The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,

in these days i'm studying Bill Evans' tune called "Waltz for Debby", a beautiful song in 3/4, but there's something that i can't understand.

The score which is on Real Book, has 20 bars on the part 3, the last part of the tune, but listening the recording it seems that there are 22 bars instead of 20!

I don't know if anybody could help me!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    Hi everybody,

in these days i'm studying Bill Evans' tune called "Waltz for Debby", a beautiful song in 3/4, but there's something that i can't understand.

The score which is on Real Book, has 20 bars on the part 3, the last part of the tune, but listening the recording it seems that there are 22 bars instead of 20!

I don't know if anybody could help me!
    I think Bill often repeated those two bars near the end of the form, if you listen to a version with lyrics (see Bill with Tony Bennett) it'd be "They will miss her I fear but then so will/ Miss her I fear but then so will I"

Builds a bit of tension under the pedal point and then gets swinging for the solos.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think Bill often repeated those two bars near the end of the form, if you listen to a version with lyrics (see Bill with Tony Bennett) it'd be "They will miss her I fear but then so will/ Miss her I fear but then so will I"

Builds a bit of tension under the pedal point and then gets swinging for the solos.
    Also this version seems 80 bars instead of 78!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    Also this version seems 80 bars instead of 78!

I'd count it as 40 bars, but the form is correct here, does not contain that added "tag" I mentioned above...I like it as a 2/4 bossa feel.

I'll check my Real Book when I get home and see what's missing. Do you have an old one or a Hal Leonard "Sixth Edition?"
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 10-19-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd count it as 40 bars, but the form is correct here, does not contain that added "tag" I mentioned above...I like it as a 2/4 bossa feel.

I'll check my Real Book when I get home and see what's missing. Do you have an old one or a Hal Leonard "Sixth Edition?"
    No i have the old version!

User Info Menu

Ah, it is fraught with mistakes...apparently that might be one of them.

At any rate, trust your ears...now just to figure out what's missing!

User Info Menu

This any good for you? It seems pretty complete.

Bill Evans Waltz for Debby-wfd-1-jpgBill Evans Waltz for Debby-wfd-2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This any good for you? It seems pretty complete.

Bill Evans Waltz for Debby-wfd-1-jpgBill Evans Waltz for Debby-wfd-2-jpg
    Yes Thank You

I've found this analysis on internet:

"The tune is 80 bars long. It has an AA1BC construction, where the A and B section are 16 bars each, and the C section is 32 bars.
    Strictly speaking, the C section comprises the first 10 bars of A, a further 10 bars that in essence are a variation of A, and finally 12 bars that resolve the melody.
    However, Evans elides the final 12-bar section of C to 10 bars and uses it as a transitional passage to move into 4/4.
    This is achieved so subtly that many listeners are unaware of what has happened and think the whole performance remains in waltz time.
    This is because LaFaro plays a highly embellished "alla breve" time in 4/4, which echoes the compound time feel of the main body of the theme spread over the previous 68 bars leading-up to the transistional 10-bar passage.
    At the end of bar 78 of the now modified first chorus, there is a subtle shift in the harmonic backdrop for soloing as the form changes to a 40-bar ABC construction with A and C 16 bars each plus a B section of 8 bars.
    The harmonic movement of the revised ABC section is distinguished by a frequent use of II-V progressions, probably the most definitve chord movement in the mainstream of jazz.
    Evans takes three choruses on the revised form, followed by LaFaroand a return to the main 80-bar theme in 3/4."

User Info Menu

What I like is the way the inversion line on the chords goes down... and down.

G - F - E - Eb - D - Db - C Bb - A

Nice :-)

User Info Menu

I can’t abide the parallel octave in the otherwise very elegant counterpoint of this tune. It just bugs me. I always have to change that note.

i think I’ve spent too long in the c18…..

User Info Menu

The confusion may be caused by the fact that there are two slightly different versions of the tune, the one with lyrics (by Gene Lees) and the instrumental version that Bill Evans plays.

Bill goes into 4/4 time in his second ending (and back to 3/4 in the Coda), and so it has 10 bars rather than the 12 bars of the first 3/4 ending. The Bill Evans Fake Book has both versions, I could post the lead sheets later if you like.

User Info Menu

Attached are the two leads sheets (instrumental & vocal versions) from the Bill Evans Fake Book and a chord melody I did of the song using Evans choice of chords whenever possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mick-7; 03-21-2024 at 05:31 PM.