Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

To do my part to bring unity back to our (my) country, I'm running a yuuuuuuuuuuuge offer on my Skype lessons! I'm offering both my half hour and hour sessions at 50% off! Pay just $20 for a Skype lesson with a professional NYC jazz guitarist with university teaching experience, a masters degree, and years of teaching, composing, recording, performing, and touring experience. And if that still has you feeling like an undecided voter... check this out...

YOU CAN PRE-PURCHASE AS MANY LESSONS AS YOU WANT BETWEEN NOW AND INAUGURATION DAY (JANUARY 20, 2017), AND YOU CAN USE THEM ALL THE WAY THROUGH PRESIDENT ELECT TRUMP'S FIRST TERM IN OFFICE (JANUARY 20, 2021). EVEN IF HE GETS IMPEACHED! THAT'S RIGHT... PRE-PURCHASE AS MANY LESSONS AS YOU WANT AND GET 50% OFF YOUR QUALITY MUSIC EDUCATION FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS! IF THAT'S NOT THE ART OF THE DEAL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

Let's make music great again!
    Massive Deal on Skype Lessons-election-sale-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jumping at this chance - I'll PM tonight!

User Info Menu

PM sent.

User Info Menu

Don't you people take up all the time slots on me. I am at a disadvantage as I gotta do the maths on the time zone differences.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    Don't you people take up all the time slots on me. I am at a disadvantage as I gotta do the maths on the time zone differences.
    We gotchu... we gotchu.

User Info Menu

Your post made me laugh Jordan, which is a very good (as well as rare) thing in these bleak times.
    I think I'll jump at this great opportunity. What's your time zone?

What's up Eb. Glad to make you laugh... dark times call for more laughter.

I live in NY. So east coast time in the US. I'm happy to help figure out time zone differences. Shoot me a private message and let me know what you're thinking (lesson length, day/time, etc). Looking forward to connecting and seeing what we can work on together!

User Info Menu

I'm in. I'll PM later.
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

User Info Menu

I'm glad you're feeling better, Jordan.

Thanks a bunch Jason. Not perfect yet. Maybe in a year or two... or never. But pretty darn close to it considering, and thankful for that!

Hope all's well with you too!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm adding in another little something special to celebrate the holiday.

On top of the 50% off all Skype sessions, I'm also throwing in a referral discount. If you know anyone that wants to take their playing to the next level, and you tell them about me... when they sign up, you get a $10 credit to put towards your own Skype lessons. So not only will they (and you) receive the 50% off discount, but you'll also get $10 credit for each referral... no limits here on the number. Got 10 friends you like to hang with who want to step their playing up, tell them to hit me up and mention your name... and when they sign up, you'll get $100 (10 x 10) credit to put towards your own sessions.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you guys have a great holiday! I'm off to visit my brother for the week... probably won't be around much until I get back home.
    Happy Practicing
    j

User Info Menu

I had my lesson and it was fantastic! What a top bloke and an excellent teacher.

Immediate improvement what else could you want. Highly recommended.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Let me jump in, Jordan is a great, great teacher. One of the most respectful persons I have ever "met". I highly recommend his lessons!

Thanks fellas. Love working with both of you guys! Very fun digging into the music with you both. Appreciate the kind words.

One of my longer running students just told me this during our lesson today...

(He's older than me and has been playing and teaching at least as long as I have if not longer. I did a couple of gigs with him in the past before moving to NYC. Paraphrasing him...)

Having spent the last couple of months working with me, he said that now he looks back on all the many years of playing, practicing, teaching lessons, and studying with other teachers and realized that he was always trying to force himself onto every piece of music. He had studied his theory, knew his scales, could play his arpeggios... and then he took his bag of tricks that he knew and forced them upon each song. It was how he practiced, played, taught his students, and had been taught by others. He said this was the first time in his life where he realized he could put down his bag of tricks and tools, stop forcing what he wanted into every situation, and simply ask the piece of music what IT wanted... to work WITH the tune to find what would really bring out the unique elements of the music, and what he could do to make the music more conversational between him and the song, rather than just another opportunity to force HIS will and HIS bag of tricks into yet another song.

Makes for a fulfilling day...

User Info Menu

I always ask the tunes which trick from my bag they want me to use.
    They realize only too late there is only one trick.

(Any resemblance between tunes and ... is pure coincidence.
    Fact is they all end up @&$?ed)

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    I always ask the tunes which trick from my bag they want me to use.
    They realize only too late there is only one trick.

(Any resemblance between tunes and ... is pure coincidence.
    Fact is they all end up @&$?ed)

Sorry Vladan, not sure if I followed this. I couldn't tell if this was sarcasm or if you were making a serious point... and what that point was. Just another casualty of internet, typed-out, communication I suppose.

User Info Menu

It was just a somewhat sarcastic turn on a serious matter of "You can't escape from yourself" philosophy, with implied Bimbo joke for a spice, with some profanity, too.

^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    It was just a somewhat sarcastic turn on a serious matter of "You can't escape from yourself" philosophy, with implied Bimbo joke for a spice, with some profanity, too.
    Ah, ok, thanks for the clarity.

I suppose I'd say I both agree and disagree simultaneously.

You bring up philosophy. We can never escape our own philosophical/existential view of life, reality, and ourselves. But we CAN grow, expand, and alter it. We can choose to live within our own small philosophical bubble, influenced by no one else, and always with our guard up against other philosophies... or we can choose to let down our guard, drop our defenses, and study the philosophy of Descartes, Socrates, Kant, or any other thinker with an open mind interested only in learning where they are coming from. This will never help us escape our own reality, nor are we required to give up who we are or what we believe... but it does bring in a new light that requires us to think and dig even deeper into our own philosophy. While there's no escape from ourselves, we can deepen and expand what that means.

Same can be said of our personality and relationships. We can never escape our self. But we can drop our guard and seek to momentarily stop caring enough to form a platonic relationship with friends, or to fall in love with another. It may feel like we have lost ourselves, but again, that's not possible. But it certainly can lead one to become a deeper, more well rounded person with the ability to connect and relate with more people in deeper ways. I am always myself, but I don't act the exact same way with every person because I choose not to. I have spoken with people on their deathbeds and I have spoken with 4 year olds... and while I am being myself in each situation, and bringing my same sense of light and personality... the conversation may be drastically different. Not because I've succumbed to the inevitability of being stuck as "not able to escape myself"... but precisely because I am no longer interested in escaping myself but only in giving that person the gift of my awareness and presence... whatever that may mean in any given moment.

To me, the best musicians do that with the tunes they play. Monk will ALWAYS sound like Monk. Miles like Miles. Rosenwinkel like Rosenwinkel. But when they play a tune, it is clear in my ears that they are not attempting to sound like themselves. They all are clearly paying respect to what the tune offers. It becomes a conversation between what they bring to the table and what the tune brings to the table.

User Info Menu

Agreed.

^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

I'm posting to say a big THANK YOU for an outstanding first lesson today, Jordan!

Thanks Mike. Was great to finally catch up with you and work on some music together! Glad you got something out of it.

Just a quick heads up that there's a little under 2 weeks now to take advantage of the special offer. The lessons can be used for another 4 years, so there's plenty of time to squeeze them in... but the 50% off discount is only good until January 20th, a week from this Friday.