The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Though I can only speak for myself, I suspect that at least some here besides me are not old enough to have been musically aware when these old tunes that later had jazz interpretations were commonly heard on the radio. I am finding that digging out these tunes in that original form can be not only entertaining, but an education.

Joe Pass once commented that he played the songs of his generation, the songs he heard all the time on the radio growing up, and that we should do likewise. He could hear these tunes in his head in their original form just as those of my generation can hear the Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, etc. Many of those tunes don't really lend themselves to the chord melody playing that interests me. There are Beatles tunes and maybe some ballads that were Top 40 when I was growing up, but in general, many of tunes from that era don't work nearly as well as those of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s.

I found a youtube channel, Conceptually Yours (Conceptually Yours - YouTube), that provides some wonderful playlists of the kinds of tunes I am referring to. They have collections from later eras too, but my current focus is on the older material. I have been listening to these with the intention of becoming very familiar with them in their original form, and have been enjoying the process. This music is so peaceful and relaxing, and when I decide to do a chord melody arrangement of a tune, I have a much better understanding of that tune in the same way I do of the tunes I grew up with. Another benefit is that when I listen to, say, a Joe Pass solo performance, I can much better hear what is going on, follow the melody amidst all those notes.

It may well be that what I have said here applies only to me and everybody else around here really does know these tunes as they were commonly heard as pop tunes in their day. If that is not the case, then maybe this post will be helpful to some here.

I could have listened at least some of these tunes on Lawrence Welk when I was growing up, but at the time, I had no interest in my parents' music, so now I have to back fill my own exposure and enjoyment of this music. Fortunately, I am learning to really enjoy this music so that it becomes much more than just some framework on which to hang my guitar aspirations.

Tony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am German and born in 1966. These tunes were never in the radio, not even my parents‘.

I guess that accounts for most European jazz. It was always an art music, never a community music.

And no, you’re not alone on this forum, even if some act as if they had really heard these tunes on the radio in their youth… those who have are a hundred years old now.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The music on the radio when I was growing up was mostly pretty bad. I listened to it because it was what was available, but I never liked it much. Back then AM was the only radio available, and few people where we lived had TVs, because we were so far from any TV station that seeing anything through the snow on the screen was difficult. It required 50 - 100' towers with massive antennas to get reception. But 50,000 watt AM radio stations could be heard at night, and I could get Chicago, Nashville, and sometimes New Orleans stations, and of course the stations on the south bank of the Rio Grande, which had no power limitations. Those broadcast little music though, mostly ads and cultish religion. But sometimes good music could be heard. My parents had lots of 78rpm records, swing mostly, but a lot of Goodman sextet and septet recordings. That was what I listened to when I was very young, and what I still like today. I never even tried to learn to play any rock music. I just had no interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The music on the radio when I was growing up was mostly pretty bad. I listened to it because it was what was available, but I never liked it much. Back then AM was the only radio available, and few people where we lived had TVs, because we were so far from any TV station that seeing anything through the snow on the screen was difficult. It required 50 - 100' towers with massive antennas to get reception. But 50,000 watt AM radio stations could be heard at night, and I could get Chicago, Nashville, and sometimes New Orleans stations, and of course the stations on the south bank of the Rio Grande, which had no power limitations. Those broadcast little music though, mostly ads and cultish religion. But sometimes good music could be heard. My parents had lots of 78rpm records, swing mostly, but a lot of Goodman sextet and septet recordings. That was what I listened to when I was very young, and what I still like today. I never even tried to learn to play any rock music. I just had no interest in it.
    You were wise in your youth (and probably still are). As I have become more and more familiar with the music from my parents' time, I have started slowly realizing my generation was musically short-changed with the pounding and distortion, and finally rhythm, taking over anything remotely musical. with real melody, song structure, and decent lyrics. It is no wonder that the standards are hat we turn to for chord melody and even for those who want to "solo over changes".

Tony

User Info Menu

Look in the Internet Archive for AFRS disks. Those were pre-produced radio shows from the Armed Forces Radio Service for broadcast for the troops overseas from the time of WWII and the years after. To be honest I am not a fan of armies and military but there are some nice music programs, either 78s presented by a host or live bands.

When I was a teenager there was still AFN in Germany. I would listen to the classic rock shows in the evening and every Thursday there was the BB King Blues Hour.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Though I can only speak for myself, I suspect that at least some here besides me are not old enough to have been musically aware when these old tunes that later had jazz interpretations were commonly heard on the radio. I am finding that digging out these tunes in that original form can be not only entertaining, but an education.

