The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I can only think of one off the top of my head: My Funny Valentine. I know that I have come across a bunch of them, but I can not remember any. Thanks for any help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Idle moments sure does. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? I'm sure I can think of others...

Thank you. If you come across a few, I would be grateful. Fist, I want to play something other “Valentine”.

Great suggestions. Those are now in my list to play. (Idle Moments has to be one of the best albums, and if I remember right Martino did “what are you… “ on his footprints album). FYI, “what…” has the cadence but in the real book, it uses slash chords. My level of theory does not allow for me to know why slash chords instead of the other way. Maybe to make the movement in the bass…

Second, (again based on memory) every time I come across that cadence it always does the same resolution. I am wondering if there is another approach or use.

I have much appreciation for you. Again thank you.

User Info Menu

Stairway to Heaven.

User Info Menu

Awesome… and thanks.

A Taste of Honey, the Beatles version, has the sequence in first four bars of the verses in F#minor. However, the first chord is a minor, not a minor 7
    Not sure about other versions but I think the original has it too.

User Info Menu

This Masquerade

User Info Menu

Jean-Pierre ?

User Info Menu

Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

User Info Menu

In a Sentimental Mood by Duke Ellington starts with this progression.

Thank you all.

User Info Menu

Blue Skies
    In Walked Bud

pretty much anything where the Vi or ii chord sits around for a while can become one of these

common variation

Im V+ Im7 IV7

User Info Menu

Nobody's mentioned my favorite pedantic/overexplaining acronym yet-- CESH!

User Info Menu

sounds like a disease.

User Info Menu

Then there are all the songs that have two bars of a minor that absolutely beg for a | m m/M7 | m7 m6 | insert, like Autumn Leaves and Summertime.

User Info Menu

The way the thread title is written you're asking which songs have min7 minMaj7 min7 min6, but you really meant to ask which ones have min minMaj7 min7 min6 lines in them, correct?

Anyway, add the bridge of God Bless the Child to the list. Wes's Beaux Arts does it as a counter-melody. And in addition to what Christian and Ragman said, it also works on pretty much any i-IV

It's all over Latin music as a line cliche, and in derivatives of Latin music, such as Joe Jackson's Cha Cha Loco.

User Info Menu

(Ecoutez La Musette! Oh, Le Paris...! And the large American tourist bellowed in her best West Texas accent, "Ohh...! Que c'est beau... cette une belle fontaine!!" The lobby fell silent for a twinkling moment until the air was carved once more by the strains of the blind accordioniste perched near the entrance just beyond the revolving brass door... Suddenly, th )

The Minor Line Cliche! And so many variations... In fact, used so many times that it's become a cliche! (I think I've lost my accent grave!) Resurrected often to evoke or invoke that I swishy-gishy romantic entendre to cause swooning and spooning. Is it even legal...?

Michelle My Belle!, While My Guitar Is Gently Weeping, Feeelings, More, Chim-Chim-Ma-Cheree, A Taste Of Honey, Summer Rain, Can't Take My Eye Off Of You, Somethin', Lover Man, This Masquerade, What Are You Doing The Arrest Of Your Life, ... Not a cringer in the bunch, eh?!

In a song in the key of C Major, you can play one on Am, and then another on Dm if you wish to compound the error...

Sometimes the movement created by the descending chromatic line is so broad that the cliche is barely noticeable. The ear is fooled. A sleight of hand I would think. I am The Piano Man!

Last Tango In Paris...? It must have one hidden in there somewhere... a hidden line cliche.

(When I hear Cesh I think of Babylon Five and I go blank.)
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 04-25-2023 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StringNavigator

Michelle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Feelings, More, Chim Chim Cheree, A Taste Of Honey, Summer Rain, Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, Something, Lover Man, This Masquerade, What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life, ...

In a song in the key of C Major, you can play one on Am, and then another on Dm if you wish to compound the error...

"Something" is interesting in that he uses the progression on a major chord instead of a minor in the verse (starting with F maj, F major 7...) , and then a few bars later uses the progression in the minor form on Dminor.

I had forgotten about the song Feelings you mention. That's a great song for chord melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Grossman
    ...I had forgotten about the song Feelings you mention. That's a great song for chord melody.
    Back in '74 they wouldn't let you forget it. Malls, office buildings and elevators would massage you with its plaintive call 9 to 5 Mon-Fri. Low on plot, but laced with feelie stuff. And they had secretaries back then... row upon row of' em... in mini-skirts... armed with AM desk radios. And every hour... they would carve the air with "feelings....whoa whoa whoa, feeee-lings...whoa whoa whoa...!" Some would even try to sing along. Whoa, whoa, baby! Followed closely by Tom Jones' What's New Pussycat?! More whoa whoa whoa! (What does it all mean, Anyway...?!!) Then they'd come home and bust your bollocks until you got rid of that guitar... "Grow up and be a real man! Practice...? Work overtime!"

Meanwhile, women were flinging their fresh underwear with wild abandon at Elvis on a stage somewhere...
    I guess today they'd have an App for that,,

Last edited by StringNavigator; 04-19-2023 at 11:56 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Round midnight … if you play it right!

User Info Menu

Cry me a river has it in the bridge, and in the first bars in reverse:
    Gm - Gmb6 - Gm6 - Gm7.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Cry me a river has it in the bridge, and in the first bars in reverse:
    Gm - Gmb6 - Gm6 - Gm7.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk