how he expresses himself just stay out of his threads.

He's on his own path of discovery and I appreciate his enthusiasm and sincerity in sharing his journey with the rest of us.
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 02-15-2011 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh Shut The F*ck Up All Of You.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've praised what I've heard about Ligon's books in the past. It was not a criticism of Ligon. It was merely pointing out the irony. Some people are like that, they go from one "greatest thing" to another.

Relax, man. People make cute little remarks in threads all the time - many less productive, more non-sequitous and more often than I do. Why am I being singled out?

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-15-2011 at 07:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I've praised what I've heard about Ligon's books in the past. It was not a criticism of Ligon. It was merely pointing out the irony. Some people are like that, they go from one "greatest thing" to another.
    There is nothing ironic about going through different phases in one's learning nor being enthusiastic about new concepts and ideas as they are discovered. I think it happens to a lot of us along our journeys down the rabbit hole.

Relax, man. People make cute little remarks in threads all the time - many less productive, more non-sequitous and more often than I do. Why am I being singled out?

Peace,
    Kevin
    I'll take this to PM.
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 02-15-2011 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow... I missed this! Drama. Damn. Evey time.

I've read a lot of theory over the years. I also read Jazzology a week ago. There is not a lot of stuff that I am completely unaware of; it's the authors emphasis that really makes a difference. Burt really hit the nail on the head in his epic four book set. It's 100% solid stuff... and his attitude is nice and helpful. He really seems to care about his students in life or via reading his work.

Thanks for getting my back, JPunk. I am enthusiastic. If I wasn't, devoting tons of time to something that no one really cares about and yields no substantial $ income would be miserable. If it's not fun, screw it. I can get my OCD a better rush with a vacuum, broom, and duster. I enjoy music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    There's lots of good info on Bert's website, too, if anyone wants to get a sampling. Very good material, and very well presented (IMHO).
    http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/jazz/faculty.html

http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/jazz/transcriptions.html

Original Compositions
    Last edited by paynow; 02-15-2011 at 11:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Gersdal, I feel better.

User Info Menu

I only read the text and observed the examples so far. Playing through it will be another case. lol. I'll be plugging away for a while to get the details. Practice practice practice... Cheers!

User Info Menu

I only read the text and observed the examples so far. Playing through it will be another case. lol. I'll be plugging away for a while to get the details. Practice practice practice... Cheers!
    You've gotten me interested in these books and I really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Peace,
    Kevin
    Let's f*ck this pig!!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

User Info Menu

But really, they are great books. The best. I'm glad Mr. Pac's little book reflects many similar ideas with a fretboard approach to the dreaded CST.

My top favs are Burt's four epic books, Jazzology, and JP's guitar booklet. Just enough theory to get busy and play!