The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 126

User Info Menu

I think he's confusing it with "Get Back".

Which pretty much sums up my musical interests outside jazz - Beatles Just joking.

I also love classic American rock with a folk/country infuence - think the Band, Travelling Wilburys, Los Lobos. Anything from New Orleans and Dr. John in particular.

I like contemporary Classical music a lot - not constantly, but regularly.

I play a lot of classical guitar and find myself going back to the mid-20ct masters, especially Villa-Lobos. However, I don't listen to classical guitar records for pleasure much, mosly for education.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I think he's confusing it with "Get Back".

Which pretty much sums up my musical interests outside jazz - Beatles Just joking.

I also love classic American rock with a folk/country infuence - think the Band, Travelling Wilburys, Los Lobos. Anything from New Orleans and Dr. John in particular.

I like contemporary Classical music a lot - not constantly, but regularly.

I play a lot of classical guitar and find myself going back to the mid-20ct masters, especially Villa-Lobos. However, I don't listen to classical guitar records for pleasure much, mosly for education.
    The Beatles Live on The BBC album was my springboard to R&B.

User Info Menu

Blues, jazz, real country and western minus the bro BS. Soul and RnB not F'ing music. I like Hawaiian steel guitar and some pedal steel driven stuff. My wife listens to a lot of bluegrass. I enjoy the Kody Norris show.

I don't like very much rock music at all and I especially don't like the beatles, pink floyd, and a few other bands every boomer long hair seems to make a religion out of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Oh Radiohead The King of Limbs. Completely under the radar, didn't listen to it when it came out, now I think it may be the perfect Radiohead record. Yazz Ahmed's on that so maybe it's jazz?
    Interesting. I stopped listening to much Radiohead after about the age of 19 (so around 2006) In Rainbows was the last thing of theirs I bought. But I used to be quite a big fan, I may have to investigate The King of Limbs.

User Info Menu

Whenever I'm feeling down, I watch K-Pop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Interesting. I stopped listening to much Radiohead after about the age of 19 (so around 2006) In Rainbows was the last thing of theirs I bought. But I used to be quite a big fan, I may have to investigate The King of Limbs.
    The missus is obsessed with it. It's more boop beep than In Rainbows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    What am I missing? The John Mayer PRS looks just like a Strat to me.
    It's egregious is what it is.

Question: what kinds of music do you listen to besides jazz?-screenshot-2023-04-14-16-28-12-png

The worst thing about it is it probably a better instrument than the equivalent Fenders.

User Info Menu

Besides jazz, I listen to birds singing in the forest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Same here. I go for a 4 - 5 mile hike most days and never bring along any music since I enjoy the sound of birds and overall nature. This surprises many of my friends; E.g. they will say something like "but you're a musician". I'll reply "that is why I don't bring music, I get enough of it during the rest of my day".

As for other kinds of music besides jazz; mostly British invasion music, with most of that being Beatles and Kinks (which is also 90% of the rock I play when I do play rock).
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 04-14-2023 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

^ I also like doing things with quiet. However, on my daily dog walk I always listen to a jazz Hammond pandora station. That way I get some listening on my focus every day.

The styles I like other than jazz are rock and some pop. I like styles besides that but it's usually jazz, rock, or pop.

User Info Menu

Hania Rani.

This piece is sublime.

User Info Menu

My record* collection goes back to the LPs from my parents' 1958 record-club memberships and my personal acquisitions in college. Interest in pop diminished dramatically in the 1970s, though I probably at least recognize the kind of hits/sounds that have become unavoidable. After the 70s, I kept back-filling every category that caught my attention: classical (medieval to c. 1950); jazz (swing-centric, trailing off in hard bop, OK with straight-ahead); every flavor of American and European folk; American-standards singers (especially if they're usually identified by first name/nickname**). Special obsessions: bagpipes, accordions, guitars, violins. (The last three means musette, Hot Club, klezmer, and western swing get a lot of shelf space.) Hawaiian music. String quartets. Haydn. JSB--I think I want one of the cello suites played at my funeral. Also some slack key.

I can't count the numbers of LPs and CDs, but the LP shelving is probably 40-50 running feet and CDs about the same.

* There's a demographic giveaway right there. The midden-heap now consists of LPs, cassettes, reel-to-reels, CDs, MP3s, and live-recorded DATs and Minidiscs. No 8-tracks, though I do have a stack of V-Disk 78s my father liberated from decommissioned ships in 1946. The big challenge is maintaining the playback devices--my reel-to-reel decks need complete overhauls, and I have only one functioning DAT deck and two MD recorders. Format migration is a Necessary Thing.

