The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    "Ohio" is a protest song and counterculture anthem written and composed by Neil Young in reaction to the Kent State shootings of May 4, 1970, and performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
    It was released as a single, backed with Stephen Stills's "Find the Cost of Freedom”.
    Young wrote the lyrics to "Ohio" after seeing the photos of the incident in Life Magazine.

To all our social justice fighters.
    May you have the strength, the stamina, and the charity to understand and love others, even in the midst of chaos and evil!!!
    Love, peace, and joy to all peoples!!!

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Not bad. I think you play and sing well. But: I think there's too much 'verb on your voice. And it's kind of fast, like you're rushing through it. Lastly, I believe you're playing the wrong chords. (Neil does something like: D, F, C on the verses, where you're doing Am7 C G. So. Perhaps you meant to do those chords as an interpretive choice, but I don't think they work. Hope it's not too harsh! I like your enthusiasm.

(Back in the early 90s I visited a bar in Kent Ohio. This song was on the juke box but the selector for it had been disabled. People weren't allowed to play it anymore because it caused too many heated political arguments and fights.)

User Info Menu

Soldiers are cutting us down...
    I didn't know Neil wrote jazz tunes

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    Not bad. I think you play and sing well. But: I think there's too much 'verb on your voice. And it's kind of fast, like you're rushing through it. Lastly, I believe you're playing the wrong chords. (Neil does something like: D, F, C on the verses, where you're doing Am7 C G. So. Perhaps you meant to do those chords as an interpretive choice, but I don't think they work. Hope it's not too harsh! I like your enthusiasm.
    (Back in the early 90s I visited a bar in Kent Ohio. This song was on the juke box but the selector for it had been disabled. People weren't allowed to play it anymore because it caused too many heated political arguments and fights.)
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi @SedanDelivery2022,
    I am so thankful for the great feedback, I will try the D,F,C progression, as I have always thought the chords I was using are good.
    When I play these songs, I always looks for my "pitch", and try to use my ears as well as the written chords, and simply trust my ears.
    Interpretive choice is a very good description of my playing style, for a lot of my songs, as I change the chords as I see fit.
    Your comments are not too harsh, as I consider them as constructive.
    Wow, I did not think that a jukebox song will be disabled. But now I can see that.
    Thank you, again, for your wonderful comments.
    Love 'em!!!
    With love and respect,
    Rene

Well, I'm a huge Neil Young fan. My s/n comes from a Neil Young song. So I guess I know his music better than most people's music.

Appreciate your spirit! PS You have a lot of guitars, which is your favorite to play?

User Info Menu

I used to play this song when I was a teen ager, playing really terrible rock bands, but we loved jamming on this tune, going full electric, of course. The vocal harmonies of CSNY were really fun to attempt too. I would agree with a couple of the others, you need to double check the lyrics in a few spots. Those of us who grew up with the song can be a little persnickety about that (our problem, really, not yours).