The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I've heard:

Sears & Roebuck chord changes, the same as ice cream changes.

Being a hired gun: not a member of a band, just hired out for a gig.

Honk: to improvise (heard Nashville studio guitarist Brent Mason use this)

Play a Cantor: I heard this from Hank Mackie, jazz professor at the University of New Orleans. I believe the entertainer was Eddie Cantor(?) who wanted a particular intro when he walked out on stage. It was a simple chord change. So, when someone wanted some sort of an intro, they'd say play a Cantor.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    ...Play a Cantor: I heard this from Hank Mackie, jazz professor at the University of New Orleans. I believe the entertainer was Eddie Cantor(?) who wanted a particular intro when he walked out on stage. It was a simple chord change. So, when someone wanted some sort of an intro, they'd say play a Cantor.
    Hank is great, isn't he? I took lessons from him when I lived in New Orleans - changed my life. I've heard the Eddie Cantor thing, but off a George Benson video. He referred the I-vi-ii-V vamp as "Eddie Cantor changes."

Peace,
    Kevin

These may be dated....

Lizard = a bad note

Train Wreck = the entire band collapses into chaos during a song

Cookin' with gas = playing a hot solo

User Info Menu

KS, Hank really is a great player. He's also an incredible teacher. Of all the people I've heard play, I would like to play like him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    Hank is great, isn't he? I took lessons from him when I lived in New Orleans - changed my life. I've heard the Eddie Cantor thing, but off a George Benson video. He referred the I-vi-ii-V vamp as "Eddie Cantor changes."

Peace,
    Kevin
    Right. I his book "Bass Line", Milt Hinton tells about a night at the Plaza Grill when he substituted for Duke Ellingtons regular bassist. Nobody in the band was willing to help Hinton out on the bass intro for the first tune, and finally he turned to Duke himself who said "Don't worry. Just Cantor in F untill I bring in the band." - which explained everything.

And one from Benny Carter: After his pianist played a very soft and beautiful ballad, complete with soft whisker comping, Carter said "Now, that sure sounded like mice pi***ng on cotton!"

Lester Young is likely the alltime unchallenged champion of jazz slang. He had a partly private version of the hippest talk of the day. He also had some wonderfully oblique expressions. "Ding Dong" meant that something was very good - it was eventually abbrevated to "Bells". White musicians was "gray boys": "Talking about the grey boys, I'd say Allen Eager can play". When someone said something he disliked, he'd say "I feel a draft!". When someone, whom he didn't like, entered the room, it was "Von Hangman is here". Poul Quinichette tried to play more like Lester than Lester himself, and Lester said of him:"I don't know whether it's Lady Q plying like me or me playing like Lady Q, because he plays so much like me." Lester didn't want to be "a repeater pencil" - and wouldn't want anybody else to be either. Confronted with the fact that so many played like him, he said: "If they all play like me, then who am I?". Of course everyone was a MF - meant affectionately or negatively, depending on the context. The keys on his sax was his "people". He invented nicknames for a lot of colleques: "The Holy Man" for Count Basie, "Sweets" for Harry Edison, "Pepper" for Freddie Green, "Lady Day" for Billie Holiday and "Mr. Five By Five" for Jimmy Rushing, just to name a few.

User Info Menu

Strangers - wrong notes in a chart (from Rick Wilkins, the great tenor player and arranger.)

User Info Menu

"Four on the floor" - good solid swing era, four quarter notes to the bar, Freddie Green style. Also applicable to drummer or bass player doing a similar feel.