The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 126

User Info Menu

Obviously, all of us in here love listening to and playing jazz music and jazz guitar.

My question is, what other kinds of music do you spend an appreciable amount of time listening to?

Also, do you spend a lot of time listening to other genres, or is it the vast majority jazz?

Me, I listen to jazz a lot, that means quite a lot, but I also enjoy listening to a lot of rock, especially classic rock, some grungy Alt rock, and R&B. I love R&B music too, so sweet with so many beautiful melodies and great singers singing harmonies.

What are you into besides jazz, if anything?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of Hip hop, 90s/00s indie rock, and reggae, particularly dub.

And bits and pieces of a bunch of other stuff, I guess, but those 3 are the genres where I like a LOT of artists.

I do have times where I'll listen to nothing but jazz for weeks on end. Jazz is the real mainstay, I'd say.

User Info Menu

All sorts of mostly Black music of the 1920s, 30s and 40s; Bach, Handel, Vivaldi then a big leap to Chopin, Debussy, Stravinsky, Mahler, Shostakovich. The bulk of my listening is big band, swing and bebop. No taste for hardbop, postbop, fusion, rock, hiphop, rap, electronica, Beethoven, Brahms or Strauss. Can’t handle big symphonies or operas. I’m a mildewed moldy fig in an advanced state of decay.

User Info Menu

Stuff currently on my phone includes mostly Brazilian Jazz, but also some smooth jazz I started listening to for a gig and got to like. Also some Toots and the Maytals.

I recently got Sirius on my phone and I've been listening to Miles Davis and the Grateful Dead, mostly.

I play in big bands, but tbh, I don't listen to much big band music. I like it when I hear it, but I don't seem to seek it out.

edit: Went out tonight to hear a country band. Steel guitar player was terrific. Loved it. I went because I've played Brazilian jazz with the bassist, who, apparently, can play anything.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-14-2023 at 04:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Pretty much 90% jazz, 5% blues and 5% Rhythm and Blues(soul, dusties, oldies, doo wop, whatever you want to call it).

https://youtu.be/Wb4SJ2DawJw

User Info Menu

I have a large record collection
    Nothing later than about 1980
    My listening is of 95% classical

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    All sorts of mostly Black music of the 1920s, 30s and 40s; Bach, Handel, Vivaldi then a big leap to Chopin, Debussy, Stravinsky, Mahler, Shostakovich. The bulk of my listening is big band, swing and bebop. No taste for hardbop, postbop, fusion, rock, hiphop, rap, electronica, Beethoven, Brahms or Strauss. Can’t handle big symphonies or operas. I’m a mildewed moldy fig in an advanced state of decay.
    Interesting. Have you attended The Rite of Spring or The Firebird in person?

User Info Menu

Mainly jazz here, followed by world music, esp. Mideastern.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A lot of Hip hop, 90s/00s indie rock, and reggae, particularly dub.

And bits and pieces of a bunch of other stuff, I guess, but those 3 are the genres where I like a LOT of artists.

I do have times where I'll listen to nothing but jazz for weeks on end. Jazz is the real mainstay, I'd say.
    Cool, I too like Hip Hop and rock, and sometimes just listen to jazz, jazz, and more jazz for a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I listen to a lot of R&B too, but you're really old school with it, okay.

I'm the opposite on the other music you mentioned. I almost never listen to big band, but I'm heavily into bop, post bop, and fusion on the jazz side. Also I'm into R & B, Hip Hop and rock.

Do you play classical too?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Stuff currently on my phone includes mostly Brazilian Jazz, but also some smooth jazz I started listening to for a gig and got to like. Also some Toots and the Maytals.

I recently got Sirius on my phone and I've been listening to Miles Davis and the Grateful Dead, mostly.

I play in big bands, but tbh, I don't listen to much big band music. I like it when I hear it, but I don't seem to seek it out.
    There is some really fantastic Brazilian jazz, and some good smooth jazz too, though I'm more into post bop with some cadences and linear bebop language.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Pretty much 90% jazz, 5% blues and 5% Rhythm and Blues(soul, dusties, oldies, doo wop, whatever you want to call it).

https://youtu.be/Wb4SJ2DawJw

You're a real jazz head then, LOL. Nothing wrong with that.

I love R&B and some blues too.

Blues influence on music is just HUGE. There's a video floating around out there, of Paul McCartney in the studio writing "Get Back," while they were waiting for John Lennon to show up at the studio, he was late. He started by just playing a regular blues cadence, then just started humming a melody, he slowly changed the melody up a bit, to make it original, then added a bridge, and the whole song was basically done. It's so simple yet absolute genius the way he did it. It also really demonstrates the influence of the blues on all American music, and the Beatles too.
    Last edited by James Haze; 04-14-2023 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I have a large record collection
    Nothing later than about 1980
    My listening is of 95% classical
    Wow, nothing later than 1980? What, no Nirvana or Pearl Jam? Joking

95% classical, okay then why are you on a jazz guitar forum, there's no classical guitar forum? Just asking.

User Info Menu

Have any of you guys ever heard of Toninho Horta?

User Info Menu

What besides the ost albums of Encanto and Moana haha? The wiggles greatest hits?

