Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Jailhouse Blues - The Sun Magazine

I've been doing this for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Intelligent and insightful - an all-round well-done and beautiful interview on a fraught context. Thanks for sharing! (The quotation derives from Terence, by the way ...)

User Info Menu

Thank you! I've found the source of the quote several times, but since I never read old Greek, or Roman poetry, plays, it never sticks!

User Info Menu

Just beautiful. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Great interview. Keep up the good work!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Henry, that was an amazing article! Your life story needs to be shared with the world. If you ever decided to write a book, I'd be honored to purchase the first copy.

Oh, and I need guitar lessons too, but ain't going to prison to get them.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Henry. An excellent interview.

User Info Menu

A great interview Henry. I feel that I got to know you better. Thanks. Prison reform needs to be on the top of every politician's agenda.

User Info Menu

You're a good man Henry for being there for the incarcerated.
    Last edited by docbop; 09-19-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Wow! Great work and really thoughtful observations, Henry.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive feedback. It means a lot.

User Info Menu

Good work Henry.

"The Sun" is an excellent literary magazine and well worth the cost of subscription.

User Info Menu

Amazing interview - thanks for posting

User Info Menu

It's a noble undertaking to say the least Henry.

User Info Menu

I played a gig in Sing Sing prison one time. It was set up by an agency that performed services
    for prisoners around job training,help keeping families together, education, etc. The liaison was
    an amazing gospel singer/ex prisoner who was highly dedicated to being a humanizing supportive
    force for his brothers still serving time and for their re-entry back on the outside.

We rehearsed one day with a prison "house band" to work up a few collective numbers.
    The hour long security check was a bit unnerving, being patted down, taking our wire bags etc.
    apart to scrutinize every item being brought in. To say that music was important in the lives of
    these incarcerated instrumentalists would be a huge understatement. It was a central link to their
    humanity, maintaining a positive focus and keeping sane. Our rehearsal was interrupted by a line
    up call.

The following week, the audience energy was off the charts. We played well but that aside there
    was another element at play here. My guess, it having something to do with the stark contrast to
    much of their daily existence behind bars. The gospel singer joined us on our closing song about
    strength in unity, and completely tore the house down improvising lyrics and melodies on an
    extended vamp, in that gospel way that can make a believer out of even an agnostic like myself.

For me, a memorable and informative one off experience.
    They are very lucky to have you as a guitar instructor, both for the strong musical skills that you
    bring but as well as for your attitude. Thanks for sharing the interview.

User Info Menu

Thank Bako. Playing on the yard has various levels of success. I've played where the auditorium (church mostly) is packed and they're very engaged and appreciative. Other times, mostly when it's actually on the YARD, it's really miss more than hit. Guys are playing chess, checkers, basketball, football, backgammon or talking like they always do, with only about 15-20 guys gathered listening to the music. Funny. Having someone perform whose either a fellow inmate or who is known to them personally makes a huge difference, I've found.

User Info Menu

Very cool! A very well done piece.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako View Post
    They are very lucky to have you as a guitar instructor, both for the strong musical skills that you
    bring but as well as for your attitude. Thanks for sharing the interview.
    Hear, hear!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing that Henry - a great read, and very moving in parts, that's really good work you're doing there.
    Spiderman needs no fancy suit or gadgets plus he's a jazz guitar fan

User Info Menu

Terrific article, Henry. Thanks for sharing that. Of course, I hear about your teaching efforts directly from one of your students, who also happens to be one of my clients. (Your letter to the judge regarding his resentencing was included in the appellate record in his case, so I asked him how he knew you. I suspect he's also mentioned me to you.)

Keep up the good work, and say hi to Larry G. for me when you see him next!
    Jeff

User Info Menu

Oh my. I can think of two people. But one who is a legal eagle in Sac. Must be him. I'm no longer there so I don't see him any more. Small frigging world.

User Info Menu

Yup, that's our guy. Knows almost as much criminal law as I do, though I had to spend three years in law school and 30 years in the courts to get there! Sorry he doesn't get to hang out with you any more; I wasn't aware you weren't at CSP Sacto any more.

I communicate with him regularly, so I'll mention our communication here, and will print out your interview article to send him. I get to send stuff via "legal mail," so avoid the prison mail room censors.

Best regards.
    Jeff

User Info Menu

Yes. That would be fantastic. I miss him.

User Info Menu

He'll be pleased to hear that. I'll make sure to let him know, and will send along the article in the next day or two.
    Jeff

User Info Menu

Sun Magazine article about me teaching in prisons.-prism-jpg

User Info Menu

That’s some great work you do. My hat goes off to you.

User Info Menu

Hi Henry, that was a fantastic read and as a (high school Science ) teacher gave me a lot to think about. Thanks.

Hopefully you can play in the UK sometime - let us all know if and when, cheers, Simon

User Info Menu

Thank you very much! I lived in the UK as a child. It's been some years since I've been back, but I do intend to do so, and do some playing as well!

User Info Menu

Great that you're doing this. If there's a population in the world that needs music...

I'd like to support you. How do I purchase a CD?

User Info Menu

Just read through it. You are a good man, Henry. Your concern for these men and understanding of how they got there comes through loud and clear. There's a reason they stay in touch when and if they get out. You make the world a better place...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Great that you're doing this. If there's a population in the world that needs music...

I'd like to support you. How do I purchase a CD?
    Wow. Thank you very much! That would be very much appreciated. The easiest thing is my store. Or iTunes/Amazon. But if you want a hard copy actual physical CD, my store. Store | Henry Robinett

User Info Menu

You're my new hero!

Hope you don't mind that I put a link to the article on FB. The world needs to know about people like you---and the unspeakable treatment of the men 'inside'---who mostly just lost their footing and fell...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    You're my new hero!

Hope you don't mind that I put a link to the article on FB. The world needs to know about people like you---and the unspeakable treatment of the men 'inside'---who mostly just lost their footing and fell...
    Thank you very much. You put it well.

User Info Menu

No, YOU put it well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    Jailhouse Blues - The Sun Magazine

I've been doing this for awhile.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing this.

John