The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK, back up at 5:45 and into the home studio for more compulsive explorations of this thing we call "jazz guitar". This is me trying to reacquaint myself with playing the tune "Yesterdays" at something resembling medium up tempo. Now I know I could put on a metronome and actually "practice" this thing called time. Maybe I should, maybe I've said too much

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lovely as always Mark.

What made you go into the solo guitar direction and can you give a brief explanation of your development timeline? Ie when you started, interesting gigs, lessons that you found beneficial etc.

Thank you

User Info Menu

What is this thing called time? It seems to me that somebody wrote a tune about that way back when.

You really rocked out with that up tempo effort.

Seriously, I always enjoy your explorations.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Lovely as always Mark.

What made you go into the solo guitar direction and can you give a brief explanation of your development timeline? Ie when you started, interesting gigs, lessons that you found beneficial etc.

Thank you
    We all play “solo guitar” from the moment we pick up the instrument. In order for it to sound tolerable in the beginning we have to lean on others like bass and drums. Piano is nice to make comping for us, horns are nice when they can play the lines so we can comp. Over time these crutches can be let go and the guitar can stand on its own- - a complete orchestra. Independent. It’s the ability to play solo was always there but when the Covid pandemic put us into isolation-ONLY solo playing was possible and now nearly 3 years in I’m finding it very satisfying still.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    What is this thing called time? It seems to me that somebody wrote a tune about that way back when.

You really rocked out with that up tempo effort.

Seriously, I always enjoy your explorations.

Tony
    Thanks very much Tony!

User Info Menu

Yes, you are right Mark. We all play solo guitar with often times with support from others.
    My story is one of detour. When I was younger I figured out a nice solo version of Killing Me Softly and thought that maybe I should focus on that style of playing. At the time I was in the local blues/rock scene so didn't play that way again for years.
    Now I've a nice 2 hour set list that I play around. It's basically arrangements with a bit of improv but from those early days I always knew that the ultimate challenge was the solo guitar set, guitar plugged into amp without any supports such as loopers etc.
    I finally got Covid after three years so here's a little bit that I played yesterday. Feeling a bit better today.