The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 126

User Info Menu

Difficult to say, I mostly listen to the music when I'm driving.
    On radio, a classical station, they sometimes play jazz.

I love listening to The Doors.
    In my flash drive I've got LA Woman, Waiting For The Sun and The Soft Parade.

I'm very conservative.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I listen to lots of different music. At the moment its:

Flamenco:

Ambient:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    An American friend who was living in Australia in 1969 brought back a copy of Abbey Road after a trip home to Seattle. I was 8 years old, already playing guitar and classical piano and it was the moment my world went from B&W to technicolour. Their music and the whole narrative surrounding that band still fascinates me.

Two other memorable purchases in my teens were albums of Indian sitar virtuoso, Vilayat Khan and a Nonesuch release of Javanese court gamelan music. As for your composer list, I'm also a big modernist music fan. In fact, at various times during the '80s, I met both Messiaen and Boulez, interviewed Richard Barrett and had dinner and an incredible night of conversation with Brian Ferneyhough!
    Awesome! Yes, Abbey Road is also a stone-cold classic. While I haven't so-much 'met' Ferneyhough (best I can do was, while attending his receiving an honorary doctorate at Birmingham Conservatoire in 2018, during the interval of the ensuing concert stand in front of him, wait for my presence to be acknowledged, then shake his hand and profess my intense admiration for Shadowtime when it was!) I have met Richard Barrett a few times, and the last time in fact I went for a meal and drinks with him and his wife and a few other people, it was a great night.

User Info Menu

I figured out too late that one of the reasons I can't play jazz (or anything else tbh) is that I listen to
    too much other stuff - I spent my 20's & 30's wandering around & collecting music from various places.
    Now I put the squeezbox on 'random mix' in the morning & it chooses from 81 genres & 21,000 +
    tracks....half the time I let it play, the other half something comes up that sends me down a paticular path.

Yesterday was an Art Blakey day...

If I HAD to pick one kind of music only I'd struggle to choose between Jazz/Blues/early (Senegalese) Mbalax.

User Info Menu

In the car, there's no "jazz" station in my area, so I listen to the rock or classical stations (or jazz CDs primarily). [When driving on trips with the family, it's always Peter Gabriel, Beatles, and Prince CDs!]

At home, I mostly listen to jazz, but throw on my rock (i.e., Zep, Hendrix, Beatles, Prince, Zappa, et al.) or classical CDs, too (lots of classical guitar, and other stuff). I like a lot of other music, but don't actively listen to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    That's not an ugly guitar. *This* is an ugly guitar!

nonsense. That guitar knows what it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    nonsense. That guitar knows what it is.
    lol - absolutely!

User Info Menu

Taylor Swift whenever my 16 yr old daughter is in the car. I like it all really…being a somewhat recovered Dead Head. First and second generation blues being at the center of it all. Not too crazy about hard bop. Appreciate a good melody, The Beatles and the GASB. Surf guitar intrigues me. While working I appreciate instrumental music if any at all.

Lesser known bands I like:

The Gourds now Shiny Ribs
    Southern Culture on the Skids

Most of my listening is done while driving. I switch between Real Jazz, Outlaw Country and Bluesville. Spotify invaluable for learning and gig prep.

Some rock but it has to be quality with class guitarists but these days generally house and dance music (not drum & bass!) although my knees no longer work well enough for raving any more Working for an international DJ and computer music programming software got me in to house.
    guitar tones
    Last edited by LiamEvans210; 10-04-2023 at 02:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I enjoy most forms of melodic instrumental music, World music is my latest passion . "Playing for change" has some delightful collaborations. Santana, Aram Bedrosian, Rising Appalachia, Michael Hedges and a myriad of local artist friends.

User Info Menu

Anything and everything except hip hop, rap, and some of the more extreme metals
    klingeltone: https://klingeltonemp3.info/
    Last edited by BeckJohn21; 10-20-2023 at 03:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Whenever I'm feeling down, I watch K-Pop.

... and when I'm feeling up, I listen to Japanoise.

User Info Menu

Bluegrass, prewar blues and hillbilly, postwar electric blues, honky-tonk country, Western swing, occasional Indian classical music, rock up to like, 1983.

I like jam bands too.

User Info Menu

I don't listen to music that much anymore.
    I spend hours a day playing and writing it. After, I play chess and write funny captions for pictures I find on Twitter or wherever. It recharges me.

My phone (which I listen to on morning walks) has a lot of Herb Ellis on it, some T-Bone Walker, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, some old country songs, Sonny Boy Williamson. O, and Ray Charles. Lot of Ray Charles.