I listen to a fair bit of classical radio (radio 3) but there aren’t half a lot interminable 19th century symphonists. Schubert, Mozart, Haydn, Bach and Corelli are my boys. I also bloody love Vivaldi. What a genius. He’s like a zen master. I can see why JS rated him so highly. Telemann can get lost. What a dweeb.

Not much modern classical atm. I did listen to Boulez Notations the other day after one forum chat about serialism. That's flipping fantastic. Things like Pli Selon Pli are cool too. TBH it's good to revisit now my ears can get round it a bit more. But that stuff is already music history....

I quite like Anna Meredith. It’s quite disco.

modern stuff…. I really liked Pink Noise (Laura Mvula) she’s a bit of a genius. Haven’t listened to a huge amount of contemporary pop music of late. Need to get back into it. There’s some good stuff… mostly singles. I'll check out a Lizzo tune or something, but I probably wouldn't listen to an album (It's About Time is a straight banger). The album's kind of dead now, sad to say. Unless it's someone putting out artisanal beard music on vinyl.

Not much hiphop tbh.

revisiting a lot of boomer music too, got a record player so 70s stuff, no jazz (I want it to be a social thing) just got Court and Spark on vinyl, Solid Air (John Martyn) which are both quite jazz adjacent artists tbf, and revisiting Floyd and Beatles. Carole King, Zeppelin. My parent's record collection, basically.

i listen to a lot of stuff like Knower and Dirty Loops and so on and I don’t know if that’s jazz or not tbh. None of this stuff is exactly spang-a-lang

i listened to some Sepultura the other day.

Mostly quite boring and middle aged. But then tbf I am boring and middle aged.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 04-14-2023 at 05:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    Have any of you guys ever heard of Toninho Horta?
    Does he count as jazz? Dunno.

EDIT: says he's jazz on Wikipedia. So there you go.

Certainly a name I know, but to my shame haven't got around to checking out. My old Brazilian flatmate loves him.

User Info Menu

Ah - Steely Dan

I've been doing some work on this. And, I think I've cracked it - Larry Carlton this, Wayne Shorter that, sure, but it's actually ALL about the lyrics. Amirite Dan fans?

(which is to say it's NOT jazz, therefore, if I go looking for jazz in SD I'll find it, but it's not the focus)

User Info Menu

On my iPlayer: Van Halen, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Led Zep, Joni Mitchell, Ozzy, The Pixies, Journey, Santana. Really tried to get into The Smiths but, other than maybe 2-3 songs, can't stand them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    On my iPlayer: Van Halen, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Led Zep, Joni Mitchell, Ozzy, The Pixies, Journey, Santana. Really tried to get into The Smiths but, other than maybe 2-3 songs, can't stand them.
    Johnny Marr does his valiant best to cancel out the Morrisey-ness doesn't he? Ah well, mate. I suppose the upshot is everyone thinks he's even better for being able to make those records sound listenable.

BTW I know a guy who toured with him (in Bryan Ferry's band) and JM wanted to get a of his own couple signature guitars for stage use and Fender just wouldn't give them to him. I wonder if they did the same to John Mayer and that's why he went to PRS and invented the worst looking guitar since the Gibson Nighthawk?

It's pretty mind boggling really.

User Info Menu

Argh, now I'm imagining a jazzmaster with a PRS headstock and those flipping bird inlays.

MY EYES!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Oh Radiohead The King of Limbs. Completely under the radar, didn't listen to it when it came out, now I think it may be the perfect Radiohead record. Yazz Ahmed's on that so maybe it's jazz?

User Info Menu

What am I missing? The John Mayer PRS looks just like a Strat to me.

Yeah, Johnny Marr is pretty good. I particularly like the vocal-less rendition of Please Let Me Get What I Want in the Chicago Museum Of Modern Art scene in Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

User Info Menu

I have lots of classical music and I listen quite a lot to music from the second half of the twentieth century to the present day, much of which is modernist - Messiaen, Boulez, Carter, Birtwistle, Ferneyhough, Barrett. But also, my tastes encompass most the history of western music. I also have a fair few CDs of rock, but don't listen much to them these days. I find I can get my hit of rock and jazz in the form of my favourite fusion records. But while cooking often I'll listen to a Beatles record since it is something both me and my mum like, my favourites being Revolver and The White Album. I also love Indian classical music and Indonesian gamelan - I have CDs of musics from a few other non-western countries too. And a few albums of free-improv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    You're a real jazz head then, LOL. Nothing wrong with that.

I love R&B and some blues too.

Blues influence on music is just HUGE. There's a video floating around out there, of Paul McCartney in the studio writing "Come Together," while they were waiting for John Lennon to show up at the studio, he was late. He started by just playing a regular blues cadence, then just started humming a melody, he slowly changed the melody up a bit, to make it original, then added a bridge, and the whole song was basically done. It's so simple yet absolute genius the way he did it. It also really demonstrates the influence of the blues on all American music, and the Beatles too.
    I thought 'Come Together' was one of John's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Interesting. Have you attended The Rite of Spring or The Firebird in person?
    Yes, both, but at least forty years ago.