The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

alpop -

He liked your C thing so much he bought the...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    alpop -

Nice!

I like where the melody sits on the guitar in that key. Main riff is present but still beefy.

Now I better get to work on mine! ETA next week if real life allows.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Thanks for posting, enjoyed that!

Your hard work, talent and experience are really evident in the ease with which you play.

Mr. Sunnybass right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Mr. Sunnybass right?
    Yes it is. Thanks so much for the kind words. When the Virtual Jam fell apart, someone suggested Practical Standards as an alternative. So I’m here and using the same “just play it” approach on which the VJ was based. I tried a few new things in this one, like I did in VJ. They won’t always work, but I hope they’re fun to hear.

User Info Menu

Yes it is. Thanks so much for the kind words. When the Virtual Jam fell apart, someone suggested Practical Standards as an alternative. So I’m here and using the same “just play it” approach on which the VJ was based. I tried a few new things in this one, like I did in VJ. They won’t always work, but I hope they’re fun to hear.
    It was very nice.

User Info Menu

When the Virtual Jam fell apart, someone suggested Practical Standards as an alternative.
    That was me, and I'm glad you've come over. The others, if they really miss playing tunes, should be here too. Unless they turn their noses up at tunes not written by Miles or Coltrane and are displaying musical elitism!

Your clip just shows that these older tunes are in no way inferior to the modern stuff. They might be older but they don't have to sound old, as you've so neatly demonstrated.

User Info Menu

Here's a 2nd try, I wasn't happy with the 1st. The good news is I'm feeling more fluid with my single note soloing. Scales, arps, intervals, chromatics is the ticket. Now I need to work more on my feel and cockpit management.

User Info Menu

That one's a lot clearer, Jimmy. Swings along nicely :-)

User Info Menu

This was nice. If it were me, listening critically:

• Good time feel, the most important thing (and the most frustratingly lacking concept on this forum)
    • Notes are good, reflect the changes, no wrong notes or obvious mistakes
    • Could use more rhythmic variation - too many eighth note triplets, in many places sounds like an exercise
    • Could use more space
    • Needs more organization - from time to time: develop a theme, put phrases in logical call and response structure, use 4 bar structures, use short melodic or rhythmic fragments. For example, I would like to have heard the descending 3rds you started with taken much further.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Here's a 2nd try, I wasn't happy with the 1st. The good news is I'm feeling more fluid with my single note soloing. Scales, arps, intervals, chromatics is the ticket. Now I need to work more on my feel and cockpit management.

Comments. Again, as though I were critiquing my own playing:
    • Good sound, good time during melody and simpler parts of solo
    • The first A section of the solo is exactly what I mean in my prior comment about structure. Take a phrase, repeat it a bit differently, logical antecedent/consequent structure.
    • After that you start to lose the thread - no reason not to keep the same phrase or approach for the entire chorus.
    • Time feel gets pretty stiff, as you note above. Sounds like you hear it.

User Info Menu

alpop -

Comments:
    • Good understanding of structure in certain parts of solo, esp beginning
    • Time needs work - doesn't matter how good the notes or ideas are, if not in time, that is what sticks out
    • Feel needs work too - macro level: lots of slamming the downbeat with a quarter note, stiff rhythmic figures like [quarter eighth eighth] repeated, micro level: swing is "heavy" - a softer "lilt" would be better. Relative emphasis on long/short eighth note volume and duration needs to be tweaked.
    • Note choice is fine - sometimes feels like you repeat notes to fill the space. Strive for clarity and focus in your ideas.

User Info Menu

That one's a lot clearer, Jimmy. Swings along nicely :-)
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    Comments. Again, as though I were critiquing my own playing:
    • Good sound, good time during melody and simpler parts of solo
    • The first A section of the solo is exactly what I mean in my prior comment about structure. Take a phrase, repeat it a bit differently, logical antecedent/consequent structure.
    • After that you start to lose the thread - no reason not to keep the same phrase or approach for the entire chorus.
    • Time feel gets pretty stiff, as you note above. Sounds like you hear it.
    Thanks for your input. Yeah I feel I've reached a goal of playing adequately. I think the next goal is improving the time feel to where it's more inspirational instead of pretty good or ok with some weak areas. As far as soloing, I know how to sequence phrases but I also like the sound of a continuous stream. If you listen, many solos are that way. I did punctuate sections though.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I posted my first take a few hours before playing my regular Thursday night trio gig, and I record all our gigs for quality control. As usual, the first thing I did when we got to the stand was ask what tunes my colleagues wanted to play in our first set. Both the drummer and the bass player called S'Wonderful for our medium tempo warmup tune! It's rarely called on a gig, so I hadn't played it for a long, long time before that afternoon. I still had the ascending whole tone run and the line from Exactly Like You in my mind from recording it a few hours before. So I used variants of them as my starting point. Being asked to play an obscure old tune twice in one day must be a sign - but of what, I still don't know

These are informal sets with many regulars in the audience, so we all try new things. I'm working on picking more lightly and consistently and staying between the pickup and the end of the fingerboard for a more mellow tone. So I'm holding the pick between thumb and index finger with a pinkie rest on the pickguard, which is a new position for me. I think I like it, although I caught myself with the pick on the bridge side of the pickup and between thumb and index + middle fingers more than a few times. I decided to post this take too, in the hope that some find it interesting, entertaining etc.

User Info Menu

Here's one with more direction and less wandering.

User Info Menu

Sounds good with the lush chords and good timing. Would sound better without the looper! Can you track it all in a daw or na?

User Info Menu

I agree about the looper. Time to dig out the Portastudio again.

User Info Menu

Gilberto and others play this as a bossa. It's quite tricky.

User Info Menu

Er... if you're in here and posting what's the problem?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Here's one with more direction and less wandering.

It's great to have another participant! I will be posting something hopefully this week. Are you open to comments or discussion about your submission?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    It's great to have another participant! I will be posting something hopefully this week. Are you open to comments or discussion about your submission?
    Yes, I'm open to feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Yes, I'm open to feedback.
    Okay cool. There are two things IMO that would improve your version.

1.) I would play the rhythm straight quarter notes, or use the "Charleston" rhythm. I found the rhythm you played to be distracting and maybe mixed too loud.

2.) It sounds like you don't really know the melody in the B section. What I would do is learn the lyrics and that would give you a sense of where to place those notes.

I am always happy when people put themselves out there and post their playing, and recording yourself is a huge tool for improving. Keep it up!

User Info Menu

Thank you, I agree with everything. I was eager to get something up, if I wait to get it perfect I'd never post anything.

User Info Menu

Here's my submission finally. Two times through. Hilarious, you can see the panic in my fingers just before the end of the tune. lol

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome.