The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A singer called Lover Man yesterday and said it had a verse and she could sing it. She said she had heard it on a Billie Holiday recording.
    I thought I could easily find that recording and figure out the chords but I can't find a Billie Holiday recording with this verse.
    I found: studio recording from 1944, live with Duke Ellington band 1945, live with Count Baise band 1954, live recording from 1958.

I also briefly checked if I'd find a recording sung by someone else but no success.

I did find this preview of sheet for sale, which does have this verse, so I can learn it, but I'm still curious if anyone knows of a recording which has this verse?
    (I did text the singer today to ask if she had more info, but she doesn't find it either, but she gave me the lyrics from memory which helped finding this sheet)
    Lover Man recording that includes the verse?-screenshot-2023-01-13-15-59-29-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't find one either having trawled all the greats plus a lot of female artists I've never heard of! But I am wondering why it's so important that your singer sings the verse? No one else does, presumably because it doesn't matter very much.

But, if she's set on it, why not just take it off the music you've found? It's in F, it certainly doesn't look difficult, and whatever version she comes up with, let's face it, no one is going to be able to compare her with anybody else :-)

Thanks a lot for spending the time searching.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But I am wondering why it's so important that your singer sings the verse?
    It's not at all important.
    The singer was not insisting or demanding or anything like that.

She just mentioned it could be an option to do it later if we were interested, and we were. I really like Billie Holiday so I also got curious to hear how she had sung this.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    why not just take it off the music you've found? It's in F, it certainly doesn't look difficult
    Quote Originally Posted by orri
    I did find this preview of sheet for sale, which does have this verse, so I can learn it, but I'm still curious if anyone knows of a recording which has this verse?
    In other words I can surely play from the sheet but in my experience I often find listening to recordings from great artists to be both inspiring and enjoyable.
    Last edited by orri; 01-13-2023 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, we can't have everything :-)