The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2023 will be Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach, 1933).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in. Will start investigating this tune tomorrow.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's what I'm going to use as changes. Same key as Monk above, but all similarities end there. Got a few chuckles out of that version, hard not to smile when listening to that.

February 2023 - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes-smoke-gets-you-eyes-jpg

User Info Menu

Very approachable guitar solo on this Artie Shaw version. Along with harpsichord?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Got a few chuckles out of the Monk version, hard not to smile when listening to that.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 02-02-2023 at 01:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Very approachable guitar solo on this Artie Shaw version. Along with harpsichord?
    Wtflol

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I didn't realize the backing track was 10 minutes long until I started recording over it. I liked this one best of those on YT, so I put it into Audacity and shortened it. There were no good spots in which to cut and splice it, as I had to take out 2 full forms. To avoid an audible transition at each splice, I had to fade the last 1/4 second or so of the first segment out, fade in the second one, overlap the fades with the timing in alignment, then cut and join them both at the right spot leaving the waveform continuous. The timing is a hair off, which is just enough to mar my playing against the beat a tiny bit in a few spots. It's not awful, but if you listen it's there. Sorry!

I'll work up a solo version before March

[Edit]Sorry about the popping and stuttering, too. I thought & hoped it was just from monitoring during the recording, but it’s obviously on the final track.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 02-02-2023 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I got the computer demons under control, so I thought I'd lay down a different kind of take. I wondered how this tune would sound at a moderate swing tempo, So I sped up the backing track and had a shot at it. Another lesson learned: when you speed up the backing track from a ballad, it gets a little cluttered - so less is more.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm just getting this in under the wire. I chose a slow tempo and I must say it gave me some trouble, but I wanted to git er done. As usual, questions, comments and criticisms are welcome.

User Info Menu

Every time I see 'alpop' I always envisage some wizened grandad trying his best... then I see you and there you are, a thoroughly robust young fellow!

I liked that a lot, your stuff's always musical and well thought out. Those little blues sounds were lovely. If I have one niggle it's that your playing tends to be rather cautious. I'm always thinking 'just relax and let it rip a bit!'.

Not that I can talk. My ghastly pride won't let me post stuff with mistakes in it so I tend to wear myself out getting a version that just gets through it safely. And, of course, by that time all spontaneity's gone. So don't listen to me :-)

Anyway, nice, I enjoyed it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Every time I see 'alpop' I always envisage some wizened grandad trying his best... then I see you and there you are, a thoroughly robust young fellow!

I liked that a lot, your stuff's always musical and well thought out. Those little blues sounds were lovely. If I have one niggle it's that your playing tends to be rather cautious. I'm always thinking 'just relax and let it rip a bit!'.

Not that I can talk. My ghastly pride won't let me post stuff with mistakes in it so I tend to wear myself out getting a version that just gets through it safely. And, of course, by that time all spontaneity's gone. So don't listen to me :-)

Anyway, nice, I enjoyed it

Hey, thanks for listening, and your comment about being cautious is spot on and appreciated as constructive criticism.

I was quite aware while I was recording, that 4 minutes of music is a long time to sustain without a major clam.

Looking forward to digging in to another tune next month.