Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

First post, so like many I'm sure I tend to buy books, videos, online courses etc to get going with jazz guitar always assuming the next one will be the one to push my playing on with little success. So I've decided to get myself some lessons to let someone else take the pressure of what I need to learn to get to my goals. If there is one positive out of COVID it's the fact that it means I can try guitar lessons with someone from practicality anywhere in the world. So with that does anybody have any recommendations for teachers or does anybody on here teach Jazz Guitar online?

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have a look at truefire.com.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    Hi guys,

First post, so like many I'm sure I tend to buy books, videos, online courses etc to get going with jazz guitar always assuming the next one will be the one to push my playing on with little success. So I've decided to get myself some lessons to let someone else take the pressure of what I need to learn to get to my goals. If there is one positive out of COVID it's the fact that it means I can try guitar lessons with someone from practicality anywhere in the world. So with that does anybody have any recommendations for teachers or does anybody on here teach Jazz Guitar online?

Cheers
    Message Me privately. I offer lessons through Zoom/Skype. I have been teaching for over 30 years and I play professionally.

I charge $50 USD per hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Who do you like? If they're still alive they're probably doing lessons somewhere.

User Info Menu

Contact Pete Sklaroff (a member here, too). Fantastic teacher/player!

Marc

User Info Menu

I also thought I needed a private teacher to tell me what I needed to learn and do. Turns out you still have to do all the hard work yourself... For me, a teacher didn't work. I tried three teachers. I was just stressing and trying to soak up all the info in the short lessons. Didn't feel right at all. An all-access account on Truefire means I can design my own curriculum with a number of different teachers. Those video lessons are really good and to me the 40-60 Euros per hour for a private teacher are just too much. I attend a weekly jazz combo with a teacher where I get feedback (not instrument specific). I'm also working on Jody Fishers complete jazz guitar books to make sure I'm covering all I need to know. I also have an account at Artistworks with Dave Stryker where I can get guitar specific feedback, but I find I use that less often than Truefire.

User Info Menu

I currently take Skype lesson from Chris Parks TILF Barry Harris (uTube).

chrisparksjass22@gmail.com

He's about as close, for a guitarist, to BH as you can get if you are interested in his improvisational / harmonic theories, and Dr. Harris won't be with us forever.

Thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

Guitar Classes – California Jazz Conservatory

I've taken a jazz guitar class (pre-pandemic) taught by Jeff Massanari and am currently taking a comping class via zoom taught by Steve Erquiaga. I'd rate both as a good value.

Everything at the Berkeley CA jazz school is currently online so you might want to have a look.

The zoom thing is a little awkward at first, but not bad after you get the bugs worked out, and it's beneficial to have an instructor provide feedback in real time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    Hi guys,

Cheers
    Hi neonshaker,

If you're still looking for an instructor to cover jazz guitar I'd be happy to offer my services. I'm currently teaching via Zoom/Skype/Google. I have many years experience teaching all levels of musicians. I'm a performing jazz guitarist and educator with experience across several genres. If you'd like to chat a little over zoom/skype about lessons and what I can offer I'd be happy to schedule a time to do that. You can find more info at my website here: Daniel DeLorenzo .

If there's anything I can help you with please let me know.

Feel free to reach out any time here:
    ddelorenzomusic@gmail.com

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gionnio
    Guitar Classes – California Jazz Conservatory

I've taken a jazz guitar class (pre-pandemic) taught by Jeff Massanari and am currently taking a comping class via zoom taught by Steve Erquiaga. I'd rate both as a good value.

Everything at the Berkeley CA jazz school is currently online so you might want to have a look.

The zoom thing is a little awkward at first, but not bad after you get the bugs worked out, and it's beneficial to have an instructor provide feedback in real time.
    Steve is a fantastic teacher; he can play AND he can explain it. He is really good at offering targeted feedback that helps you to identify, isolate, and resolve stumbling blocks without ever making you feel put down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    For me, a teacher didn't work. I tried three teachers. I was just stressing and trying to soak up all the info in the short lessons. Didn't feel right at all.
    Sometimes it's takes work to find a good teacher! Years ago I started taking guitar lessons from a female and it was like magic! Many guitar players have huge egos, women are normally easier on the eyes and easier on the ego. just my 2 cents!

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention the new roadmap course by Jens Larsen. He's an excellent teacher and has loads of free stuff online, but this course is a step by step method which I'm really enjoying.
    The Jazz Guitar Roadmap

User Info Menu

I’m taking zoom lessons these days. It’s brilliant. The lesson is recorded and I can go online and watch it over and over again. I can break it down into two second installments and focus on what my teacher is doing. I don’t need to take notes during the lesson because I can review the lesson at any time. I am generally very happy.