** Frank, Ella, Tony, Louis, Keely, Rosie, Billie, Sassy. . . . Not to forget instrumentalists: Zoot, Bucky, Django, Steph, Louis (again).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    Wow, nothing later than 1980? What, no Nirvana or Pearl Jam? Joking

95% classical, okay then why are you on a jazz guitar forum, there's no classical guitar forum? Just asking.
    I should have been clearer; none of my classical music is guitar;
    it's violins, oboes, cellos, pianos, orchestras. Bach is the largest
    part of my classical collection. I'm on a jazz forum because I am
    a jazz guitarist who likes hearing what others think and discuss.
    About 1980 was an inflection point when delusion of adequacy
    took hold as an acceptable motivation for the substance of new
    music, whose departure in which I have no interest whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Best answer so far.

User Info Menu

The birds are cool and all but they keep ripping off Messiaen

User Info Menu

I got out of them around In Rainbows. Went back and listened and was quite impressed with both King of Limbs and Moon shaped pool. They were different styles in their trend of never returning to their golden age material but very cohesive as individual albums. King of limbs is for sure boop beep while moon shaped pool is more serene.

User Info Menu

I listen to Latin big band (salsa) on a radio show every Sunday afternoon; Eddie Palmieri, Ray Barretto, etc...The arrangements are very hip, and there's a lot of improvisation.
    I also like the Bossa nova music of the 60s and 70s with music by Manfredo Fest, and other jazz-oriented musicians from Brazil.
    Otherwise, I listen to anything but hip-hop, rap except for Domi and JD Beck.

User Info Menu

metal … carbomb, meshuggah, mastodon, slayer
    contemporary music … Dufourt, Saarhiaho, Torvaldsdottir, Lachenmann
    idm aka autechre, aphex twin

creative music … AACM, Steve Lehman, Matt Mitchell, Tim Berne, Muhal Richard Abrams

everything that kicks ass…
    and of course miles, coltrane, wayne and parker
    Last edited by mheton; 04-14-2023 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Jazz is the huge majority most of the time. But I go back to the music of my youth (90s/00s) often. A lot of "emo" and indie rock like The Get Up Kids, Weezer, and much lesser known bands.

I also listen to a lot of American. Wilco is probably my all time favorite band. And I'm going to see Lukas Nelson next week.

So I listen to a lot of good jazz, bad rock from 25 years ago, and alt country. I'm lame.

EDIT: Listening to jazz is different for me. Listening is the activity...it's hard to have on in the background. When I want to just veg out or when I'm working I'll put on other music. Listening to jazz is an exercise for me that should, conceivably, work hand in hand with the practice time when I'm actually playing. I have a hard time listening to jazz that I love and not getting carried away with it. The other genres don't do that to me.

User Info Menu

I'm 90s/00s too lol.

User Info Menu

I have lots of classical music and I listen quite a lot to music from the second half of the twentieth century to the present day, much of which is modernist - Messiaen, Boulez, Carter, Birtwistle, Ferneyhough, Barrett. But also, my tastes encompass most the history of western music. I also have a fair few CDs of rock, but don't listen much to them these days. I find I can get my hit of rock and jazz in the form of my favourite fusion records. But while cooking often I'll listen to a Beatles record since it is something both me and my mum like, my favourites being Revolver and The White Album. I also love Indian classical music and Indonesian gamelan - I have CDs of musics from a few other non-western countries too. And a few albums of free-improv.
    An American friend who was living in Australia in 1969 brought back a copy of Abbey Road after a trip home to Seattle. I was 8 years old, already playing guitar and classical piano and it was the moment my world went from B&W to technicolour. Their music and the whole narrative surrounding that band still fascinates me.

Two other memorable purchases in my teens were albums of Indian sitar virtuoso, Vilayat Khan and a Nonesuch release of Javanese court gamelan music. As for your composer list, I'm also a big modernist music fan. In fact, at various times during the '80s, I met both Messiaen and Boulez, interviewed Richard Barrett and had dinner and an incredible night of conversation with Brian Ferneyhough!

Classical and Middle Eastern. I love Omer Faruk and Jocelyn Fook. This music transports you to a different place. Very powerful stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Yes, both, but at least forty years ago.
    Well OK, but if you like Stravinsky, why don’t you like these?

We saw Dudamel conduct the latter at the LA Phil, and it was simply spectacular. I mean it when I say - you don’t see that every day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It's egregious is what it is.

Question: what kinds of music do you listen to besides jazz?-screenshot-2023-04-14-16-28-12-png

The worst thing about it is it probably a better instrument than the equivalent Fenders.
    That's not an ugly guitar. *This* is an ugly guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Well OK, but if you like Stravinsky, why don’t you like these?
    But I do.