The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

For the rock fans. I know Little Wing is in a special place for us.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Yes indeed, I was keeping it together but started choking up a bit about the time I saw the bass make the instrument switch, could feel it coming...!

User Info Menu

While I found this version rock solid [sic] and liked the openness of the singer’s voice who didn’t over-soul to much it comes nowhere near SRV’s instrumental version IMHO — close to 7 min of dynamics and he does not run out of ideas. He has a real story to tell and you can feel that he has gone through some things. The Main Squeeze’s version lacks that depth for me.

And I like this jazz version as well. There is something special about Sting’s voice — a certain kind of yearning, he was probably already a spiritual person at that time. (There is a very nice ’Round Midnight rendition with Andy Summers on YT BTW in case s/o does not know it yet.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

If you haven't heard this, it's worth hearing...

And if you haven't seen this, it's worth watching...

User Info Menu

won’t let me post it; google Laurence Juber Little Wing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If you haven't heard this, it's worth hearing...

And if you haven't seen this, it's worth watching...

It’s true that AI is only as good as the prorammer. The bot in the second video has a bug in the timing / groove algorithm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    won’t let me post it; google Laurence Juber Little Wing

I have watched the Laurence Juber version and while I have to to say that he has great chops one thing gets lost for me in all that flashy hammering-on and pulling-off — too much showmanship for me and I miss the tenderness of the original.

The origin of Hendrix’ ballad style comes from gospel music and served to accompany a gospel (vocal) quartet. The hammer-ons, pull-offs and sliding fourth are chordal embellishments. Listen e.g. to the interludes in this:

Jimi played for a while in a soul band called The Valentinos whose origins was this gospel group:

(One member of the Womack brothers was Bobby Womack who was also an exponent of that gospel / soul guitar style.)

User Info Menu

TBH, I have always felt the SRV's Little Wing was haphazard. I think there are points where he wants to end it but goes on just because he can't control himself.

User Info Menu

TBH, I have always felt the SRV's Little Wing was haphazard. I think there are points where he wants to end it but goes on just because he can't control himself.
    Could you please point me to those points (in timecode of the above video)?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Could you please point me to those points (in timecode of the above video)?
    When I have a chance to listen to it. I am working.

Various repeats but by the time about 5:50 rolls around he could have killed it for sure. It's a great part but I think that he plays it nearly same about six times. And I am not ripping on SRV. It's jam that he dug. I get that.
    Last edited by lammie200; 09-22-2022 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I have played Little Wing at nearly every gig--jazz or otherwise--for 40-plus years. Regardless of the composition of the audience it never fails to get a good response. Hendrix hit it out of the park on that one.