User Info Menu

Hi,
    I’m looking for someone to take a few jazz guitar lessons with in San Francisco CA or maybe other parts of the Bay Area. Happy to come to you. I usually play or teach piano in the evenings so most of my availability is in the mornings and afternoons. Looking for a teacher who has significant experience teaching jazz. I’ve taken some lessons with some good players and not all of them can teach well. Thank you for any help!
    Julian

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with Jeff Massanari in Oakland.

User Info Menu

This is not an endorsement, but I think both of these chaps have been playing jazz and teaching for a long time:

Barry Solomon (in Alameda) Services
    Mike Wollenberg (in Canyon, CA) Mike Wollenberg, guitarist

User Info Menu

I don't know if Jack Riordan teaches but I believe he's based in the city and he f**ing rips. In the east bay, I think Jeff is a very good teacher and great player. If you're into monk (which looks like you are), holler at John Schott.

Thank you guys! I checked out everybody and have a lot of people to call now. I know Jack a little bit, and man he does rip! Took a lesson yesterday from Bob Brumbeloe and found it really helpful. I’d like to check out a few of these others as well, so many killer layers thank you guys for the help!

User Info Menu

If you want insight into jazz styles of the 30s and 40s, I also recommend you check out Nick Rossi in the Mission. He’s a great player and also a scholar. Studying with him is a serious education.