The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    But I don't see it as one scale effectively, instead I think of it as 2 complimentary 4 note arpeggios with passing notes. ...
    I guess I can sorta see what you're saying. I guess it's no different than thinking one scale over a ii-V-I and adjusting your thinking for each chord.

I guess I can see where you're going with this. Let us know if anything good comes out of it.

Peace,
    Kevin

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    I guess I can sorta see what you're saying. I guess it's no different than thinking one scale over a ii-V-I and adjusting your thinking for each chord.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Well, yes and no... a 2 - 5 - 1 in major would require a bebop scale for the 2 - 5 and a maj bebop for the 1. If I were to try to apply linear lines over this using straight modes derived from essentially C major then I am limited by my ability to adjust my thinking if a line goes beyond one octave. I'm also limited by my (lack of) ability to quickly select appropriate passing notes between chord tones in the scale throughout various octaves. The 8 note scale frees me from this anxiety somewhat knowing that I'm landing on solid chord tones along with good passing notes.

Maybe in this sense I am looking for simplification to a linear approach. Mind you, when I think arps and subs embellishment, then I tend to "see" the chord tones quicker, which is what I think you might be alluding to as the more desired route to improv bliss, but I don't always want to be thinking like this, I like long linear lines sometimes. Dunno how much of this 8 note approach will make it into my personal bag, but I'm gonna try to make it stick. Will let you know how I go. (Will this forum still be around in 2020? ).

BTW, I appreciate your time in considering these posts, even if from the standpoint of "Devil's Advocacy". It's warnings like your's that will hopefully hasten a retreat from this path if it all gets too muddy.....

(PS. C major bebop against D dorian or D min blues works great when starting on the C6 "matrix", it's Ab slips in easily against the D blues scale and gives the basic blues scale some interesting diversions...)
    Last edited by princeplanet; 12-04-2010 at 05:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Mind you, when I think arps and subs embellishment, then I tend to "see" the chord tones quicker, which is what I think you might be alluding to as the more desired route to improv bliss, but I don't always want to be thinking like this....
    Of course, I think that "hearing" is the eventual goal. But the guitar is such a visual instrument that it would be a shame not to take advantage of it. In my mind's eye, I tend to "see" the chord tones within the scales and "see" where they need to resolve. This is usually guided by my ear. When I'm on and hot, it's almost entirely ear.

And for the record, I do not advocate that anyone should be "always" thinking in one way. Learn to think and hear every way you can and draw on those as you will to make your own sound.

But good hunting.

Peace,
    Kevin