Joe Pass once commented that he played the songs of his generation, the songs he heard all the time on the radio growing up, and that we should do likewise. He could hear these tunes in his head in their original form just as those of my generation can hear the Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, etc. Many of those tunes don't really lend themselves to the chord melody playing that interests me. There are Beatles tunes and maybe some ballads that were Top 40 when I was growing up, but in general, many of tunes from that era don't work nearly as well as those of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s.

I found a youtube channel, Conceptually Yours (Conceptually Yours - YouTube), that provides some wonderful playlists of the kinds of tunes I am referring to. They have collections from later eras too, but my current focus is on the older material. I have been listening to these with the intention of becoming very familiar with them in their original form, and have been enjoying the process. This music is so peaceful and relaxing, and when I decide to do a chord melody arrangement of a tune, I have a much better understanding of that tune in the same way I do of the tunes I grew up with. Another benefit is that when I listen to, say, a Joe Pass solo performance, I can much better hear what is going on, follow the melody amidst all those notes.

It may well be that what I have said here applies only to me and everybody else around here really does know these tunes as they were commonly heard as pop tunes in their day. If that is not the case, then maybe this post will be helpful to some here.

I could have listened at least some of these tunes on Lawrence Welk when I was growing up, but at the time, I had no interest in my parents' music, so now I have to back fill my own exposure and enjoyment of this music. Fortunately, I am learning to really enjoy this music so that it becomes much more than just some framework on which to hang my guitar aspirations.

Tony
    Maybe similar?
    When I want to learn a tune (mostly Great American songbook) I always find the original version of the song from way back when, and save it to a folder on my laptop.
    For several reasons. One of the main ones is to get the original melody. If I can't find the original (first) tune I'll get a Sinatra or Tony Bennett version, they usually stay very close to the original melody.

Later, once I've got the original melody internalized I can listen to Sarah Vaughn or Billie Holiday if I wanna hear some creative variations on the time or delivery.

Then I find and save the definitive version of the tune, i.e. the one that was "the hit" or is the one that everyone thinks of when they hear the name of the song. Many times the hit is the 4th or 5th cover of a tune that gets popular for who knows what reason.

Then maybe a couple "guitarist-ic" versions that I like. Joe Pass, etc.

Once I know the melody I can listen to all the remakes and see how they re-harmonized it or whatever they did to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Look in the Internet Archive for AFRS disks. Those were pre-produced radio shows from the Armed Forces Radio Service for broadcast for the troops overseas from the time of WWII and the years after. To be honest I am not a fan of armies and military but there are some nice music programs, either 78s presented by a host or live bands.

When I was a teenager there was still AFN in Germany. I would listen to the classic rock shows in the evening and every Thursday there was the BB King Blues Hour.
    Thanks for the tip. I looked them up and was able to download discs 4 - 8, and will give them a listen.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    Maybe similar?
    When I want to learn a tune (mostly Great American songbook) I always find the original version of the song from way back when, and save it to a folder on my laptop.
    For several reasons. One of the main ones is to get the original melody. If I can't find the original (first) tune I'll get a Sinatra or Tony Bennett version, they usually stay very close to the original melody.

Later, once I've got the original melody internalized I can listen to Sarah Vaughn or Billie Holiday if I wanna hear some creative variations on the time or delivery.

Then I find and save the definitive version of the tune, i.e. the one that was "the hit" or is the one that everyone thinks of when they hear the name of the song. Many times the hit is the 4th or 5th cover of a tune that gets popular for who knows what reason.

Then maybe a couple "guitarist-ic" versions that I like. Joe Pass, etc.

Once I know the melody I can listen to all the remakes and see how they re-harmonized it or whatever they did to it.
    Your approach makes good sense. I find too that learning the melody by ear from a vocal recording seems to stick better than trying to memorize out of a fakebook. I can always transpose it so it fits better on the guitar if needed.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    You were wise in your youth (and probably still are). As I have become more and more familiar with the music from my parents' time, I have started slowly realizing my generation was musically short-changed with the pounding and distortion, and finally rhythm, taking over anything remotely musical. with real melody, song structure, and decent lyrics.
    I don't know what generation you're from but I don't think my generation had it as bad as the current generation with its electro-synth, perfect/only-rythm covers of so many of the songs I grew up with.

I must have gotten my 1st stereo tuner when I was about 13 (*after* a record player) but I had a mono FM/AM radio/cassette-recorder that had a pretty decent sound. I think I mostly listened to the national "pop" station, which remained my main station until my late teens early 20s when I started listening to pretty much only early music. Note however that the Dutch radio stations are in fact thematic frequencies where the various broadcasting corporations share antenna-time; this increases variation on a single station.
    Before all that I had old tube-radios that probably didn't receive FM at all (and I regret now having disassembled); I remember finding it quite fun to listen to AFN, the American Forces Network.

Decent lyrics though .... pretty tall order if 99.99% of the texts are love songs...