Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi,

I am new to this forum and would like to find a jazz guitar teacher in Austin. Any suggestions? I played classical guitar for several years and a bit of blues/rock.
    Thank you.

Calhoun

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know Bruce Saunders is based in Austin. Look him up, he's great.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Jazz guitar in Austin?? Wouldn't that be like looking for hip hop at The Grand Old Oprey?
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

No. But it's not at the top of the list either. Lots of blues-rock on 6th street though. Yawn.

They have a jazz studies program at UT if I recall.

They also have a sizeable classical guitar program there. Adam Holzman runs it. I saw him Saturday night at the legendary 92nd Street Y, in an American Tribute To Segovia. He played very well.

I saw The Christian McBride Trio at JALC's Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola on Friday night. The trio format really lets him get after it. A great weekend.

User Info Menu

more Austin stuff, to answer your question Patrick. McLaughlin, DiMeola, Frisell have all played Austin, at minimum. I saw Frisell there a few years ago. In Soco, at the Continental Club.

http://www.6street.com/6s_pg_about.htm

User Info Menu

+1 on Bruce Saunders. One of the best in New York and Boston where he's a frequent part of the scene. He happens to live in Austin and you will have the good fortune to have a great teacher and REALLY laid back friendly guy.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
    more Austin stuff, to answer your question Patrick. McLaughlin, DiMeola, Frisell have all played Austin, at minimum. I saw Frisell there a few years ago. In Soco, at the Continental Club.

http://www.6street.com/6s_pg_about.htm
    McLaughlin, DiMeola & Frisell?? I though we were talking about jazz?? I just had to do that.

Austin is a music town. I'm sure there's great jazz and just about every other type of music there as well. I was just joking about the hip hop at The Opry comment.

Yeah . . 6th Street is full of the clubs with the SRV and Tinsley Ellis wanna bees. And some of them are seriously good blues guys. I've been to Austin a couple of times . . . but, not for a long long time. I believe that 1990 was the last ime I was there. However, I alway keep an eye out for Austin City Limits broadcasts on the boob tube. Ya just never know who or what you're going to hear. That town just loves music.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 10-29-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: stupid typos

User Info Menu

uh yep. McLaughlin plays jazz and other things. Frisell plays a little bit of jazz, and other things too. DiMeola... I don't know. Latin Jazz? I don't keep up with him.

I saw Frisell with The Bad Plus at JALC this past spring. I think one could call what they played jazz.

Jazz is always changing, really changing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
    uh yep. McLaughlin plays jazz and other things. Frisell plays a little bit of jazz, and other things too. DiMeola... I don't know. Latin Jazz? I don't keep up with him.
    They're all at the top of their game, that's for sure. As for Latin Jazz . . boy o boy . . theres' a mixed bag for sure. I love the stuff Paquito does . . Arturo Sandoval too. What a great mix of Cuban-Afro influenced jazz, salsa, swing. I travel to Puerto Rico frequently on business. On Thursday evenings, at the ESJ (El San Juan) Hotel . . in that big beautiful retro deco lounge area . . they sometimes have an 8 piece Cuban Jazz band. What a fantastic evening that is. Between the great music and the smokin' hot Latinas doing a smokin' hot salsa dancing . . it rarly gets any better than that anywhere in the world.

I saw Frisell with The Bad Plus at JALC this past spring. I think one could call what they played jazz.
    I'm not real big on Frisell. Maybe I've got to listen to a little more of him. So far, I'm not a real big fan of what he does.

Jazz is always changing, really changing.
    Yeah . . that's good, and bad. But, as long as the stuff I really dig doesn't go away . . . I don't really care how much it changes. There will always be those who embrace bop and swing . . . bot the players and the fans of it.

User Info Menu

that Puerto Rico thing sounds nice.

When we were at JALC on Friday night I asked my wife if she noticed anything about the crowd there at Dizzy's Club watching Christian McBride. She said "yeah, everybody's over 50 or even 60". (well, not everybody).

I noticed the same. It made me wonder how well jazz will do in 15, 20, 25 years. It doesn't look good, methinks.

For his part, McBride made a point of thanking everyone for coming out to see LIVE music, and for not sitting around on their butt watching youtube.com at home. (he said it nicer than that of course). I think he has a point.

User Info Menu

Calhoun, If you're around on Thursday (Halloween), Bruce Saunders is at the Austin Hilton Loft Bar 6-8 with Danielle Reich.
    On Friday he's doing Monk and Joe Henderson tunes at Sao Paulo's 7:30-10. See if you like his playing and introduce yourself if you'd like to talk with him about studying. He's the real thing. He had a trio with Ben Monder and Steve Cardinas when he was based in NY. Around Berklee, he's a very sought after teacher.
    There's nothing like seeing if someone's music connects with you before you take a lesson.
    David

Thanks to all of you and sorry for the late reply.
    And thanks, David, for the info on Bruce Saunders's concerts. I wasn't in Austin for Halloween but I checked his site and apparently he is playing again at the same place this month. I will try to go for sure.

Have a great day!

Calhoun

User Info Menu

I'll like to throw another option in the mix and recommend Mark Bish who currently teaches out of the Austin Guitar School (http://www.austinguitarschool.com/). I have been studying jazz guitar with him for almost 3 years. He is a great musician and down to earth guy. He attended Guitar Institute of Technology and Dick Groves School of Music amongst others and also taught for several years at GIT.

Thank you for the info, jasonmi!

Bruce Saunders would be a great choice, but he is still traveling quite a bit during the school sessions. A couple more to add to that list are Mitch Watkins (now back from Leonard Cohen duty) and Russ Scanlon. Carter Arrington and JD Pendley would be a couple more to look into, but I don't know if they teach.