Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I'm 32, but I need to get better, working on my own music which has some...'jazzy' elements and chords (I can attach a sample of something I'm working on if necessary). Have very little understanding of theory, mainly self taught by transcribing, but haven't transcribed much jazz (just a bit of Grant Green), which is my next step.

Looking for a teacher/mentor to guide and help up my playing.

Any recommendations? I'm not too well connected in GTA.
    If you also know of any good vocal teachers too, that would be great...

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky is in Toronto. He's an incredible player and a highly regarded educator.

User Info Menu

I am from Mississauga and my guitar teacher is from Rhode Island (we have Skype Lessons).

There are no good guitar teachers in Toronto.

- Statement Based on years of negative personal life experiences.

It is unfortunate that we live in Toronto, where guitar is just an afterthought. Sports and Left Wing Liberal Politics run this place. If there's any figment of music and the arts in there, its predominantly hip-hop and rap. If you want to get into a hobby or recreational activity in Toronto, the ageists in Canada, will impose a rule that it's for Children 6-10 years old only or something like that.

My advice is that if you are looking for a guitar teacher, Look overseas in Europe or you may find some good ones in the U.S.

I was a student of Lorne Lofsky at York University. Don't waste your investment with this very terrible guitar teacher. It's a waste of time and you won't learn anything from him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    I am from Mississauga and my guitar teacher is from Rhode Island (we have Skype Lessons).

It is unfortunate that we live in Toronto, where guitar is just an afterthought. Sports and Left Wing Liberal Politics run this place. If there's any figment of music and the arts in there, its predominantly hip-hop and rap. If you want to get into a hobby or recreational activity in Toronto, the ageists in Canada, will impose a rule that it's for Children 6-10 years old only or something like that.

My advice is that if you are looking for a guitar teacher, Look overseas in Europe or you may find some good ones in the U.S.

I was a student of Lorne Lofsky at York University. Don't waste your investment with this very terrible guitar teacher. It's a waste of time and you won't learn anything from him.
    I am sorry you have had such negative personal life experiences, but your sad situation aside you are spouting nonsense.

I studied privately with Lorne (mostly in group lessons, but not at the university) for several years and learned a lot from him. There are many other excellent guitar teachers in this town. For jazz music more generally, I would recommend Howard Rees' classes in the Barry Harris vein which I have been participating in on and off for about twenty years and still find much to explore. There is a great jazz scene in Toronto covering just about every style and period of the music. The only 24/7 all-jazz station in the country (Jazz.FM91) originates here (and is heard worldwide via Internet). There are world-class jazz programs at York University, the University of Toronto, and Humber College. There are dozens of community jazz bands and hundreds of amateur ensembles. Oscar Peterson, Ed Bickert, Don Thompson, and (for a few years) Lenny Breau all chose to live here.

I won't get into a political debate with you, but you may be right about the sports.

For the OP: Lorne lives in Newmarket which is reasonably accessible from Markham (more so than from downtown Toronto). I took a few private lessons from him there and found him generous with his time and expertise.
    Last edited by pcjazz; 01-31-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Correction

User Info Menu

"The only all-jazz station on the continent" ... ?

Not hardly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I am sorry you have had such negative personal life experiences, but your sad situation aside you are spouting nonsense.

I studied privately with Lorne (mostly in group lessons, but not at the university) for several years and learned a lot from him. There are many other excellent guitar teachers in this town. For jazz music more generally, I would recommend Howard Rees' classes in the Barry Harris vein which I have been participating in on and off for about twenty years and still find much to explore. There is a great jazz scene in Toronto covering just about every style and period of the music. The only all-jazz station on the continent (Jazz.FM91) originates here (and is heard worldwide via Internet). There are world-class jazz programs at York University, the University of Toronto, and Humber College. There are dozens of community jazz bands and hundreds of amateur ensembles. Oscar Peterson, Ed Bickert, Don Thompson, and (for a few years) Lenny Breau all chose to live here.

I won't get into a political debate with you, but you may be right about the sports.

For the OP: Lorne lives in Newmarket which is reasonably accessible from Markham (more so than from downtown Toronto). I took a few private lessons from him there and found him generous with his time and expertise.
    I'm very sorry...I'm very sorry to hear that you wasted 20 years of your life hanging out with a bunch of Toronto guitar teachers.

Hailing Lorne Lofsky as the greatest of all time and marketing speak a bunch of nobodies is really sad.

Marketing speak York University as a "world-class jazz program" is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I was studying there at York for 4 years. I remember I did more science courses and liberal arts courses than actually touching an instrument there. At York, you literally have zero time to practice as you have to compensate to their academic requirements. It is a strange music program as you do more talking and theorizing than actual playing.

I don't know about Jazz Fm 91.1 - If you check music radio stations in Toronto - it is littered with a smorgasbord of rap, hip-hop, and pop trash radio stations all over the airwaves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    "The only all-jazz station on the continent" ... ?

Not hardly.
    Sorry, corrected above. But check it out online at jazz.fm

man, i don't get notifications! reading all the responses now. thanks everyone.

thanks everyone. I will check out Lorne.

