Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hey does anyone know a good jazz teacher in queens new York around the bayside area or surrounding areas. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if you were brooklynn you could step outside and shout out

"ANYONE KNOW A JAZZ GUITARIST I CAN GET LESSONS FROM"

and like 50 people would bum rush you with price quotes.

Queens, probably similar but not as many. I would imagine that it shant be hard, go to a show in your area, every jazz musician gives lessons (not every but yeah the vast vast majority)
    Jake Hanlon - Jazz Guitarist, Composer and Educator
    Website - Buy Music - Youtube - STFXU

User Info Menu

Who do you want to sound like? Or should I say what camp are you in? In that neighborhood you can well afford to be that choosy. For all around, the name that comes to mind is Sheryl Bailey. But for you, who are your inspirations?
    David

Wow who are my inspirations, that's hard to narrow down I have so many.hall,breau,mclaughlin,kessel,wes, but I guess lately I've been into metheny.

User Info Menu

Yeah, do check out your options, but given your likes, and all I've heard and know, Sheryl's one you would be good to be aware of:
    Sheryl Bailey
    Also go see live music, at the 55 or other clubs in NY, then talk to the guys afterwords. Talk to others you find there. At these small clubs, everyone is in the same space and you'll very likely run into others that may want to play or study with you. Immerse yourself in the scene, a teacher will come out of it.
    David

Problem with that is, I have two small kids at home and it's a little harder for me to get out to the city as much these days. Thanks for the advise though

User Info Menu

Ahhhh, the world changer. Well one well placed outing in a small Greenwich Village club can give you a few years' worth of ideas. I know! Next Thanksgiving dinner, there'll be plenty of relatives around to watch the kids, you should be able to run out then.
    David

Got in touch with Sheryl bailey and 100 bucks an hr. daaaaaamn!
    I'm really just looking for help with my improvisation,i have a pretty good understanding of theory and my technique is pretty good i know all my scales/modes etc. so idk I'm might go for a couple or maybe just get a good DVD lol.

User Info Menu

I think Mark Elf lives in Queens:

Mark Elf Guitar Conservatory

This is his online deal. He probably gives private lessons too. Drop him a line and find out.
    Barney Kessel was asked, “What’s the hardest thing about studio work?” He replied, “Finding a parking place.”
    "I don't know what other people are doing - I just know about me."- Thelonious Monk

User Info Menu

Try www.musikalessons.com - they have a long list of teachers, most of whom will travel to your home. You pay by blocks and it may not be the cheapest, but i liked them and they found a great teacher for me.
    Also, i just started with New York Jazz Academy -- which i really love. They offer group classes in Queens and other boroughs of NYC and offer private lessons at your home. The group lessons are a bargain and you get the bonus of meeting other muscians grappling with the same challenges that your facing.
    Or just use the google machine, NYC is filled with guitar teachers and most will travel to your home.
    Also Jake is spot on (as always): I sought out a teacher in Brooklyn only to find out Brad Shepik lives literally next door to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Comeau View Post
    Got in touch with Sheryl bailey and 100 bucks an hr. daaaaaamn!
    I'm really just looking for help with my improvisation,i have a pretty good understanding of theory and my technique is pretty good i know all my scales/modes etc. so idk I'm might go for a couple or maybe just get a good DVD lol.
    It sounds like maybe you are newish to jazz improv based on the way you are discussing things like scales/modes (but I could be wrong). If you are quite new to it, you probably don't need someone of Sheryl Bailey's level...you can probably learn a lot from any professional jazz guitarist who is a decent teacher (and they will probably have lower rates than Sheryl).