The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
    "A Horse with No Name" is a song by the folk rock band America, written by Dewey Bunnell. It was the band's first and most successful single, released in late 1971. Dewey Bunnell wanted to capture the sensation of the hot, dry desert, as he remembered his childhood travels through the Arizona and New Mexico desert when his family lived at Vandenberg Air Force Base. Bunnell has explained that "A Horse with No Name" was "a metaphor for a vehicle to get away from life's confusion into a quiet, peaceful place".

In the midst of life's confusion, the solace and joy of old friends and beautiful memories always transport people to a state of peaceful bliss!!!

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rene, you seem like a nice guy (w a good voice) but the tunes you post have nothing to do w jazz which might be the reason they don't get much response/feedback here.
    They'd probably best be posted in the "other styles/instruments" sub forum, maybe they'd get more acknowledgement there. Just a suggestion, good luck....

User Info Menu

In the tradition of this forum:
    Awesome
    What model and year is that guitar?
    What pickup are you using?
    Is it solid or laminate?
    Can I get this arrangement in TAB?
    That modal vamp in the bridge, how do you spell that second chord?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Awesome
    Is it solid or laminate?
    And are you in the music store or all these guitars behind you are yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    And are you in the music store or all these guitars behind you are yours?
    That collection alone gives you a permanent place of royalty in these guitar circles.

I've begun transcribing the melody of that tune. It's challenging but as long as I have the changes to match it with, I think I'll be OK.

User Info Menu

Think 1971 was peak major 7th chord on FM radio
    Last edited by BWV; 02-09-2023 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Rene I like the tune and you sound fine. But frankly I would have much more interest in the tune if you were playing it on Super 400 or a real Dangelico. In fact a plain old L5 would work too and I would tune in even more. If you happen to have one of these guitars please do another cut. If you don't have one then simply borrow one from some player. If you live in the neighborhood I would gladly allow you to play it on my L5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Awesome
    Is it solid or laminate?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi Jimmy,
    Thank you for the great feedback.
    This guitar is a Taylor K-14ce, circa 2000. I am not using a pick, just my fingers, solid koa back and sides, spruce top.
    I do apologize, I am not able, or do have the capability/capacity to transcribe in TAB.
    This second chord is spelled D/F#, but I am not strumming the high E and B strings. Kinda cheating, hahahahaha.
    I discovered this chord by simply playing along with some old friends way back, maybe 40 years ago, and I love the sound with this tune.
    Thanks for your engagement and support, @Jimmy blue note !!!
    Love and respect,
    Rene

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Somehow, I just don't think that tune will ever become a jazz standard, though I will admit that improvising over those two changes might be harder to do well in some ways, than improvising over the changes to "All The Things You Are".