The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

somebody knows the chord progression of "Daahoud" by Clifford Brown?

I know that it has different chord progression for the theme and the solo section.
    because i heard the version of Andy Laverne and in the A section at bars 5 and 6 he uses this chords:

A half diminished - D7b9 - Abm7 - Db7

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    Hello everyone,

I know that it has different chord progression for the theme and the solo section.
    because i heard the version of Andy Laverne and in the A section at bars 5 and 6 he uses this chords:

This is a very hip version...but maybe not where I'd learn the tune from...I hear the bass going from D to G on the first two chords...but the melody is clearly in the same key as the original...above my pay grade!!

The original with Max Roach is pretty easy to follow, and you can hear the "head chords" versus the "blowing chords" better.

But man, this version is great, I get why you're into it!

User Info Menu

Yeah, cool version! You're right - there are a few different changes in the head and blowing sections (with a lot more sus chords in LaVerne's take).

The best source for Clifford Brown's tunes is jazzleadsheets.com run by trumpeter/arranger Don Sickler and his wife Maureen. A whole bunch of composers are represented on the site. Just sticking with the 'B's these include Kenny Burrell, the subject of a another thread at the moment and Peter Bernstein. In most cases, the lead sheets have been written in collaboration with the composers themselves or their estate. All the 'hits' and accents have been added as well.

Daahoud | jazzleadsheets.com by Second Floor Music

Hello everyone,

So no one could help me?

User Info Menu

So no one could help me?
    Well, I think it does come down to-- do you want to learn Daahoud-- or this specific version?

User Info Menu

I just pulled this off google. This is the version I have used before and I think the chords are pretty faithful to the original.
    Daahoud by Clifford Brown-daahoud-jpg

User Info Menu

So no one could help me?
    I helped you by providing a link to the offical sheet music source. If you're not happy paying $1.50, then I'd have guessed you weren't that keen for the information. Back in the day, students thought nothing of driving 100 miles each week for a guitar lesson or in the Beatles' case, taking a bus to the other side of the city to learn a chord shape!

For what it's worth ($1.50!), the transcription found by setemupjoe is correct, give or take the occasional enharmonic respelling.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

I play with a student of AL's. He tells his students, "After a few years of lessons with me, you'll be banned from every club in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I play with a student of AL's. He tells his students, "After a few years of lessons with me, you'll be banned from every club in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    I just pulled this off google. This is the version I have used before and I think the chords are pretty faithful to the original.
    Daahoud by Clifford Brown-daahoud-jpg

Thank you man!

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I helped you by providing a link to the offical sheet music source. If you're not happy paying $1.50, then I'd have guessed you weren't that keen for the information. Back in the day, students thought nothing of driving 100 miles each week for a guitar lesson or in the Beatles' case, taking a bus to the other side of the city to learn a chord shape!

For what it's worth ($1.50!), the transcription found by setemupjoe is correct, give or take the occasional enharmonic respelling.
    ok thank you. I just found this version more interesting but if you want to give me the link of the original score that's fine too.