Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi!

I am a new member of this site, so i apologize if i have put this thread in the wrong forum. You will see a lot of me, so better correct me while you can!

So my question is basically the title of the thread. I finished high school a year ago and i want to get into college for music, sadly when i applied last year i was not skilled enough to get selected out of all the guitar players that auditioned. So now that i am working and making some money, i really need a teacher in order to get help and get accepted in next year or some year after. There are no jazz teachers in a three hour radius of my hometown, so i was thinking i'd get lessons over skype or something.

Have anyone had any experience studying with some good jazz teachers online? Or know of any good players that do online private lessons? I really need a mentor to guide me through this world, when it comes to everything from technique, tunes, improvisation and more.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    Sickz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to the site.

Which players do you like?? Many of the great players offer online ("skype") private lessons, and there are several players/teachers with online "schools." You can almost take your pick (depending on your budget). Private lessons can be $80 USD or more per hour/90 minutes, and the schools (with video lessons and maybe personal feedback) are $30 USD/month for unlimited access to materials. I'd say it depends on your current skills and your needs.

Enjoy!

Marc

User Info Menu

Hi Marc!

I love many players and styles of jazz, but to narrow it down i would say i am mainly inspired by bebop players, regardless of instrument. My taste goes from masters like Joe Pass, George Van Eps, Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis and Jimmy Raney to more modern players like Andreas Öberg, Erik Söderlind, Jonathan Kreisberg, Julian Lage and Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Skill might be hard to convey through text i feel, but my needs is a mainly a teacher who can help me with the following: (In no particular order)

1. Technique Development.
    2. Improvisational Concepts.
    3. Chord Melody Playing.
    4. Making the most out of my transcriptions.
    5. Things i don't know yet that i need.

It might be good for me to say that i come from the school of thinking that transcription is prio number 1 when it comes to jazz in order to develop ears, playing and improvisational skill. I was taught this by my previous teacher that i studied with for two years with up to last year, when he moved and started studying elsewhere. So lessons from him is sadly not an option anymore.

Back to the teachers though. I've seen that players like Jimmy Bruno teach over skype, and that Andreas Öberg has a guitar site that allows you to get feedback from him and take part of instructional material. I mainly put up the thread because i wanted to see if anyone had taken any lessons from someone online they could recommend. Even though my income is good and i am not afraid to put out 100$/hour lesson since i have saved up a bit, i'd still like to know who some good teachers are and how people have experienced studying with them. I don't feel like through money onto different people and have to search through them all before i find one that works.

Once again, thanks for your reply!

Cheers,
    Sickz

User Info Menu

Here's one of Jimmy Bruno's students:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post

I think you just convinced me with that post alone. I might just have to send Jimmy an e-mail later today and ask about the possibilities of taking lessons from him.

User Info Menu

Thought you'd say that....for $60 per quarter why not give it a try?

Be prepared to adopt Jimmy's five fingerings, but given your skill you should quickly move forward.

He also offers private lessons.

https://jbguitarworkshop.com

Bill

User Info Menu

Yeah, i figure i will try out the jbguitarworkshop first to get a sense of his teaching. My intent was one on one lessons though, which is why i will probably go for the skype lessons he provides if i enjoy his teaching.

Thanks for the assistance Bill, it's very appreciated!

Sickz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sickz View Post
    Yeah, i figure i will try out the jbguitarworkshop first to get a sense of his teaching. My intent was one on one lessons though, which is why i will probably go for the skype lessons he provides if i enjoy his teaching.

Thanks for the assistance Bill, it's very appreciated!

Sickz
    I did Jimmy's original online school years ago, and had the opportunity to work with him in person during one of his West Coast visits with some students (what a blast!). He's a very good teacher, and can pretty quickly identify what skills a student needs to focus on.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Well, in fairness, I'm sure Ozeias was already a highly accomplished player before he started with Jimmy. Only he knows how much he has learned from studying with Jimmy.

