The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This video includes some visual experimentation with multiple cameras. Does anyone care about that stuff? I guess I do because video "performances" have fully replaced the live performing I used to do so much of for so many years, and I try to get the visual and sonic quality of these as good as possible. Life's twists and turns, aye?, but throughout it all... here's my take on "My One and Only Love". Please enjoy and have a great day!
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 01-14-2023 at 07:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really beautiful fluid transitions between free, structured and original inspired composition (improvisation). Nice soft transitions visually too. What software do you use to do those fades?
    I have to say that personally, I look at videos as an experience unto themselves, different from a live performance, but there are some things that engage me in a live performance and I look for those things in a video experience. It's a balance.
    One of the things I like about live shows is I get to be the "director" so if something is particularly interesting in the music, or particularly intriguing about the way the performer is moving harmony on the instrument, my attention is riveted on the player's kinesthetics or the movement of the hand. When I'm watching that way, I don't experience a "change in perspective", and in a video, it's personally distracting and somewhat detracting. But if I were less engaged, I'd find the multiple shots a welcome relief.
    Yes, there is a good philosophical discussion here, Mark. How many ways can one performance be perceived?
    I love your playing. The visuals do your playing justice. Thanks for the fresh take on one of my favourites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Really beautiful fluid transitions between free, structured and original inspired composition (improvisation). Nice soft transitions visually too. What software do you use to do those fades?
    I have to say that personally, I look at videos as an experience unto themselves, different from a live performance, but there are some things that engage me in a live performance and I look for those things in a video experience. It's a balance.
    One of the things I like about live shows is I get to be the "director" so if something is particularly interesting in the music, or particularly intriguing about the way the performer is moving harmony on the instrument, my attention is riveted on the player's kinesthetics or the movement of the hand. When I'm watching that way, I don't experience a "change in perspective", and in a video, it's personally distracting and somewhat detracting. But if I were less engaged, I'd find the multiple shots a welcome relief.
    Yes, there is a good philosophical discussion here, Mark. How many ways can one performance be perceived?
    I love your playing. The visuals do your playing justice. Thanks for the fresh take on one of my favourites.
    Thanks for watching, and your thoughts about video production touch on so much of what I’ve been wondering about. There’s got to be a technological way that someone watching could take control of the camera mix and see it through their own producer’s eye-sit behind the console so to speak. Probably not a wide market for such a thing to scale it for commercial availability.

Ironically, I’m completely non-visual when I’m playing. My eyes are closed 99% of the time and my visual center in the brain is mostly shut off. I don’t see sounds in colors. I don’t visualize the fretboard or notes in a page. No geometric shapes. Funny thing though, now that I say that, I do distinctly recall experiencing those visualizations in my past. As a younger player I definitely had a visual fretboard in my mind- the notes would light up (I wonder if I could still do that??). The older I’ve become, the less that happened and now I think it’s completely gone. When I play, there’s nothing but sound vibration all around me. It’s very singular. Hmmmm, I should give a shit about the video at all then, really, when you come down to it.

User Info Menu

Cool! I'd been working with different ways of processing information and how development of evolving musicality is centred in an evolving set of parts of the brain. At the beginning, as we gain physical mastery of the instrument, there is a lot of ordering and prioritizing of information. Our concepts are more concrete (scales, arpeggios, visualization, TAB, notation, transcription) and in the visual arts, these correspond to learning forms, spacial relationships and line control. As an artist progresses from the familiar to the abstract, a larger conceptual approach can develop in some, away from the forms of structure, from the known to the unknown. This is learning to hear and being guided by aural cues rather than visual. In the graphic arts, this is learning to "see" with the right side of the brain.
    When I worked with Mick, this was the basis for a new fresh approach to improvisation we used with some more developed students he had looking for a way out of patterned thinking. Look less, see more. Hear more, play less.
    Still ongoing, he's gone now but this exploration of improvisation from the balance of form to the abstract is very much ongoing.
    Cool.

Truly beautiful guitar playing.
    Your slides are so smooth, and the tone is so heavenly!!!
    You are a very skilled and gifted player and artist!!!
    Thanks for this beautiful recording.
    Rene

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Asologuitar
    Truly beautiful guitar playing.
    Your slides are so smooth, and the tone is so heavenly!!!
    You are a very skilled and gifted player and artist!!!
    Thanks for this beautiful recording.
    Rene
    Thanks YOU for listening and commenting!!