The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 73

User Info Menu

When I'm working, exercising, or just generally in motion I like tunes that are generally uptempo and 'swing'. Something I can really move to, doesn't have to be virtuoso music but it does have to be something you want to tap your foot to. And of course, this being the jazz guitar forum it should feature a guitar player What are some of your favorites? I'm trying to add some to my playlist. Here are two for examples of what I'm looking for

Joe Pass - Love for Sale

Gabe Condon - This I Dig of You

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Almost any early Tal Farlow. He said Norman Granz really liked uptempo stuff, so that's what he gave Tal to record, and he could burn.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Pretty much any Charlie Christian.

I have some Jimmy Smith stuff (with Kenny Burrell) that swings great.

I know he's more on the rock edge, but the Brian Setzer Orchestra swings all over the place, and he's way more jazz than most people realize. Some think he's just playing rockabilly guitar in front of a big band. He is not.

Any of the "hillbilly jazz" crowd: Jimmy Bryant is a favorite.

User Info Menu

I've never heard any really fast Jazz Guitar players playing uptempo above 330bmp like a top sax player. IMHO, guitar is too difficult an instrument to be play at these fast improv 330bpm tempo.

But, maybe I am wrong again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I've never heard any really fast Jazz Guitar players playing uptempo above 330bmp like a top sax player. IMHO, guitar is too difficult an instrument to be play at these fast improv 330bpm tempo.

But, maybe I am wrong again.

It’s not the tempo, it’s the notes. And yeah when it comes to legato technique guitarists are as fast or faster than anyone. One obvious example would be Holdsworth. A newer example would be Matteo Mancuso. On plectrum, that would be McLaughlin. And that doesn’t even consider the sweep pickers and Gypsy jazzers.

So, yeah. Kinda wrong. Sorry.

User Info Menu

Grant Green - grants first stand

All good suggestions, keep em coming. I really liked the Kreisberg and Jimmy Bryant. Here's another from me

Wes Montgomery - Pata Pata

Kinda surprised this track isn't more popular, Wes is really burning here with the octaves

User Info Menu

I've never heard any really fast Jazz Guitar players playing uptempo above 330bmp like a top sax player. IMHO, guitar is too difficult an instrument to be play at these fast improv 330bpm tempo.]
    Ben Eunson seems to go alright

User Info Menu

Here you go:

User Info Menu

Bireli definitely swings on this uptempo number -

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think people on this thread are interpreting uptempo to mean ‘really fast’ - I don’t think that’s what the op meant

User Info Menu

Ed Cherry swings hard. Here are a couple of grooving takes on Grant Green's 'Green Jeans'.

(^ This is the clip that first hipped me to Ed.)

He has a new album just out on Cellar Live: Are We There Yet? | Ed Cherry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I think people on this thread are interpreting uptempo to mean ‘really fast’ - I don’t think that’s what the op meant
    What do you think he meant? Out of curiosity...

Agreed. Don't mind fast playing but I'm not looking for 330bpm fusion playing. Just looking for jazz, guitar-based tunes that are uptempo. I think the Joe Pass tune I initially linked is a good representation of what I mean. Something to tap your foot to, not anything frantic or virtuoso

User Info Menu

Jim Mullen swings at any tempo.

Here's an up-tempo 'Meditation' with Gene Harris.

User Info Menu

William Ash on 'Moanin'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Pretty much any Charlie Christian.

I have some Jimmy Smith stuff (with Kenny Burrell) that swings great.

I know he's more on the rock edge, but the Brian Setzer Orchestra swings all over the place, and he's way more jazz than most people realize. Some think he's just playing rockabilly guitar in front of a big band. He is not.

Any of the "hillbilly jazz" crowd: Jimmy Bryant is a favorite.

You nailed it!

User Info Menu

Chris said up tempo but not necessarily virtuosic. OK.
    Guy defined up tempo to be above 300 bpm, and said that fast guitarists can’t hack it.

So, perhaps some definition would be helpful. I’ll say that up tempo is over 200, 240 for sure. It’s understood that players won’t confine themselves to eighth notes, necessarily.

Maybe an example of a sax player playing a tune over 300 bpm and blowing CLEANLY might be instructive. Then we’ll see about the guitar world.

In the end, speed is notes per second, regardless of tempo. Physics.

User Info Menu

There’s plenty of guitarists out there who can hang in there at 300bpm+ (I can do it and this kind of tempo is certainly not unusual at for instance gypsy jazz sessions) mechanically it’s certainly impossible or even necessarily that hard to execute scales, arpeggios and so on at that tempo (though interval jumps can be challenging)

however to my mind there’s no one can swing as hard or phrase as freely as Bud or Bird at those warp speed tempos.

So tbh I don’t really see the point beyond a demonstration of technique. I used to play more bonkers Cherokee etc as a young chap.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 05-17-2023 at 04:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Chris said up tempo but not necessarily virtuosic. OK.
    Guy defined up tempo to be above 300 bpm, and said that fast guitarists can’t hack it.

So, perhaps some definition would be helpful. I’ll say that up tempo is over 200, 240 for sure. It’s understood that players won’t confine themselves to eighth notes, necessarily.

Maybe an example of a sax player playing a tune over 300 bpm and blowing CLEANLY might be instructive. Then we’ll see about the guitar world.

In the end, speed is notes per second, regardless of tempo. Physics.
    immediately thought of

So this is far from the fastest Bird recorded but it is at 300bpm so this will do for starters. It’s deceptive because Bird sounds so relaxed and plays every note with its correct duration and in the pocket. I mean he’s playing triplets at this speed, not just locked in eights - and swinging like a barn door.

I can’t recall if I’ve heard a pick guitar player play at this speed with this level of relaxed precision. Usually players choose one of those two….

Legato guitar it is more possible (I think Allan recorded some things at this tempo, Eunson can play at that tempo with aplomb) but I don’t think any of them match bird or Bud; and remember this is isn’t even Birds top gear.

Tbf they are GOATs.

EDIT: psychologically there’s a barrier too. I think a lot of musicians are more comfortable playing 16th notes at 150 than 8th notes at 300. That’s why there’s the joke ‘we all like to play ballads… because we like to play fast).

Try it….

Part of the reason is 300bpm feels intense. Another is that you don’t need the same rhythmic acuity to play a fast run than to play good jazz at a fast tempo. Parker’s double time always felt like double tempo… the middle 8 of Confirmation is a good example - the phrasing is so free.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 05-17-2023 at 04:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I hear 300bpm and above as "uptempo".

Around 200bpm I consider to be medium tempo.

Here's the genius Charlie Parker playing Kim (Rhythm Changes) at around 322bpm. Compare his articulation and phrasing at this tempo with the Koko that Christian posted.

User Info Menu

wes - Caravan

DG

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno Senior