When I am running errands in my wife's car, I turn on Sirius XM and find Tom Petty radio.

I've been meaning to listen to all my Allman Brothers CDs again and I'll get to that sometime this summer.

User Info Menu

My non-jazz listening has changed a lot in the last couple of months.

— Lots of standards, often the original or early versions of the songs

— lots of jump blues, proto-rock ‘n’ roll, and rockabilly

— less folk, rock, country blues and Chicago blues, less Jerry Garcia and JJ Cale for now. Less Bert Jansch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like music

User Info Menu

Rock, reggae, country, blues, smooth jazz (some say it isn't jazz), NE Brazil styles. Salsa, or is that jazz? Occasional bluegrass and classical. I like Gospel music a lot, but I don't seem to seek it out.

The only music I shy away from is opera.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-17-2023 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

:P

User Info Menu

Bluegrass, electric traditional blues, West Coast/jump style blues. But most of my attention is focused on jazz...um, obviously.

I don't actually listen to music, except while commuting to and from the day job. Then it's always a healthy mix of hard bop (Horace Silver, Horace Parlan, Kenny Drew, GG, Wes, Pat, Jimmy McGriff, Don Patterson, et al.).

If I want to play something, I'd rather try to do it myself. Yes, of course, I have the stereotypical lots of albums on LP and CD and digital, and I do play them while entertaining guests, but it's abhorrent to me to use music as "background."

That said, I play a fair bit of pool/"pocket billiards" as a hobby, and so spend quite a bit of time in bars and places with pool tables and juke boxes.

Yes, I try to put in some crowd-friendly stuff like from Ramsey Lewis or whatever, but I have no problems with AC/DC, anything from Led Zep, any of those great years the Stones had, most any blues. Steely Dan.

I put my foot down at any kind of "nostalgia" dance music, like some of the gals like, and, well, TBH, most things.

Most vocal music is a hard NO. Especially modern "hip-hop": if I can hear a melody, and it isn't sampled, it's trash to me. I'll listen to Anita O'Day, sure, but very few others. What is this Drake shit? I don't want to hear some dude trying to croon...there's only one Dean Martin. The Beastie Boys I'll listen to all day, but not that singing crap, within that context.

But, as a classical pianist in the third side of my brain...well, no, I don't actually listen to that much either. Maybe steal some ideas, but it's just easier and more fun to read through what I want and play it, such as it comes out.

No, I really don't like listening to music: I like to play it. Or, if I get a bit in my cups, yeah, put on an album from one of the usual suspects. Not talking about transcribing: I've done that for decades, but not so much anymore. That's a different kind of listening, though, for me.

Although, I will say, if I get into my cups, I'll willingly play and listen to all kinds of country and western music. Both kinds. Country and western. George Jones all day. Merle Haggard all night. Ralph Mooney when I sleep.

So, yeah, the limbic brain is pretty much into roots music for me, which I will listen to when I feel like it. As a pianist, obviously, NOLA is where I began as a young kid, that style, and then if it dances and it swings and it feels a little rowdy, well, then you got the rock and roll and the funk. And the western style mixes in. So, shit, I don't feel I need to listen to any of it, it's just where it's at, but I'll come to blows if I don't like it piped into my earholes by mall people or whatever.

The nice thing about the American/NOLA roots music is that the piano and the guitar are all of one piece, sort of: of course, Mac Rebennack (Dr. John) began as a guitarist and continued to play both guitar and piano (and organ) throughout his career. It's a harmonious concept: the music, which can be simpler harmonically (with lots of room to stretch and vary, even within, say, an eight-bar blues), really needs both keys and guitar, so it's plenty to explore. Good example is B.B. King's album "There Must Be a Better World Somewhere": IIRC, nearly every tune on the album is in Ab, with all kinds of subtle opportunities to change voicings or make slight alterations in the harmony. Yet, there's never any question of this music getting too far out, and losing that nice symbiosis in the chorded instruments.
    Last edited by jackalGreen; 06-17-2023 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

This is interesting to think about. After some reflection, I realize that I have very wide listening interests for specific reasons. I am not drawn to metal, hip-hop, rap, or hard country. I AM drawn to music that contains an element of cleverness, surprise and taste. For example, I absolutely worship George Benson, and Wes, love Jonathan Kreisberg and Jesse Van Fuller, Peter Bernstein, Jim Hall and, of course, Pat Metheny and especially Allan Holdsworth.

