The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So, spending more time on YouTube than I should, I discovered a nice Bill Withers tune that I wasn’t aware of. Done as a Bossa Nova, it made me wonder why it wasn’t a huge hit. Done by everyone from Nancy Wilson to guitarist Jose James, here with complete orchestration.

I love discovering old tunes done to a nice Bossa groove. The harmony is simplistic, yet the lyrics are really good. Check it out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice orchestral arrangement and great vocals.

I saw Bill Withers perform this live back in the day in Hollywood. I think he'd be proud of this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Nice orchestral arrangement and great vocals.

I saw Bill Withers perform this live back in the day in Hollywood. I think he'd be proud of this version.
    I bet that was some concert! I can’t believe I never heard this cut until 47 years after it was written. Well, better late than neva.

Btw, James is signed to the Blue Note label, and does a seriously good Gil Scott Heron impression.

I’ve been doing some reading up on James. Apparently, he has quite a following. Okay, I’m just late to the party.

He’s done an entire tribute album of Bill Wither’s music selected from some 9 albums of music created by Bill.

The album was recorded with jazz musicians at the famed Capital Records Studios. Yeah, that place, where so many greats recorded, aka the place that put Frank Sinatra on wax when Frank was making a comeback in the mid 50’s.

Here’s his recorded version of this tune. Enjoy.