The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone up for a little harmonic analysis? And, can you explain it to me like a toddler? The song itself is only 8 measures long but I start getting confused about half way through. The first half makes sense to me. It looks like a ii V I in Bb then another ii V I in Gm (relative minor of Bb) before going up a fourth to a C. That part feels sound. Then, it shifts keys to B and I am completely lost by measure 7. If you are bored, I would sure like some help in sorting out this song. Thanks!

C-7 F7
    D/Bb Bbmaj7
    Adim D7
    G-7 C7

Bmaj7 F#maj7/A#
    G#-7 Bmaj7/F#
    Gbmaj9 Gb7sus
    F- Ddim G7

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Anyone up for a little harmonic analysis? And, can you explain it to me like a toddler? The song itself is only 8 measures long but I start getting confused about half way through. The first half makes sense to me. It looks like a ii V I in Bb then another ii V I in Gm (relative minor of Bb) before going up a fourth to a C. That part feels sound. Then, it shifts keys to B and I am completely lost by measure 7. If you are bored, I would sure like some help in sorting out this song. Thanks!

C-7 F7
    D/Bb Bbmaj7
    Adim D7
    G-7 C7

Bmaj7 F#maj7/A#
    G#-7 Bmaj7/F#
    Gbmaj9 Gb7sus
    F- Ddim G7
    Final 4 measures are a stepwise downward chromatic step by either a half and whole step with the final measure leading back to the C-7.

User Info Menu

The bassline knits it together…

EDIT also the melody

Thanks! I am still learning.... LOL.

Regarding the Gb chords, should I treat them as V (F#) chords in the key of B? Also, where does the F- come from in the last measure as it doesn't belong to Bb or B?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Thanks, David. I did take a look at that. One of the things he says in there regarding the F- is basically "where did that come from?" I was hoping maybe someone could help explain it. I am also curious where the Gb stuff sits harmonically because B has an F# but not a Gb. Should they be treated as a V of sorts?

User Info Menu

I'm afraid that trying to play this tune is a little out of my wheelhouse but I found this video examining a number of Keith Jarrett's compositions. The look at 'Coral' begins at 4:55

He appears to suggest (from 6:50) that the tune as written has just F- for it's final measure, with the ii-V to C- added by Gary Burton when he recorded the tune. He treats the F- as being the iv of C-.