The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I like some feedback on the CAGED system. Does that system of learning the fingerboard...(chord locations, chordal notes, arpeggios, chord forms, scales, lead patterns) does that sytem really help.
    I heard some guitar players like it some don't. Some say OK, but you then forget about it .... just let it go once you know.
    I have stubby fingers they don't look like Chuck Berry's, Hendrix, Tal Farlow's hands but they are not Django's either (Yeah, he was a genius).
    Those chord forms I have seen for the CAGED system are a real frethand stretcher.
    Any feedback on this system. I heard Joe Pass encouraged using this system to learn on guitar.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by cisco kid; 06-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I liked the CAGED system it's a great simple way to learn the fretboard. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. It obviously is very dependent on the barre which can be a pain at times, literally! I find it hugely helpful for chord melody solo arranging. Derived from this system I use a lot of very easy to grab chords with just a barre and two fingers that can produce a huge range of harmonic possibilities.

User Info Menu

as there are five different pitches of open strings on standard guitars, there are five kinds of patterns in which most everything occurs. recognizing that is very useful in developing fingerboard understanding and facility.

User Info Menu

It seems there are two misconceptions on this post re: CAGED...

Those chord forms I have seen for the CAGED system are a real frethand stretcher.
    It obviously is very dependent on the barre which can be a pain at times, literally!
    That does not have to be the case. All chords/scales/arpeggios can be related to the CAGED system, whether they're stretchers or barre chords or not. You don't come up with unique or different chords using CAGED - it's the same chords. CAGED is just a system of organizing the neck. (Some chords/scales/arpeggios stretch over more than one of the CAGED positions but you can still relate them to your CAGED positions).

This is my favorite material on CAGED:

BTstudent8024 | Scribd
    Last edited by fep; 06-24-2010 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I played piano first. When I wanted to learn guitar - before the internet - I was sure that someone had codified a pattern of the layout of scales and arpeggios. I called around looking for an instructor who explain just that.

Although I later expanded my version of it - to the in-between positions as well, some of which are the three-notes-per-sting forms, and using string-finger numbers to label the forms (like 62 for the G scale in the second position) - that was all the "guitar lessons" I ever needed.

Oh, and I have short fingers also, but not quite as short as some women are masters of classical guitar. For example,

FWIW, if you want to play guitar and think you have small hands, try the cello for size. When you go back to the guitar you'll think it's not so bad.
    Last edited by Aristotle; 06-24-2010 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Read Bill Edwards, "Fretboard Logic"

Fretboard logic gave me some insight the tuning EADGBE is a gift from long ago, BT student 8024 is a keepsake.Keeping the caged pattern while playing your guitar is something to learn

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen John Mayers hands.... His fingers are as long as his arm!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz omaha
    Has anyone seen John Mayers hands.... His fingers are as long as his arm!!!!
    No wonder the ladies love him!

User Info Menu

I knew somebody was going bring that subject up, oh well.

User Info Menu

Yes, you learn CAGED, then you let it go. CAGED is a system for fretboard navigation. But once you develop a fair degree of fretboard mastery you simply don't need the system anymore. You have it locked into your memory. Fep is right on. You can relate every chord and chord voicing to a CAGED position. It just helps you remember where this or that voicing of a particular chord is located with respect to its roots on different strings. You don't have to play the actual CAGED grips. You can used CAGED to just organize triads, or even individual roots, or thirds, etc.

User Info Menu

Right. It is what it says, the logical layout of the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    No wonder the ladies love him!
    Im jealous! haha but seriously guys got chops...

User Info Menu

I am enjoying some of the comments I am reading about the "CAGED" system. Gads, it took me a while until I figured out what this meant. Dan Denley recently put out a course that makes it pretty simple. Fortunately, I had it down before this, but I run into a lot of would be axe players that are scared to even try to figure it out. You learn where the root notes are and can modify the fingerings if stretching is a problem. At the very least you learn the basics of chord structure and that is good. So I am not surprised that so many guitar teachers advicate it. This is a worthy discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbdean55
    Hi,
    I like some feedback on the CAGED system. Does that system of learning the fingerboard...(chord locations, chordal notes, arpeggios, chord forms, scales, lead patterns) does that sytem really help.
    I heard some guitar players like it some don't. Some say OK, but you then forget about it .... just let it go once you know.
    I have stubby fingers they don't look like Chuck Berry's, Hendrix, Tal Farlow's hands but they are not Django's either (Yeah, he was a genius).
    Any feedback on this system. I heard Joe Pass encouraged using this system to learn on guitar.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Try This Jazz Guitar Starting Right

User Info Menu

Fep is our resident CAGED expert, but there is nothing out there in the instructional world (generally speaking), that is nearly as prevalent as CAGED. Even if they don't call it that, they use part of it.

I use it some with students, particularly early on, and then go other directions. It was the first organized system of learning the fretboard I was exposed to in the mid 80's when I first started taking lessons.

User Info Menu

I come from a different direction, but I've been looking at some of the CAGED stuff on the Net recently, especially scale stuff. Particularly, I've been looking at what people sometimes call the 5 "standard" scale patterns, because they are slightly different from the Berklee method scales I have been using. Three of the five use Aaron Shearer's squeeze technique for slight position changes, something I had not practised before, so that's something gained (and you can't have too many strings to your bow), but I have reservations, especially that I don't find them as rational for playing in patterns of thirds and so on, and I don't see a logical way to extrapolate them to different kinds of scale. Once you have the Berklee scales down, it's a piece of cake to find all 12 major scales and the different minor scales in every key in any position on the neck, for example - in other words, the Berklee scales provide a foundation to build on which I don't really see in the CAGED scales. I haven't gone into this in any depth, I admit, and I expect I'm missing the point (as usual), it's just my two centimos' worth.