There are two ways to look at whether to study one-on-one with him or through the online workshop (JBGW). I prefer the JBGW because, if I were to take an hour lesson with him, he would identify my weaknesses immediately, take 2 minutes to describe and show me what I need to work on next, and I really wouldn't be ready to absorb anything more until I'd gone away and worked on that. So I figure the next 56 minutes would be a waste of my money (most likely with me practicing in front of the teacher, which is good for a few minutes to make sure you're on the right track before you go home to woodshed). But, basically, I don't need an hour with Jimmy Bruno. I need the right five minutes, when I'm ready for them, and not sooner. And that's exactly what the JBGW gives you, for about a dollar a day. Having said that, I think it would be ideal to do JBGW and then, every month or two, to have a personal lesson with him, just to see what comes of it. Could be the ideal combination.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco View Post
    Well, in fairness, I'm sure Ozeias was already a highly accomplished player before he started with Jimmy. Only he knows how much he has learned from studying with Jimmy.

There are two ways to look at whether to study one-on-one with him or through the online workshop (JBGW). I prefer the JBGW because, if I were to take an hour lesson with him, he would identify my weaknesses immediately, take 2 minutes to describe and show me what I need to work on next, and I really wouldn't be ready to absorb anything more until I'd gone away and worked on that. So I figure the next 56 minutes would be a waste of my money (most likely with me practicing in front of the teacher, which is good for a few minutes to make sure you're on the right track before you go home to woodshed). But, basically, I don't need an hour with Jimmy Bruno. I need the right five minutes, when I'm ready for them, and not sooner. And that's exactly what the JBGW gives you, for about a dollar a day. Having said that, I think it would be ideal to do JBGW and then, every month or two, to have a personal lesson with him, just to see what comes of it. Could be the ideal combination.

That sounds like a good idea, you are probably right about the private lessons being a waste of time at the start, since he would be able to point out so many things i need to work on and then i we would end up having so much time left we wouldn't know what to do with it.

I'm going to take your advice, as soon as my salary arrives in a couple of days i will sign up for his workshop. Then i will start taking a private lesson with him at the end of every month to review what i have practiced and get advice on further studies.

User Info Menu

I recommend the TrueFire Sherpa program especially Sheryl Bailey, but there are other excellent teachers like JazzGuitarBE's own Harvey Valdes. Besides the personal teacher you get access to the whole Truefire site.

Sheryl Bailey is a very experienced teacher being she teaches at Berklee and New School so shes know very well what college programs are looking for and teach.

https://truefire.com/classrooms/dire...lassrooms.html
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco View Post

Agree, Ozeias probably has had great skills for years.

But he obviously feels he can continue to grow with Jimmy, even from this point in his journey.

User Info Menu

Thought you'd say that....for $60 per quarter why not give it a try?

Be prepared to adopt Jimmy's five fingerings, but given your skill you should quickly move forward.

He also offers private lessons.

https://jbguitarworkshop.com

Bill
    Bill I'm curious about whether you are paid or otherwise recompensed to promote the JB online lessons. A good fraction of your posts on this NG are
    telling new participants to sign up or otherwise offering testimonial to the JB online stuff. Maybe his approach is perfect for you, but his approach and style doesn't work for everybody. Hearing how Sickz plays and reading what he wrote makes me think he might be better off taking lessons from a different kind of player.

Sickz, FWIW, a lot of heavy players give Skype lessons, you can search this forum for other suggestions. My guess is that other than the superstars, most of the others would be happy to give online lessons, especially if you are willing to spend 100$ per hour.

User Info Menu

Duplicate post.

User Info Menu

Randy Vincent gives lessons via Skype (Randy Vincent | Jazz Guitarist). Randy was Julian Lage's teacher from the time Julian was a young kid until he left for college in the east. Remarkable player and, obviously, an excellent teacher. Randy has written several books, too, which seem very well-received by members of this forum.

User Info Menu

No, not paid or otherwise compensated in any way. It's just that JB's approach works for me and many others, as you see in other posts above.

When I read on this site all the tangled up thinking and frustration from many, I firmly believe that JB's teaching cuts through much of this, and just want to help.

User Info Menu

By the way, Paul, nice playing on Time After Time:

SoundClick artist: Paul Kirk - page with MP3 music downloads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post

Sickz, FWIW, a lot of heavy players give Skype lessons, you can search this forum for other suggestions. My guess is that other than the superstars, most of the others would be happy to give online lessons, especially if you are willing to spend 100$ per hour.
    Yeah, i guess the problem i am having right now is finding the right teacher for me. As you said, different teachers suit different people, and i am not sure how to decide who to go for. It's kind of daunting being overwhelmed by choice, and you want to make the right call. But i guess i should see it from the bright side, i have lots of options, always a good thing!

Do you have an idea where you plan to go to college? That might help you narrow your choice. For example, if your hope is to get in to Berklee, it might make more sense to sign up with Sheryl Bailey. Also, you could check out what the course requirements are for the degree you're after. A lot of jazz programs want you to have a basic proficiency in piano and solfege(sight-singing). It might be easier to find a local teacher where you are to help you get those skills together.

Finally, if you're considering making a career out of jazz, at some point you will need to trust yourself to be your own teacher. Don't let your old teacher moving away slow you down. Give some serious thought to why you didn't pass the audition, and what you need to work on for next time, and proceed from there. Best wishes for your music!

PK
    Welcome to PaulKogut.com
    http://youtube.com/paulkogutmusic

User Info Menu

Thanks Bill for the compliment.

I agree with your comment that much tangled up thinking is displayed in this forum. I am a firm believer that the process of becoming better is one of *simplifying*, not complicating: in that the more you learn the more the big picture simplifies. I know Bruno works hard on his teaching approach. But speaking for myself, as a dedicated jazzer but seriously limited in the talent department (as that clip shows) I've never connected with anything described in his method. It's not that I don't know the or haven't worked on the topics (fingerings, hearing how every note sounds agains various harmonies etc), but rather that I think they distract by offering the beginner easily explained stuff that avoids the real essence of jazz. None of the greats learned this way, they learned from the music: stuff like scales/fingerings/note choice etc comes as a byproduct, and by focusing on it one tends to forget time/rhythm/phrasing, which is much more important than note choice, at least how I hear things.

User Info Menu

It's all so important; so many notes, so little time (sigh).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut View Post
    Do you have an idea where you plan to go to college? That might help you narrow your choice. For example, if your hope is to get in to Berklee, it might make more sense to sign up with Sheryl Bailey. Also, you could check out what the course requirements are for the degree you're after. A lot of jazz programs want you to have a basic proficiency in piano and solfege(sight-singing). It might be easier to find a local teacher where you are to help you get those skills together.

Finally, if you're considering making a career out of jazz, at some point you will need to trust yourself to be your own teacher. Don't let your old teacher moving away slow you down. Give some serious thought to why you didn't pass the audition, and what you need to work on for next time, and proceed from there. Best wishes for your music!

PK
    Welcome to PaulKogut.com
    http://youtube.com/paulkogutmusic
    I am planning on going to college here in Sweden, atleast as it stands now. I have already prepared greatly in the financial part of going to college, since i have been working for a couple of years (even when in high school) and put away some money for college funds, if i can avoid taking big student loans that is my plan. (Have saved up about 12000 dollars as of now, and will be getting another 8000 over the spring/summer working)

I practice piano on a daily basis already, although i am relatively new to it i am getting better and starting to learn some simpler arrangement to jazz tunes on piano. Solfeges is not my strong suit, i do however sing all lines/melodies/basslines etc i transcribe through all twelve keys. Sadly the local teacher part won't work, that is the reason i am asking for teachers online. I have thoroughly searched the area within a 3 hour drive radius from where i live for teachers, the only ones teaching are for beginners of pop/rock guitar and metal guitar. I am however auditioning for a couple of music schools around the country, that is our equivalent to pre-College for musicians. (Those that don't get accepted to college can audition here, and if they get in the school helps them work on their playing in order to get accepted to college. They provide private lessons, ensembles, theory, ear training, composition etc. Competition to get in is tough though, so we'll see if i get in)

I have taught myself for a year now though, as said, i finished high school last year. I have been heavily transcribing to get the language down (because that was one of the things the judges at the college auditions said i needed to work on) and working on my technique and ear. I am much better than i was one year ago, but i feel that it is good to have a professional to be there and guide you through some things. I am still relatively young (20) and am hoping to make a career somehow through music (be it jazz or not), so i need the equivalent of a personal trainer just to point out things i am not good enough to see for myself yet. Of course i could continue down the path of what i am already doing, and i would probably get better and better. But having a teacher would accelerate the process.

Thanks for your response, all help is appreciated!

Sickz

User Info Menu

Yeah, honestly, judging a teacher by one of his students isn't the best thing. Unless a guy continuously puts out students of a high caliber, like for example Charlie Banacos, you can't really say much of a teacher from one student you know little about.

The best thing would be to take one-off lessons with guys you like. Out of the guitarists you mentioned, I know Jonathan and Julian both do Skype lessons. I don't know much about their teaching so I can't tell you if they're good or not, but you can send them an email and set one lesson up and see how you like it.

However, I'm always an advocate for face to face over Skype. Now I don't know much about the scene in Sweden, but there has to be a few cats that can play. Maybe you'd also consider seeing if there's anyone that really knows a lot that you might want to start seeing in person. There's nothing like getting the actual chance to play with your teacher, not for your teacher.

User Info Menu

Sickz

If you are planning to study in Stockholm at Kungliga Musikhögskolan (Royal College of Music), and you live in Varberg, I would question your premise that there are no teachers within 3 hrs drive of you. You live in a suburb of Stockholm (unless ther is in fact another Varberg that I am unaware of, at which I apologise and discount the reaminder of my post) and should take you 15 minutes to ride to the center of town. There are a good number of graduates of the College that stay in town and make a living as musicians and who suppliment their income with teaching. They are well aware of the kind of skills and proficiencies that the college looks for as they are products of the college system themselves. Erik Söderlind, who you mentioned, is an example, and while I dont know about lessons with him, he does play locally at Glen Miller.

Having said that, let me say that I do in no way criticize the advice you have recieved above. Quit the contrary, I have taken a few lessons here in Stockholm and since have been a member of Jimmy Brunos school. I endorce it warmly, it has helped me understand playing the fretboard, as well as understanding jazz music, neither of which I had any understanding of at all previously. As many above have pointed out getting a teacher who "talks" to you is very important and very individual. Ther are many. I wish yu luck in your endevore. Best, 0zoro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro View Post
    Sickz

(unless ther is in fact another Varberg that I am unaware of, at which I apologise and discount the reaminder of my post)
    This is another Varberg 0zoro. I live on the westcoast, it would take take roughly a five hour drive for me to get to Stockholm. There are one guy around within a 1-2 hour drive radius from me that teaches jazzguitar that i know is really good, but he is too expensive for me to study with. (He charges 400-500$ per lesson, which is something i can't afford at the moment) I have been checking in with teachers at the college for music in Gothenburg, but from the responses i've gotten so far many of them are full of students already, since they teach at the college, at these private music schools i mentioned, and on top of that doing private lessons. I will continue to ask around with the teachers i know in Gothenburg, because that is the main place i can go for lessons now.

To adress Dortmunds post, none that are available. Many of them teach exclusively on college level, so i am trapped in the cycle of needing to get better in order to get in to get lessons, but in order to get better more efficiently i need lessons.

I'd like to mention though that i am preparing for auditions for these private institutions, we have many jazz schools around the country, and i am applying to 10 of them, auditions starting in a month. My hope is that i can get into one of those, because then i would be getting private lessons, ensemble playing with other musicians in different styles (jazz, funk, soul, blues etc), theory lessons, piano lessons, composition lessons and ear training lessons on a daily basis and live at the school with other musicians. I manage to get into one of the reserve spots last year (so if enough people dropped out, i would get in), so i am hoping this year of practice has made me good enough to get in for sure. Even then, the semester don't start until late August, so i am thinking of signing up to brunos workshop, just to get some feedback and help me with what i need to work on.

That being said, i am still practicing on a daily basis and noticing improvement, so it is not like i am dependent on a teacher. But i'd sure like to get studying on a daily basis again with music school/college. I was studying at a music program in high school, and i miss that environment.

Once again, thanks for all the replies and advice. I greatly appreciate it!

Best Regards,
    Sickz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
    ... stuff like scales/fingerings/note choice etc comes as a byproduct, and by focusing on it one tends to forget time/rhythm/phrasing, which is much more important than note choice, at least how I hear things.
    To be clear, Jimmy doesn't focus all of his teaching on fingerings. Even thought that's the aspect that gets the most discussion in online forums like this, in point of fact, that's just the beginning (first few lessons) of his method. He gives plenty of attention to time, rhythm, phrasing and other aspects of the music (including note choice, which never ends). He just wants students to have a fundamental technique in their hands first before moving on to other musical aspects that they can now execute without flubbing every line.

Disclaimer: I too receive no financial gain from recommending JBGW to anyone; like boatheelmusic, I'm just a satisfied student.
    Last edited by jasaco; 03-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar View Post
    "He charges 400-500$ per lesson, which is something i can't afford at the moment"

that must be a typo.
    It's not oddly enough. I haven't talked to him in a long time, so i don't know if the price have changed. I actually don't even know his name come to think about it, i got to know of him from a friends father, who is working at the Opera in Malmö in Sweden. He assured me that all of his students had gotten into music college after studying with him, and people even studied with him after college. I don't know if there is any truth to that, not that i am going to find out anyway because that is simply too much money for me to spend on lessons.

I think the issue i had when i created this thread has been solved now though. I am reciving my paycheck tomorrow so i am going to try out jimmys workshop, 60$ for a three month period is something i feel i can gamble on. Then we'll see if it is the right thing for me or not, if not, i'll try e-mailing some other players regarding private lessons over skype and stop when i find someone that works for me.

That being said, if i am lucky i won't need it. As said, auditioning for school soon, if i get accepted i will get my lessons there.

Thanks a ton to everyone that took the time to help me in this thread though. I've been a member for like two days and i feel very welcomed and taken care of. It's great to be part of such a wonderful community.

User Info Menu

Ozeias (always could to have a star pupil uploading videos in the world of internet marketing, read into that what you like) and other JBGW students can be stalked on youtube and thus you can observe their improvement or not over time.

docbop you have recommended the Bailey Sherpa program a few times. Am interested to know what you learnt from it, why you hold it in such high regard?
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

$400-$500...? Did you specify it's for music lessons? not law?

No one in the US charges that much (unless you're Chris Potter, and if you're Chris Potter, you're probably only teaching via NYU)

Well, if online lessons is your only choice, then again, try getting in touch with Jonathan Kreisberg or Julian Lage, they both teach a lot via Skype. They probably will charge you about $100 per lesson, or less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post

docbop you have recommended the Bailey Sherpa program a few times. Am interested to know what you learnt from it, why you hold it in such high regard?
    As I said in a thread I'm a very advanced beginner, so what Sheryl and I go over is what I need or have questions about. A lot of warmup and practice suggestions, work in tunes, questions on improv theory and observations, and comments on my playing. I'm interested in "learning" guitar and we talk about teaching and trade insights for name players we both have talked to. Her videos she makes for me always very eye opening with the her insights and knowledge.

So for me it's more of a master class situation me getting to pick her brain. With Sheryl teaching at Berklee and New School, and doing seminars she's very familiar with guitarists and improvisers of all levels. So I have no hesitations recommending her to anyone.

What's funny is I discovered Sheryl when I was a student on the old Jimmy Bruno lesson site. Jimmy had a series of guest lessons with Howard Alden and Sheryl Bailey. I was really frustrated with Jimmy so I ended up contacting Sheryl for a Skype lesson. When Truefire created the Sherpa program and Sheryl was one of the first teacher I signed up. So Bruno led me to Sheryl.
    Last edited by docbop; 03-25-2015 at 01:28 AM.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Don't forget to consider Martin Taylor. One of the best players and teachers around on Skype.