User Info Menu

I know that skype teachers are a dime a dozen these days.... but I teach at an online school that takes a bit of a different approach to teaching and learning, all of which is done over skype... If you are looking for something that is an alternative to expensive music schools that is equally if not more rigorous you're welcome to check out the school at
    http://Swingthat8th.com

There's plenty of wonderful players out there that teach but a major problem lies in their inability to know what to teach the student next and also connect what you are learning to what you've previously learned. If you are interested, at our school we teach a full program from the beginning at Harmony 1 all the way up to Harmony 7, with the option to continue after that and write for big band, studio orchestra, and even full symphony orchestra if you wanted to... Our curriculum is heavily rooted, primarily coming from master arranger and educator Dick Grove as well as Joseph Schillenger. Our principal teacher Rick also studied with Henry Mancini, Pat Martino, Joe Pass, Ted Greene, and Howard Roberts and has over 30 years of success in teaching Jazz Composition and performance.

If any of that peeked your interest, feel free to PM me and we can set up a phone call to talk more about what you'd get from the school...

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swingthat8th
    I know that skype teachers are a dime a dozen these days.... but I teach at an online school that takes a bit of a different approach to teaching and learning, all of which is done over skype... If you are looking for something that is an alternative to expensive music schools that is equally if not more rigorous you're welcome to check out the school at
    http://Swingthat8th.com

There's plenty of wonderful players out there that teach but a major problem lies in their inability to know what to teach the student next and also connect what you are learning to what you've previously learned. If you are interested, at our school we teach a full program from the beginning at Harmony 1 all the way up to Harmony 7, with the option to continue after that and write for big band, studio orchestra, and even full symphony orchestra if you wanted to... Our curriculum is heavily rooted, primarily coming from master arranger and educator Dick Grove as well as Joseph Schillenger. Our principal teacher Rick also studied with Henry Mancini, Pat Martino, Joe Pass, Ted Greene, and Howard Roberts and has over 30 years of success in teaching Jazz Composition and performance.

If any of that peeked your interest, feel free to PM me and we can set up a phone call to talk more about what you'd get from the school...

Cheers
    Hi there,
    I clicked on the link you posted out of curiosity. I discovered on the website that your courses offer film scoring - while doing the composition and arranging courses first to get there - I was supposed to study film scoring at York University, but I was denied enrollment because I didn't know how to use a DAW during that time. I am suppose to inquire in your website, but I realized that the advertising of this website is here in this forum. I am interested in joining this program via Skype lessons. What are your rates?
    Thanks,
    Jason

User Info Menu

Hey Jason, I sent you a PM! Figure it'd be easier to talk there... Talk soon!

-M

hey M, i may be interested in this possibly. are there any samples of work that you would or a bit more indepth info about the curriculum?

plus fees etc and stuff?

thanks. also i have very little theory knowledge (i would consider myself a beginner) but i have been making music for a while and working on my own music currently. i can read music a little bit (but very slow).

the composition aspect is appealing because if i was able to write my own music for example i could find session players to play certain parts instead of having to do everything myself. thanks!

User Info Menu

Hey jaguarguitar, I'd be happy to get in touch with you and address any questions you might have. We usually like to set up a phone call or skype call before we get started with anything and talk about the school and what you can expect to accomplish upon studying at the RBSM.

In terms of reading, we actually have a really unique and efficient approach to how we teach it that allows you to read ALL clefs and transpose in real time without having to think twice about it... It's easy to grasp and it should help straighten any problems you have with reading right away after you look at our approach. We also have a unique approach to rhythm that allows you to read something in a very 'musical' way. We overcome the common problem of 'sounding like you're reading' with this approach to rhythm. It may sound too good to be true but when we teach something it speaks for itself... You won't have to take our word for any of it because you can see it for yourself. I say these are unique approaches because these approaches were actually developed by Rick himself.

It's worth stressing that this school is about training your 'musical ear' to become educated. We show you how to hear the possibilities in melody, harmony, rhythm, form/structure, style, and orchestration and how they ultimately connect to create an 'educated ear'. These principles are referred to as the 'six ears' and they correspond to the six fundamental levels we hear music from, which allows us to proceed your musical development by narrowing things down into these six focuses from this efficient perspective.

I'm going to send you a PM so we can talk further about the curriculum and set up a good time to get you on a phone or skype call to talk.

Talk soon,
    -M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco

To the original poster and Jason:

You should check out Howard Rees' Workshop just off the end of the QEW in Toronto; 40 minutes max from Mississauga a bit farther from Markham.

It is Bebop group lessons based on Barry Harris' teaching and the harmony lessons would be great for your ear training Jason.

It is not guitar specific but a simple elegant method of study. There are vocal groups and it is a great community of fine players.

If you are unaware of Barry Harris, check him out.

Here is a link to Howard's site.

Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarguitar
    I'm 32, but I need to get better, working on my own music which has some...'jazzy' elements and chords (I can attach a sample of something I'm working on if necessary). Have very little understanding of theory, mainly self taught by transcribing, but haven't transcribed much jazz (just a bit of Grant Green), which is my next step.

Looking for a teacher/mentor to guide and help up my playing.

Any recommendations? I'm not too well connected in GTA.
    If you also know of any good vocal teachers too, that would be great...

Thanks!
    I am a Jazz guitar teacher.
    I live in Etobicoke.
    I have taught many students from all around the world via Skype.
    I graduated from York University’s Jazz program in 1992.
    PM me if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk