The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's bugging me. Just heard a 'mystery' standard on the radio. Can't quite place it. I'm sure I've played it many times in a trad band.
    Not sure of key but in F, say, the chords would be:
    F///F///A7///A7///
    Dm///Dm///Cm7///F7///
    Bb/// etc
    32 bar strain.
    Any ideas please!
    TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    It's bugging me. Just heard a 'mystery' standard on the radio. Can't quite place it. I'm sure I've played it many times in a trad band.
    F///F///A7///A7///
    Dm///Dm///Cm7///F7///
    Bb/// etc
    32 bar strain.
    Any ideas please!
    TIA

frim Wikipedia: "Confirmation" is a partial contrafact of the 1944 song "Twilight Time" by Al Nevins and Buck Ram. Both pieces use an "AABA" thirty-two bar form, and the "A" sections of "Confirmation" closely match the harmonic progression of "Twilight Time." For the "B" section, Parker wrote his own chord changes that depart significantly from those of the "B" section of "Twilight Time."[2]

User Info Menu

Changes are so typical... sounds like many songs of doo-wop era (Twilght time, Only You).
    It is more like a 'gospel/soul' turnaround

But I can't think of any jazz standard that fits that pattern completely.

Tunes that start from I - VII7... there are not so many of them in trad jazz.
    What comes to my mind is Georgia, All of Me, All The Way, I'll Be Seeing You, Someday My Prince Will Come... but further on they all have different changes. All the Way is the closest probably

Just found it on YouTube. Title unknown.

User Info Menu

Sounds like such a generic dixieland))) No wonder it is called 'Uknown'
    Could be just changes with collective improvization

Reminds me this Woody Allen tune too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    F///F///A7///A7///
    Dm///Dm///Cm7///F7///
    Bb/// etc
    32 bar strain.
    Any ideas please!
    TIA
    Every single site (about 4 or 5 so far) with details about this album lists that track as 'Unknown'. Maybe they just threw it together for the album. I'm sure if it had a title they'd have used it.

When you played it many times in a trad band what happened? Did someone say 'Let's play Unknown' and you all knew what it was? Sounds a bit strange to me.