The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Just started listening to Joe Pass this year. Do you know what type of guitar he used for the album Unforgettable? Nylon string possibly?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We had something on this the other year. We found the guitar, the make of guitar, confirmed with the company it was used on Unforgettable (of which they were very proud), and so on. The same guitar was used for the album 'Songs For Ellen'.

The problem is I've completely forgotten what it was. I think grahambop was involved in that too so he might come up with something. I'll keep looking for you, and you keep looking too. It's there somewhere.

User Info Menu

I appreciate it my friend. I've listening to Mr Pass everyday at home and work. Also Jim Hall!

User Info Menu

Sounds like nylon to me. Sometimes not too, but…

User Info Menu

It’s definitely a nylon string, I believe he also used it on Songs for Ellen.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of references saying that Joe occasionally used a Borys nylon-string guitar, so maybe that's a possibility.
    Last edited by grahambop; 05-08-2023 at 05:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Graham, Borys it was. I seem to remember they said they didn't have any photos of Joe Pass playing their nylon guitar which is why the album cover of Unforgettable pictured him on his usual Gibson.

As Heard On — Borys Guitars

User Info Menu

And here it is :-)

User Info Menu

Some photos of a Borys nylon-string here:

Borys B-520 1987 Natural Jazz Nylon Guitar | Reverb

User Info Menu

Blimey, nearly £3 grand for that one, no electrics and second-hand. Mind you, that's a modern one, it wouldn't have been what Joe Pass used although Unforgettable came out in 1998.

Also it's shipped from the States but I shouldn't think it would add that much to the price.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm listening to Unforgettable at the moment such a beautiful calming album! It seems jazz music can be played on any guitar. I believed jazz guitar had to strictly be on a Gibson type archtop. It really can be played on any guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi313
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm listening to Unforgettable at the moment such a beautiful calming album! It seems jazz music can be played on any guitar. I believed jazz guitar had to strictly be on a Gibson type archtop. It really can be played on any guitar!
    Definitely! It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

And nylon strings are a fantastic choice for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Definitely! It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

And nylon strings are a fantastic choice for jazz.
    Well said Mr Beaumont

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Blimey, nearly £3 grand for that one, no electrics and second-hand. Mind you, that's a modern one, it wouldn't have been what Joe Pass used although Unforgettable came out in 1998.

Also it's shipped from the States but I shouldn't think it would add that much to the price.
    Well the description says that one was made in 1987 and is the same type as used by Joe Pass and Emily Remler.

Having said that, I don’t know how accurate the seller’s information is, I don’t know much about Borys guitars.

User Info Menu

Here is something to consider...

These two albums: Unforgettable and Songs For Ellen are really good material for lifting from the recording. Great ear training and learning by doing/hearing. These are not too fast and just ideal for this sort of exercise. You don't have to have a nylon string guitar for this, though it probably sounds best on one.

To me, this type of ear training is much more enjoyable than traditional ear training and you end up with a bunch of tunes you can play, as well as new ideas for doing your own arrangements.

Tony
    Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-08-2023 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well the description says that one was made in 1987 and is the same type as used by Joe Pass and Emily Remler.

Having said that, I don’t know how accurate the seller’s information is, I don’t know much about Borys guitars.
    Looks mean nothing, but I'm having such a hard time picturing Joe playing something so modern looking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Oops, I might be quite wrong then. Sorry, didn't see the description.

Having said that, I don’t know how accurate the seller’s information is
    Quite so. Mind you, it's probably right, the whole deal looks genuine enough. But it is expensive, isn't it?

(edit)

There's a Borys for sale right here. At a mere four and a half grand* plus shipping :-)

* and .01 of a penny

Mint 2020 Borys B120
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-08-2023 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Here is something to consider...

These two albums: Unforgettable and Songs For Ellen are really good material for lifting from the recording. Great ear training and learning by doing/hearing. These are not too fast and just ideal for this sort of exercise. You don't have to have a nylon string guitar for this, though it probably sounds best on one.

To me, this type of ear training is much more enjoyable than traditional ear training and you end up with a bunch of tunes you can play, as well as new ideas for doing your own arrangements.

Tony
    There are transcriptions of these tunes on YouTube. As a short cut, you understand :-)

User Info Menu

Joe also recorded a couple of tunes on the Catch Me session in 1963 which sound like nylon-string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There are transcriptions of these tunes on YouTube. As a short cut, you understand :-)
    I wasn't aware of that, but to me the value is in doing it ourselves. There would be value in comparing notes (pardon the pun...) with somebody else's transcription as long as I did the work first and then looked. Also, the quality of the other guy's transcription would have to be better than mine for it to have any value.

Thanks for the tip though. :-)

Tony