Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi, I'm an adult novice looking for a teacher in central London (Camden/Hampstead area) to help me define a learning roadmap and get me started on some jazz standards. Please get in touch, thanks.
    Last edited by Gnashville; 10-06-2015 at 01:16 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Gnashville,

THE guy to go to in London is Mike Outram. I had a couple of lessons from him when I was starting out a few years ago. He's the guy that his fellow pros go to for lessons!
    Jazz Guitar Lessons London with Mike Outram, tuition, funk, fusion, improvisation, harmony, theory

You should sign up at the London Jazz Guitar Society (which I happen to be the chair of) at London Jazz Guitar Society (London, England) - Meetup - we had a workshop with Mike just a couple of weeks ago. Our next workshop is with the great Sheryl Bailey on the 25th.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Does Jamie Taylor live in London? He is a nasty smooth player. Listen to this:

User Info Menu

Jamie's great but based up in Sheffield.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Well, tell him to move fer chrissakes. Are there as many jazz clubs in Sheffield? Guy's too smart and too good not to share all his got. Also, he is a down to earth kinda bloke. I'd study with him, if I were over there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Hi Gnashville,

THE guy to go to in London is Mike Outram. I had a couple of lessons from him when I was starting out a few years ago. He's the guy that his fellow pros go to for lessons!
    Jazz Guitar Lessons London with Mike Outram, tuition, funk, fusion, improvisation, harmony, theory

You should sign up at the London Jazz Guitar Society (which I happen to be the chair of) at London Jazz Guitar Society (London, England) - Meetup - we had a workshop with Mike just a couple of weeks ago. Our next workshop is with the great Sheryl Bailey on the 25th.
    Thanks David, I'll check Mike out and sign up for the LJGS.

User Info Menu

Hey, don't be stealing our New York City players from us! Grrr. Now we gotta fight. Cue the Rocky music

That's awesome that you guys have a jazz guitar society out there. Over here, we got the "I can play faster than you and my ____ is longer than yours" society in most of our jam sessions. Not all. I love the one in Flushin Town Hall
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-12-2015 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Hi Gnashville,

+1 to that.

Dave Cliff is also teaching in London. He is based in Dulwich. If you don't know him, you should check him out. I have studied a bit with with Dave, he's a legend, very experienced jazz educator as well as a acknowledged master.

Loads of jazz guitar teachers in London, I mean where do you start? You could PM me, I certainly know some jazz guitar teachers close to where you are.
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-12-2015 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Well, tell him to move fer chrissakes. Are there as many jazz clubs in Sheffield? Guy's too smart and too good not to share all his got. Also, he is a down to earth kinda bloke. I'd study with him, if I were over there
    Mike walker is still living up northern taught me, and Mike Outram, check this:

5:10 for a solo that is mind blowing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    Mike walker is still living up northern taught me, and Mike Outram...
    5:10 for a solo that is mind blowing
    interesting...reminds me of early holdsworth and the late great ollie halsall..that smooth horn like legato.. not with the later super overdriven generic tone used by others

nice

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    interesting...reminds me of early holdsworth and the late great ollie halsall..that smooth horn like legato.. not with the later super overdriven generic tone used by others

nice

cheers
    Yeah mike is killer, check out his website, mike-walker.co.uk he has online teaching

Also his stuff with the impossible gentlemen (Steve swallow Adam Nussbaum)