For more pop orientation, groups like Level 42, Dirty Loops /Jonah Nilsson, Knower, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, vocalist writers like Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald, Jarle Bernhoft, etc carry that same thread of taste, surprise, fastidious arranging, and use of great players that seems to be the threshold for my listening pleasure.

Bacharach has to be at the top of that list for sheer brilliance... IMO, he brought sophistication to the masses via pop music in much the same way that Metheny did. (If you have not listened to Trinjtje Oosterhuis with the Jazz Metropole Orchestra singing all the great Bacharach hits, do it now and thank me later.)

While not completely studied in Brazilian music, I love what I've discovered through listening to Jobim, Gilberto, (Joao and Astrid), Getz and Wayne Shorter, arriving at Ivan Lins by way of discovering Leo Amuedo on the Sadowsky site years ago... (strange link to a great discovery), Toninho Horta (via Metheny), Chico Pinheiro, Figuerido, Guinga, Nana Caymmi, Dori Caymmi, Elis Regina, Gilberto Gil.... Of course, Sergio Mendes was my gateway drug into Brazilian music in my youth, along with Herb Alpert ( - still love "the Brass" - puts me in a good mood.)

Same thing happens with Blues and Fusion - I worship Robben Ford and Peter Green, could care less for Buddy Guy; Holdsworth, Henderson, Landau and Krantz have it, Dimeola doesn't. (I'm not a fan of tearing down people with obvious talent and dedication, just naming a few names to illustrate.)

Classical - Debussy, Ravel, Copland, Stravinsky, but also Smetana, Holst, Vaughn Williams, Hindemith, Respighi, Elgar, Grofe, Rimsky Korsakov, Borodin... I'm drawn to story tellers.

Guess the summary is, music that stimulates my imagination by telling a story, surprising me, changing my mood is what brings me back... Not sheer technical prowess, intellectual challenge and especially not by following trends. (The ever present use of pop-country vocal melisma with young singers these days makes me nauseous.... Any example of the Star Spangled Banner at a sporting event in the last 15 years is a good example of lame and uncreative herd following by people who might otherwise have useful ability.)

Time to stop, thanks for stimulating this indulgence, it could go on forever.

User Info Menu

I was running errands preparing for a party last Saturday and was listening to Real Jazz on SiriusXM, as usual. I was a bit surprised but what I heard.

It was live from SFJazz but it was a folksy sounding girl trio. It sounded like time travel back to the Woodstock era. I liked the raw sound of the live show with the electric guitar holding way back, and the lead singer interacting with the audience between songs. The group had/has a unique and fresh sound. They're called the T Sisters and are in fact, sisters. I don't know if their studio albums can capture the live sound that I heard last Saturday, but I really liked 'em.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I listen to Latin big band (salsa) on a radio show every Sunday afternoon; Eddie Palmieri, Ray Barretto, etc...The arrangements are very hip, and there's a lot of improvisation.
    I also like the Bossa nova music of the 60s and 70s with music by Manfredo Fest, and other jazz-oriented musicians from Brazil.
    Otherwise, I listen to anything but hip-hop, rap except for Domi and JD Beck.
    What station / time is the show you dig? I'm listening to Bobby Sanabria's show on WBGO right now (Saturdays, 1-3pm PDT)
    Last edited by funkentele; 06-18-2023 at 11:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I still dig the classic rock and 80s new wave & post punk that I grew up on but falling in love with jazz opened my mind to lots of different music to explore.

Romantic era classical and later
    Afro-cuban and Brazilian jazz
    Jamaican / Caribbean: rock steady, reggae, dub
    Electronic: jungle, D&B, house, techno, ambient
    Hip Hop: golden age, alternative, instrumental
    Soul, funk, R&B, doo wop
    African: makossa, rumba, highlife, soukous

On the negative side, pretty much anything heard on commercial radio with special disdain for pop Hip Hop and country.

User Info Menu

I listen to a lot of mid century electric blues (Freddie King lately). I also love the Allmans and a lot of the sort of Americana-country-rock stuff of the last twenty years or so. Jason Isbell, the first couple Amos Lee albums.

I also honestly have a great time listening to Top-40 radio. A few stations around here do a sort of 80s to now thing which is better than the pure top 40 but honestly I think it’s a blast. Good music? Lots isn’t, but some of it is. I’ll listen to Taylor Swift any day of the week.

And to be fair I take it in small doses. My car has Bluetooth so it’s all jazz. But my wife’s car is old and doesn’t so it’s just the radio when I drive that one.