The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    Boy, what a waste of time talking to you.
    Just learn how to read, and you won't waste your time attacking points people never made. FWIW, I bet you'll make the mistake again and again for the rest of your life, because your mistake had nothing to do with who happened to write the post.

Even after I referenced you back to four separate posts, you can't grasp the simple idea that my gripe is with the education system - not this book.

What? Are you so deep into this "creative" writing thing that when someone writes "cloud" you can't contrue it to mean cloud? It's all just symbolism, metaphor and allegory? Ooh, what does cloud REALLY mean, as the metaphor plays on multiple levels?

They did go to school. Just the old-school of the private instructo
    I kept writing college, college, college - college jazz major - then I write "school," and some jackass misinterprets my remarks. Try it on for size one more time, ding-dong. Brown died in his mid 20's. If he had to learn how to play in college, he might have died even before he finished school (school ie college).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle
    ...I kept writing college, college, college - college jazz major - then I write "school," and some jackass misinterprets my remarks.
    My point would have been the same. There is more than one way to get an education. I would have thought that you liked my comment.

I think that those guys didn't need Ligon's book (or whatever) because they were surrounded by music that had good voice leading. When he was learning in the 30s, almost all music would have had melody that wove itself tightly into the harmony. Now so many people grow listening to pop/rock where things are not always so functional, in melody or harmony. Even if they listen to jazz, they may be listening to someone who just runs the scales over the top. Players today don't have this language programmed into their ears from birth. Many don't even know that there is a difference.

And in defense of brick and mortar music education... Those guys, as incredible as they were, were very narrow in their skills. They played one or two kinds of jazz and that was pretty much it. (And maybe that focus is what allowed them to go so deep.) Most players nowadays are expected to be conversant with almost a century of jazz and be expected to play other styles as well, even (*gasp*) classical. We're expected to be more versatile. And back then, there was a jazz jam on every corner that went to 5am to foster your education, now you have to drive 40 miles to some place to play 3 songs.

I think that people can be self-taught still, but it takes a lot of discipline. The problem with being self-taught is that most people just focus on the things that they like and only go as deep was they feel like. The nice thing about the structured program is that it forces you to try things you wouldn't have and forces you to go deeper and see things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle
    Try it on for size one more time, ding-dong. Brown died in his mid 20's. ....[emphasis added]
    It's amazing how often I get called out for a rough "tone" and so often I suffer direct abuse like this and nothing gets said. You guys have some strange standards here. Oh well, it's the internet. Not to mention that he called me a jack-ass earlier.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-04-2011 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

You guys scare me! eeek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D
    I like your points very much, markerhodes. You are right on.
    +1

User Info Menu

Hey JP... miss hearing... reading your posts... Best Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, I'll try to stick it out.