The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey All. I’m trying to arrange The Chicken for solo 7 string guitar. Does anyone have a lead sheet you’d be willing to share? Please PM me. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One of my favorites to play! Here's a simple lead sheet, but the chords aren't in the right places for the rhythm. You can put them where you want them by matching the chords to the well written rhythm of the line. I hit the Eb7 on the last 8th note of the 4th bar in the head instead of the 1st beat of the 5th bar. I put the D7 on the 4th beat of the 6th bar, and I hit that last Bb7 on the last 8th note of the 12th bar. But playing it solo on a 7, I like to do it in A so I can pop some funky bass.

The Chicken-thechicken-jpg

Thanks, guys!

User Info Menu

There are many backing tracks of this song on Youtube. All much too fast (+100 bpm). The rhythm section is always in a hurry for some reason...
    90 bpm is a nice tempo as demonstrated by Pee Wee Ellis (composer), Maceo Parker, Jaco Pastorious and many others.
    It's a nice song, don't kill the groove by rushing it. You gents obviously play in whatever tempo you see fit. I'm just saying.

User Info Menu

To break the ice, here's a simple take I laid down while practicing today. Mark M asked about it as a solo 7 piece, so that's the first track.

But I wanted a click track to keep me steady, so I decided to create a funk drum track for timing. I like it so much I mixed it into a second track:

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    To break the ice, here's a simple take I laid down while practicing today. Mark M asked about it as a solo 7 piece, so that's the first track.

But I wanted a click track to keep me steady, so I decided to create a funk drum track for timing. I like it so much I mixed it into a second track:

That’s some very nice playing! It’s helpful for me to hear this. I’m a long way from being able to put something like this together. Beautiful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit

Hey Nevershould,
    Very groovy solo playing, that's what I'm talking about. Great! (and a good tempo too, 89 bpm )
    You are more groovy than your static drum machine. It's hard to add a drum track to a guitar track already laid down, but I think this also serves as a demonstration of the powers of a live rhythm section in contrast to a static DAW. The band negotiates a pulse and get into the groove. The DAW can't negotiate anything, it's unreasonable and boring, but you got soul!

I like how this tune works out in A. It gives you a lot more freedom to play lines and still keep the bass line going.