The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 78 of 78

User Info Menu

Not to take sides or start trouble but he has a point with this line:

"If Kevin can come here and feel free to be himself, and express his views, isn't that something the rest of us are entitled to do without being judged?"

I don't think he meant BS as in untrue statements. I think he was refering more to the shear volume of words in the post

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh please, tell us the story of the kettle. I just love a good story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Oh please, tell us the story of the kettle. I just love a good story.
    Well, ok, then...
    Are you sitting comfortably..? ....Then I'll begin...

[QUOTE from Wikipedia...]The teapot, in calling the kettle black, engages in a subtle form of hypocrisy--the subtlety of the expression having been lost through the ages. The teapot says only what is true, indeed what is obvious; but she forgets to acknowledge that it is only the kettle's direct absorption of the flame (the kettle's "doing the dirty work") which permits her to avoid the soot, and thus maintain her aesthetic appeal. The kettle sacrifices his cleanliness, and indeed his very visibility, solely that the teapot should keep hers, and both remain essential participants in the tea ritual as a whole. Thus, even as the teapot receives all the glory of ceremony, she nevertheless is in no moral position to criticize the kettle.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE from Wikipedia...]A "Pot calling the kettle black" argument can often be an Ad hominem attack. For example:
    Sophie posted an off-topic post to a mailing list, and many people didn't like it.
    Some time afterwards, Jack posts a political post to his otherwise technical blog.
    Sophie criticises Jack for posting a political post.
    David posts a reply to Sophie's comment saying that Sophie is accusing Jack of posting an off-topic message on his blog, while she did the same. ("Pot calling the kettle black.")
    However, Sophie's criticism was about the post's political nature and in the case of the mailing list, it may have been more justified, or she had learnt from her mistakes.[/QUOTE]

...and, not to unfairly take sides (oops...), I'm with old Gumbo on this.
    If I didn't know you all better, I'd suspect some sniffing of Harmonic Glue here.
    Now, back to the topic...
    Jazz is Dead
    ...what was the original topic, anyway?
    Douglas
    The 'not to be taken seriously' one...