The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm trying to scheme what would be a good way to make a short arrangement where I play the tune less than head-solo-head but get some solo in rather than only once thru the head. Expecially for ballads where head solo head takes forever.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sometimes on a ballad, I start with a chorus of improv and finish with the head.

User Info Menu

You hardly need to play the melody at all, if your solo is good enough. e.g. Coleman Hawkins - Body and Soul; Charlie Parker - Bird of Paradise (= All the things you are). Or just refer to the melody here and there but weave your improv stuff around it. (That’s probably quite a good exercise to do anyway!)

If you listen to e.g. Lester Young or Ben Webster, they are very good at playing so freely with the melody that it becomes a kind of solo.

Also you don’t have to repeat the whole head again - for an AABA form ballad, only repeat the melody on the very last A, for example.

^ That's true, I have heard them do that. That would be a good authentic format to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sometimes on a ballad, I start with a chorus of improv and finish with the head.
    That's a good idea, I think I've done that before.

User Info Menu

Depends on the form and the specific tune.

AABA.

Often twice through. Play the head. Then DC to solo for the first part of the head. Then play the melody for the rest of the head. That's like a singer coming back in for the bridge and last A.

Another possibility is leaving out the second A on the head-out.

Also a good idea and observation. I can use all 3 of these.

User Info Menu

Sometimes people play improv on the bridge, even on the first time through, I’ve heard that quite often. Some tunes don’t have an especially memorable melody on the B section anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sometimes people play improv on the bridge, even on the first time through, I’ve heard that quite often. Some tunes don’t have an especially memorable melody on the B section anyway.
    Did Jimmy Raney ever play a B section?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Skipping the head entirely is also fine - I do this a lot with my trio. Improvising a new head over the changes is lot of fun and a great challenge. We often do this when playing a warm-up tune before bringing out our vocalist. Last week it was a very up tempo Autumn Leaves and the week before it was Here's That Rainy Day as a ballad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I'm trying to scheme what would be a good way to make a short arrangement where I play the tune less than head-solo-head but get some solo in rather than only once thru the head. Expecially for ballads where head solo head takes forever.
    Many performers play the head but adjust that head with their own embellishments. Nothing wrong with that. It's not the same as playing the head badly or wrongly. In fact, it's quite a skill.

User Info Menu

Hey Graham, you're probably one of the few people here who would appreciate this. I ran into Dick Morrissey's son on another forum.
    He's a guitar player who's into various styles of rock!
    I mentioned that you saw him at The Bull's Head, and that he bought you a drink, and had a nice conversation with you.
    He said he wasn't surprised, because his father was quite bashful and appreciative of his fans.

He used to meet Terry Smith every Sunday afternoon, when he and Dick used to go out for walks in the park. He said Terry was his dad's closest friend.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I didn’t know Dick had a son who plays guitar. Also didn’t know that Dick and Terry Smith were close, although it doesn’t surprise me, I think all those guys knew each other well. They all lived in or near London, they were always playing at Ronnies or in the pubs locally.

All friendly guys too, we were always seeing them at pub gigs in Croydon - Dick, Terry, Jim Mullen, Dick Pearce - you could always have a chat with them at the bar, over a pint.

Great memories...often saw them at The Gun, alas ‘tis no more.
    Attached Images Attached Images Arrangement ideas?-a32341a6-6d65-4bd5-9584-91bf3464cf7c-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Thanks, I didn’t know Dick had a son who plays guitar. Also didn’t know that Dick and Terry Smith were close, although it doesn’t surprise me, I think all those guys knew each other well. They all lived in or near London, they were always playing at Ronnies or in the pubs locally.

All friendly guys too, we were always seeing them at pub gigs in Croydon - Dick, Terry, Jim Mullen, Dick Pearce - you could always have a chat with them at the bar, over a pint.

Great memories...often saw them at The Gun, alas ‘tis no more.
    He sent me this link to If in 1971 at Liverpool University. They were maniacs!