The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello. I have done a lot of searching around. I remember the beginning melody, but I cannot remember the name of this Jazz Standard song, so I came to the right place to solve this riddle. I only played the first few bars.

Thank you in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Four" by Miles Davis

User Info Menu

I was going to say Two Plus Two but you beat me to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Hello. I have done a lot of searching around. I remember the beginning melody, but I cannot remember the name of this Jazz Standard song, so I came to the right place to solve this riddle. I only played the first few bars.

Thank you in advance.

You're playing it wrong and Miles stole it from Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, whom Miles also stole "Tune Up" from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Four" by Miles Davis
    Thank you, Wintermoon. I thought maybe it was a Coltrane song. I tried looking up lists and videos of his top songs. I came up with nothing. I then tried Miles, and could not come up with anything. I lost around an hour and a half of precious time and decided to just to to one of the rare sources for Jazz, this forum.

Thank you again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    I was going to say Two Plus Two but you beat me to it!
    Ha, ha. That was really fast. The melody was in my head. Moment's Notice and other songs kind of came to mind but I knew they were wrong, but I was really thinking Coltrane at that time.

Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    You're playing it wrong and Miles stole it from Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, whom Miles also stole "Tune Up" from.

Ha, ha. Blame it on my flawed memory. But I knew just enough for you good folks to get me there. Now, to look this thing up on Youtube! (Youtube is both a blessing and a curse, lol)

User Info Menu

Here it is.

User Info Menu

I also found this lesson in which the instructor shows you the melody and even a sample solo. All I should need....

Also, the leadsheet is in the Real Book Volume 1, on page 149.

User Info Menu

Ha, ha. That was really fast. The melody was in my head. Moment's Notice and other songs kind of came to mind but I knew they were wrong, but I was really thinking Coltrane at that time.

Much appreciated!
    I was trying to remember who or what instrument was in my head. I scanned for Dexter Gordon songs and wrote down about 10 of them on a piece of paper. When getting ready to listen I had a feeling and picked Four first. Badda Bing!

OTOH, it shouldn’t have been that hard.

User Info Menu

There was a lot of theft going on back then. I worked w an organ player that claimed he was working on a tune when Booker T stopped by to rent a Hammond.
    He said he went to see Booker that night at a club and he was playing his song....Green Onions

ps speaking of which you never followed up on your "what tune starts with the same 3 notes as Emily" question

User Info Menu

There was a lot of theft going on back then. I worked w an organ player that claimed he was working on a tune when Booker T stopped by to rent a Hammond.
    He said he went to see Booker that night at a club and he was playing his song....Green Onions

ps speaking of which you never followed up on your "what tune starts with the same 3 notes as Emily" question
    Did anyone get it yet?

User Info Menu

You tell me

User Info Menu

You tell me
    I just checked- You got it!

User Info Menu

Did anyone get it yet?
    Here are songs that I remember start with those three notes in the melody of "Emily":

Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor

Diamonds are forever by Shirley Bassey

Go to 1:34 of As I Am by Dream Theater

Midnight in Tokyo by Y&T

Yusef Lateef's Love Theme from Spartacus
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 05-10-2023 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are songs that I remember start with those three notes in the melody of "Emily":

Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor

Diamonds are forever by Shirley Bassey

Go to 1:34 of As I Am by Dream Theater

Midnight in Tokyo by Y&T

Yusef Lateef's Love Theme from Spartacus
    Bach-yes
    Bassey- no
    Dream Theater-no
    Midnight in Tokyo-Yes
    Lateef- Yes

User Info Menu

Miles stole Four from Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, whom Miles also stole Tune Up from.
    Exactly how many tunes did Miles steal lol?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Exactly how many tunes did Miles steal lol?
    Whatever he could get away with. LOL!

User Info Menu

Lmao

User Info Menu

I'd take this with a grain of salt.