Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I am looking for a teacher in the LA area (the San Fernando Valley would be even better) that has a good foundation of old school jazz but is also aware of new trends.

Thanks for all your help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Graham Dechter--I can't recommend him enough, BUT he recently moved outta LA.

Glad I did too... yikes!

Sid Jacobs is great, but once you get him going with Jimmy Wyble--there's no turning back.

Ron Eschete is great for old school--he's worth getting a lesson just to hear his stories (as well as here what he does with chord melody)

I bugged Larry Koonse for almost a year, and was only able to get one lesson from him.

Adam Levy still teaches in Pasedena, I think--I never hooked up with him.

LA has a ton of jazz musicians to study with--but that wasn't enough to keep me there.

User Info Menu

Similar experience with Sid, but I was excited by the topic at the time. I would have kept going, except I was having a lot of neck and back pain. He was however an extremely generous teacher and very excited about continuing to explore the guitar.

Larry Koonse is one of my favorite players, but I never had the nerve to ask for lessons. I’ve seen that he works at Cal Arts. Is he just too busy with that to take on outside students?

Regarding the OP......I took lessons with Mike Higgins last semester at the community college. I enjoyed studying with him, but I think he’s based near Long Beach. He however does a lot of gigging, so maybe he’s out in the valley sometimes. He’s pretty busy, but maybe he has more time now that schools are on break. He definitely has an old school foundation, as he studied with Joe Pass. But he is also very interested in modern harmonies.

Also regarding the OP......I think that Bruce Forman is based out of So Cal, as he teaches at USC. He’s another player I would love to approach for lessons, but don’t have the guts. But he is phenomenal!

Check out Bruce Forman, Doug MacDonald, John Storie and Will Brahm.

PK

User Info Menu

I chickened out as well.

The path to Bruce Foreman is through Ron Eschete, by the way--they are really good friends.

Take a couple of lessons with Ron as well--he's in the ranks with John Pisano--walking history books.

If you can, hell, go to Viva Rancho Cantina on Tuesdays (?) to watch John Pisano play.

I'll be frank, the food their SUCKS--but it's worth it to see John Pisano play his butt off with a new guest every week. If you can score some lessons with Pisano--yeoooww.

Like I said--great players are a plenty in LA.

But, so is traffic, desert (I like the desert with two "s's"), the same season 24/7 365 (which is great for a lot of people--but not for me), and besides the musicians I met and the people I worked with--I didn't vibe with the people there--oh, yeah--it's really expensive (even the valley).

Whew... sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I'm originally from NYC, and I wouldn't live there either (sorry folks, rent's too damn high)

So wring out all the music you can from LA.

Oh, and Sid is SUCH a chill guy--and he can PLAY. You like jazz, he's got the jazz. You like Beatles, he's got the hippest Beatles arrangements. You like classical... you get the point. He's hip, he's a good teacher, and he'll offer you fresh brewed coffee every lesson--class act!

User Info Menu

Sorry LA was such a drag, but I understand.....especially about the weather. You missed out this year however. It rained for months.

User Info Menu

SR, I just moved in the last month.

Most of California is desert or farmland and desert.

Until you hit Northern Cali--that, I will admit, is quite beautiful.

User Info Menu

Just tell Koonse that you have a Borys, and you'll be in like flint. When you get there, make up some excuse why you couldn't bring it.

I think Peter Sprague is in San Diego. That's 120 miles south, but he'd be perfect.

User Info Menu

Peter Sprague is teaching on Open Studio. I want to play his double neck!

By the way, Larry Koonse still has my clip on guitar tuner. I left it at his place and never picked it up. I thought I might, but I think this is my new claim to fame

User Info Menu

Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots |

Although his website says "Blues and Roots" He's a great student of early players like
    George Barnes, Teddy Bunn, Grady Martin, Junior Barnard, Les Paul, and Robert Lockwood
    Barry Grzebik - Grez Guitars
    www.grezguitars.com

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if Jacques Lesure is teaching, but, he's the real deal. He plays most every Tuesday at the Parker Room sorta near Hollywood, and last time I was there he had Eric Revis on bass and a killing band.

I took a lesson with Jacques almost 20 years ago when he was in Raleigh, NC playing with Elmer Gibson, and I still remember some of the things he showed me. He is a real deal, old school musician of the highest caliber.

User Info Menu

Damn, I missed out on Jacques Lesure. I definitely would have sought him out if I knew about him when I was in LA. Like I said, there's ton of great musicians in LA. I just didn't want to live their anymore. PC, I hope you've got a nice brownstone in Brooklyn to your name--things in NYC ain't getting any cheaper as well. I do miss the food...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut View Post
    Check out Bruce Forman, Doug MacDonald, John Storie and Will Brahm.

PK
    Doug MacDonald is down here in the desert now. Palm Springs,,i have taken alot of lesson from Doug, really good! really nice guy too!

Id like to take a lesson from Larry Koonse as well..oh Mike Higgins too, hes a great player.

I took a few lessons at MI with Sid in the 90's, great player..his book is good too, reminds me i should break that out again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4 View Post
    Doug MacDonald is down here in the desert now. Palm Springs,,i have taken alot of lesson from Doug, really good! really nice guy too!

Id like to take a lesson from Larry Koonse as well..oh Mike Higgins too, hes a great player.

I took a few lessons at MI with Sid in the 90's, great player..his book is good too, reminds me i should break that out again.
    I'm going to Palm Spring this weekend; I'll have to find time to see Doug. I have known him for over 30 years. Yea, nice guy and a great player.

User Info Menu

Some great suggestions (I used to live in So Cal, so I know most of these names!), although I'd like to hear back from the OP on what "contemporary jazz" and "new trends" mean??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    SR, I just moved in the last month.

Most of California is desert or farmland and desert.

Until you hit Northern Cali--that, I will admit, is quite beautiful.

Yes of course, but then it's that desert air mixing with the cold sea breeze that form the perfect climate elixir. Laguna Beach for evah!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Yes of course, but then it's that desert air mixing with the cold sea breeze that form the perfect climate elixir. Laguna Beach for evah!
    [I'm a Seal Beach native!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Lawdy, Lawdy that’s some expensive land. Might as well just stay in NYC!