User Info Menu

Hello jazz guitarists =),

I've studied and played classical guitar for about 10 years or so. I've had a fascination with jazz guitar/music for almost as long but never really dove into it for reasons I won't bore you with. Although I've been playing classical and have taken lessons from great teachers, I'm a little disappointed with how I've developed as a musician. There are certain musical skills that are not emphasized in a classical curriculum. Either that or I'm just a lousy student.

Anyway, I would like to learn how to use my ears, to be able to comp, to improvised, to understand jazz harmony. I'm decent with my fingers, reading, and classical theory. I kinda know the fret board, just not how to use it in any meaningful way =D. I've little proficiency with a pick and my ears. Apart from chaotically jumping between methods and chord melodies, I'm working on 7th chords, shell voicing, and drop 2 voicing. I find it hard to absorb information if I don't have a need for it. For instance, if I don't have situations where I would be calling on 7th chord or drop 2 voicing, I'd forget it in a week.

I hope to find a teacher that is thorough yet patient enough to work with a tone-deaf cinder block. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

Best,
    Robbie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robbie.c

I've studied and played classical guitar for about 10 years or so. I've had a fascination with jazz guitar/music for almost as long but never really dove into it for reasons I won't bore you with. Although I've been playing classical and have taken lessons from great teachers, I'm a little disappointed with how I've developed as a musician. There are certain musical skills that are not emphasized in a classical curriculum. Either that or I'm just a lousy student.

Anyway, I would like to learn how to use my ears, to be able to comp, to improvised, to understand jazz harmony. I'm decent with my fingers, reading, and classical theory. I kinda know the fret board, just not how to use it in any meaningful way =D. I've little proficiency with a pick and my ears. Apart from chaotically jumping between methods and chord melodies, I'm working on 7th chords, shell voicing, and drop 2 voicing. I find it hard to absorb information if I don't have a need for it. For instance, if I don't have situations where I would be calling on 7th chord or drop 2 voicing, I'd forget it in a week.

I hope to find a teacher that is thorough yet patient enough to work with a tone-deaf cinder block. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

Best,
    Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I'd be delighted to help out if you are interested, as I have taught a lot of students with a similar background to yours.

My website site link is below and if what I do looks of interest, then by all means drop me a line via the site and we can talk about what you'd like to develop etc.

https://www,petesklaroff.com

Thanks

Pete

User Info Menu

Best,
    Robbie
    Hi Robbie,

I have taught many students with a similar history to yours.

Send me a PM and we can discuss some details.

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I can help you---with plain-spoken, practical advice and concrete direction for this new (for you) language. I'm plenty patient, and aim to bring you out, with pinpointed info. Will listen, diagnose, prescribe.

PM if interested...

User Info Menu

Best,
    Robbie
    I have been teaching guitar for 35 years. I specialize in new comers to Jazz.
    First lesson is Free.
    PM me if you are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk