Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I am trying to locate an intermediate/advanced jazz guitar teacher in either Connecticut, Southern MA or Rhode Island. Currently working towards advanced bebop playing and need external guidance. Would prefer face to face over "Skype" type lessons. Would like to meet only once a month for an hour or two. PM me if you know a name or have a lead. Thanks.

CB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You should try Jeff Feldstein in New Fairfield. Check him out here: www.jefffeldstein.com

User Info Menu

It's strange you'd want instruction for something that went out of fashion over half a century ago.. especially as it was made up ad-hoc by musicians on the bandstand. You "feel" jazz music,and learn by listening...Anyway you can learn all you need to know about jazz on this site..free!...L..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves View Post
    It's strange you'd want instruction for something that went out of fashion over half a century ago.. especially as it was made up ad-hoc by musicians on the bandstand. You "feel" jazz music,and learn by listening...Anyway you can learn all you need to know about jazz on this site..free!...L..
    You think what the OP wrote is strange? Fascinating.

Some would say Jazz went out of fashion 50 years ago. So, what are you doing here?

User Info Menu

who's the "some" your talking about. I said Be-Bop went out of fashion ,not jazz per-se. I thought jazz was supposed to be a progressive art-form."What am I doing here".....Good question!!.....L...

who's the "some" your talking about. I said Be-Bop went out of fashion ,not jazz per-se. I thought jazz was supposed to be a progressive art-form."What am I doing here".....Good question!!.....L...
    progressive - 1. happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step. 2. favoring or promoting change or innovation.

Jazz has a tradition. I suppose you could simply throw away everything that's come before and start anew and call what you do jazz, but some people would like to investigate/master earlier forms of this tradition and the trajectory of its innovations to become a well rounded jazz musician instead of, say, a poseur. Would you discourage someone from studying Coltrane because Coltrane's been dead for 40 years? On the other hand maybe the aspiring player simply digs be-bop. Why would you find it strange if, say, someone wanted to learn New Orleans, Swing or any other earlier form of any number of musical styles or genres? Or do you think all previous knowledge should be thrown in the wastebasket for the crime of not being trendy and hip? All trends begin somewhere and be bop's influence on modern jazz should never be underestimated.

I believe it was Nicholas Payton who said jazz died in 1959.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeffFeldstein View Post
    progressive - 1. happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step. 2. favoring or promoting change or innovation.

Jazz has a tradition. I suppose you could simply throw away everything that's come before and start anew and call what you do jazz, but some people would like to investigate/master earlier forms of this tradition and the trajectory of its innovations to become a well rounded jazz musician instead of, say, a poseur. Would you discourage someone from studying Coltrane because Coltrane's been dead for 40 years? On the other hand maybe the aspiring player simply digs be-bop. Why would you find it strange if, say, someone wanted to learn New Orleans, Swing or any other earlier form of any number of musical styles or genres? Or do you think all previous knowledge should be thrown in the wastebasket for the crime of not being trendy and hip? All trends begin somewhere and be bop's influence on modern jazz should never be underestimated.

I believe it was Nicholas Payton who said jazz died in 1959.
    He also said "stop fucking the dead and embrace the living!...L..

User Info Menu

I like to think my posts are important. But I wasn't looking to start an argument over dmall jazz idiosyncrasies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo View Post
    I like to think my posts are important. But I wasn't looking to start an argument over dmall jazz idiosyncrasies
    That's life on the internet.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    That's life on the internet.
    with all due respect doc, that is not life on the internet, that is life on the jazzguitar.be forum!

User Info Menu

Does anyone have a working email for Chip Flynn.? I believe he lives in Middletown CT. I'm coming to the US this summer and would love to take a lesson with him. Something of an underground legend. Rumored to have secured a deal with Vai's favored nations. Not straight ahead more of a fusion guy I believe but someone who apparently really understands holdsworth's harmonic/melodic conception.
    cheers

User Info Menu

Ugh! I thought for a minute I was on The Gear Page!

Bicker bicker

User Info Menu

I love my thread being so popular! NOW SOMEONE FIND ME TEACHER!

just kidding

User Info Menu

You might want to inquire at:

www.normanjohnsonguitar.com

He was my teacher years ago, and I learned so much from him. I'm not sure if he still teaches, but worth a try

User Info Menu

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism View Post
    Does anyone have a working email for Chip Flynn.? I believe he lives in Middletown CT. I'm coming to the US this summer and would love to take a lesson with him. Something of an underground legend. Rumored to have secured a deal with Vai's favored nations. Not straight ahead more of a fusion guy I believe but someone who apparently really understands holdsworth's harmonic/melodic conception.
    cheers
    +1 for Chip's contact details....
    I'm interested as well

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism View Post
    cheers
    Yes I know how to contact him ... too bad I missed your summer trip but it seems he's still in the area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzWhistlingAndKeyboard View Post
    Yes I know how to contact him ... too bad I missed your summer trip but it seems he's still in the area.
    Actually I missed my trip as well. I had to have an unexpected operation and couldn't go. But I'm making up for it this year and will be over at the end of July. It would be great to meet Chip, he used to have a ton of really good advice about gear over on the the old Holdsworth forum and some funny stories as well.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone resides and builds great arch tops in Rhode Island. I'm pretty certain he's be able to point you to a few very competent instructors in and around his area.

Welcome to Campellone Guitars
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

I just messaged you. I have a great teacher i could refer you to. let me know.

User Info Menu

hey, i got your message. sorry you didn't get my first.. I sent you another one, let me know if you got it. if you didn't ill just post what i messaged you in this thread.

User Info Menu

Hello CB.

My name is Jim. I am a full-time pro jazz guitarist and teacher and am on the faculty at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. I am in New Bedford, southcoast, MA . I teach at my studio. You can go to my website for more information. Thanks, Jim
    http://jimrobitaille.com/lessons--2

User Info Menu

Throwing my hat in the ring as a teacher...jazz guitar and jazz bass only. I play many Thursdays at the Stomping Ground in Putnam CT....former director of Jazz Studies at College of Charleston, South Carolina, for seven years....masters degree...several books carried by Jamey Aebersold...and fun to work with! Come to my studio in Smithfield Rhode Island. phone 401 419 0621
    Attached Images Attached Images Instructor in Connecticut (or S. MA/RI area) (Advanced)-jim-stomping-ground-1-jpg